The Student Room Group

I have failed my AS exams but still want to go to uni.

I have failed my AS exams (b in sociology, e in psychology, e in English lit and Lang and u in maths). I had a meeting with the school and they were positive that I would come back and they were going to check with teachers that they would let me back in. Now I had my first day at school they have changed there mind and gave me some options. I could re do all of year 12 which I don't want to do as I have a B in sociology. I would prefer to carry on sociology to A2 and repeat maths and psychology and carry that on after my retakes to AS which is another option teachers have suggested. Another is that I do A2 sociology and pick up a double btec course (health and social) and do both years in one. I want to go to uni and I know some I can get it on points alone and do the btec option. However, if I stay and do another year to get 3 A2's I have heard univeristies don't like students who have taken 3 years to do their A-Levels. I had a lot of time off school because I was in hospital so I played a lot of catch up. What should I do?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
I had a similar issue last year. i got CDU in history biology psychology. I opted just to re do yr12 and it was probably the best decision. I wanted to continue with the history but it unfortunately did not fit with the timetable so i had to start it again.
Reply 2
The AS this year doesnt count anyways, so its not nevessary to redo the year just revise really hard.
Original post by tr.12
The AS this year doesnt count anyways, so its not nevessary to redo the year just revise really hard.

I'd say 50% of each of your overall A-Level grades is pretty significant.
Reply 4
Original post by Crack Cupcake
I'd say 50% of each of your overall A-Level grades is pretty significant.

AS levels are linear now, so they literally do not count towards any percentage of the alevel.
Original post by Anonymous468
I have failed my AS exams (b in sociology, e in psychology, e in English lit and Lang and u in maths). I had a meeting with the school and they were positive that I would come back and they were going to check with teachers that they would let me back in. Now I had my first day at school they have changed there mind and gave me some options. I could re do all of year 12 which I don't want to do as I have a B in sociology. I would prefer to carry on sociology to A2 and repeat maths and psychology and carry that on after my retakes to AS which is another option teachers have suggested. Another is that I do A2 sociology and pick up a double btec course (health and social) and do both years in one. I want to go to uni and I know some I can get it on points alone and do the btec option. However, if I stay and do another year to get 3 A2's I have heard univeristies don't like students who have taken 3 years to do their A-Levels. I had a lot of time off school because I was in hospital so I played a lot of catch up. What should I do?

Don't worry. I also got bad as results so I am retaking the year. I did Chem, bio, psych and sociology and now I am doing bio, psych, history and philosophy and ethics. I guess retaking is a better option than doing your AS alongside your A2s because it will be more stressful. If you start again nice and fresh you would be able to master exam techniques and learn the content if you're doing the same subjects again. Most unis welcome people who have done a levels for 3 years as it shows their persistence and dedication to their subjects which is an essential quality to have if you want to pursue a degree at uni. From what I've heard, only the top 5 - 6 unis actually don't consider you for retakes. Why don't you email the universities admissions team to see if they would consider you because I called lots of unis including Kings and they replied they would accept me but there will be a higher entry requirement.
Whatever you do make sure you mention the fact you were in hospital a lot as it's "extenuating circumstances" (I think)....Stress that point and work harder.
Original post by tr.12
AS levels are linear now, so they literally do not count towards any percentage of the alevel.

I believe that's only in England. Northern Ireland and Wales still have your AS grades count to your overall A-Level grades.
Reply 8
If I went down the btec route would that harm my chances even more at uni then doing my A-Levels in three years?

Quick Reply

Latest