The Student Room Group

What should I drop???

I got BCCC in german, physics, chemistry and maths. I don't know whether I should drop physics or german.
My chemistry teacher will predict me a C and given this I thought I'll carry on with German because I'll be predicted an A so overall I will have more favourable predictions.
However I got an A in paper 1 for physics and I was feeling sick for paper 2 so I got a D and i'm considering continuing it.
I'm really unsure what to drop. Do I continue with a subject that I don't mind just so I'll have better predicted grades? Or shall I risk a bad grade with physics (sometimes I do well sometimes I do bad hence the A and D)?

Scroll to see replies

Well what do you intend to study at uni?

As much as I want to say continue studying German because it's a highly underrated language and languages in general are a big asset these days, the rest of your a levels seem more STEM subject focused so keeping Physics seems like the better idea.

German at A2 also gets incredibly hard the gap between AS and A2 is huge
Original post by tictactao
Well what do you intend to study at uni?

As much as I want to say continue studying German because it's a highly underrated language and languages in general are a big asset these days, the rest of your a levels seem more STEM subject focused so keeping Physics seems like the better idea.

German at A2 also gets incredibly hard the gap between AS and A2 is huge

I want to study Chemical Engineering and most universities I'm considering are happy with a levels in Chemistry and Maths and any other third subject. Did you do A2 German? I'm not finding it too bad at the moment although the translating element seems stressful. Whereas I kinda struggle with physics and I lack a lot of confidence because I'm one of the only girls in my class. Bit confused as to what to do. My physics teacher will only predict me a B (at a push) and my german teacher will predict me an A/B.
Original post by applesandhoney
I want to study Chemical Engineering and most universities I'm considering are happy with a levels in Chemistry and Maths and any other third subject. Did you do A2 German? I'm not finding it too bad at the moment although the translating element seems stressful. Whereas I kinda struggle with physics and I lack a lot of confidence because I'm one of the only girls in my class. Bit confused as to what to do. My physics teacher will only predict me a B (at a push) and my german teacher will predict me an A/B.

Hmmm okay then yes German is probably the way to go - have you started German Literature yet? This can be the make or break element of the course.

I am currently doing A2 German but I know quite a few people who spent so much time on German but didn't end up doing so well. It's quite common with German to do poorly because standards are so high and so few people take it. Marking has also been harsh lately, for my board anyway (Edexcel). I actually am half German but never learnt the grammar properly and am hence learning at school but I've been speaking all my life (albeit terribly) and I only just scraped an A in the oral (my school is weird and they're delaying the rest of the exams until the end of year 13).
Also just to add - not being confident in your class can make a big difference to your grades. I wasn't confident in Maths for a while because my teacher made me feel stupid and my grades suffered and they're still not as good as they used to be. Don't let the large male presence stop you, but if you think you're ultimately going to do better in German than Physics, drop Physics.
I'd say most universities, regardless of what course it is you're applying for, love to see a language in there. Physics gets much harder at A2 (that's what one of my Physics teachers has told me, anyway), and I honestly think that having Maths is good enough as it is. And I needn't mention that German is clearly your strongest subject in practice.

tl;dr I would drop Physics, given the context, but as always, it's up to you in the end.

Also, I was the only male in my AS French class, so you're not alone there :P
Hmmm okay then yes German is probably the way to go - have you started German Literature yet? This can be the make or break element of the course.

I am currently doing A2 German but I know quite a few people who spent so much time on German but didn't end up doing so well. It's quite common with German to do poorly because standards are so high and so few people take it. Marking has also been harsh lately, for my board anyway (Edexcel). I actually am half German but never learnt the grammar properly and am hence learning at school but I've been speaking all my life (albeit terribly) and I only just scraped an A in the oral (my school is weird and they're delaying the rest of the exams until the end of year 13).

We've started reading the literature. My school is doing Der Vorleser and I quite like it. I'm enjoying the themes and characters that we're exploring. We're also looking at the film Die Welle which again I really like because of the total Wendepunkt (slipping German words into English sentences haha) at the end.

I understand what you mean with standards being so high. I reckon it's because so many native speakers take the qualification hence the horrific grade boundaries. I was only one mark off an A and I was a bit gutted but I struggled tremendously with the speaking all year and it took me ages just to speak for extended periods of time because I found it so scary haha.

We're doing AQA and the marking doesn't seem totally crazy but it is still harsh.
We've started reading the literature. My school is doing Der Vorleser and I quite like it. I'm enjoying the themes and characters that we're exploring. We're also looking at the film Die Welle which again I really like because of the total Wendepunkt (slipping German words into English sentences haha) at the end.

I understand what you mean with standards being so high. I reckon it's because so many native speakers take the qualification hence the horrific grade boundaries. I was only one mark off an A and I was a bit gutted but I struggled tremendously with the speaking all year and it took me ages just to speak for extended periods of time because I found it so scary haha.

We're doing AQA and the marking doesn't seem totally crazy but it is still harsh.

I know what you mean about the speaking for extend periods of time thing - my friend who I do German with really struggled with this last year but she's getting better at it now.

You're so lucky that you're able to look at a film, especially one as good as Die Welle. It's absolutely fantastic and there's lots to say about it. IT sounds to me like German is the best option for you, and one which will definitely make you stand out from the crowd
Original post by Crack Cupcake
I'd say most universities, regardless of what course it is you're applying for, love to see a language in there. Physics gets much harder at A2 (that's what one of my Physics teachers has told me, anyway), and I honestly think that having Maths is good enough as it is. And I needn't mention that German is clearly your strongest subject in practice.

tl;dr I would drop Physics, given the context, but as always, it's up to you in the end.

Also, I was the only male in my AS French class, so you're not alone there :P

I'm the only female in my German class too haha wow I can feel your pain. You don't realise how much being isolated from the people in your class has an affect on your grades. I started talking to the others eventually but the first few weeks were horrible.

Physics does get harder I'm a bit behind already which isn't exactly helping haha.
Also just to add - not being confident in your class can make a big difference to your grades. I wasn't confident in Maths for a while because my teacher made me feel stupid and my grades suffered and they're still not as good as they used to be. Don't let the large male presence stop you, but if you think you're ultimately going to do better in German than Physics, drop Physics.

I agree your confidence levels really do make a big difference to how well you do. I'm really unsure I could do terrible in both haha I have more motivation for German though.
I know what you mean about the speaking for extend periods of time thing - my friend who I do German with really struggled with this last year but she's getting better at it now.

You're so lucky that you're able to look at a film, especially one as good as Die Welle. It's absolutely fantastic and there's lots to say about it. IT sounds to me like German is the best option for you, and one which will definitely make you stand out from the crowd

Hats off to your friends it feels so good to succeed at something you're struggling with. I think i've made up my mind to drop physics but sometimes I worry about making the wrong decisions haha.
I'm the only female in my German class too haha wow I can feel your pain. You don't realise how much being isolated from the people in your class has an affect on your grades. I started talking to the others eventually but the first few weeks were horrible.

Physics does get harder I'm a bit behind already which isn't exactly helping haha.

My german class is only two people including me! That's probably why I'm doing well though because the other girl is my best friend and that's why I enjoy it so much. Motivation is also key in doing well because when it comes to exam time and you're questioning why you don't just drop out, liking your subject will pull you through
Do you have to drop a subject?

As long as you are doing subjects that are necessary to your uni application, it can be useful to base choice of additional subjects in what you're doing well in.
My german class is only two people including me! That's probably why I'm doing well though because the other girl is my best friend and that's why I enjoy it so much. Motivation is also key in doing well because when it comes to exam time and you're questioning why you don't just drop out, liking your subject will pull you through

3 people dropped german and now the class has only 4 people. I like smaller classes though you get more help when you don't understand something. Yeah motivation does play a big part in things last year for physics I kinda gave up towards the last couple of days of revision haha. How did you do in your AS levels?
Original post by beautifulbigmacs
Do you have to drop a subject?

As long as you are doing subjects that are necessary to your uni application, it can be useful to base choice of additional subjects in what you're doing well in.

I do have the choice of continuing all four subjects however due to health problems I don't want the added stress of an extra A Level which I don't need to apply to university. Also I don't want to jeopardise getting good grades in 3 A Levels by chasing 4.
3 people dropped german and now the class has only 4 people. I like smaller classes though you get more help when you don't understand something. Yeah motivation does play a big part in things last year for physics I kinda gave up towards the last couple of days of revision haha. How did you do in your AS levels?

My school is having us do AS and A2 at the end of year 13 so all i did was german oral and S1. German oral I scraped an A but my teacher insists I could get a lot more UMS points so i might retake. How about you?
My school is having us do AS and A2 at the end of year 13 so all i did was german oral and S1. German oral I scraped an A but my teacher insists I could get a lot more UMS points so i might retake. How about you?

I got a high B in German oral ( 1 mark off an A) and a B in the writing/reading/listening. I might retake the writing/reading/listening because I could pick up a few extra marks but I'll see how it goes.
I do have the choice of continuing all four subjects however due to health problems I don't want the added stress of an extra A Level which I don't need to apply to university. Also I don't want to jeopardise getting good grades in 3 A Levels by chasing 4.

Good strategy. With this in mind, if you find German generally more manageable than Physics, if neither make a difference to your uni application then I'd go with German.
Original post by beautifulbigmacs
Good strategy. With this in mind, if you find German generally more manageable than Physics, if neither make a difference to your uni application then I'd go with German.

Thanks for your advice :biggrin:
If you're considering engineering then physics is one of the most important and useful A-levels.

Quick Reply

Latest