The Student Room Group

Did I pick the wrong subjects?

To keep it short, I got decent grades at gcse: 5A's 2B's 2C's.

The A's were in important subjects so I can do most of the A level subjects I want to. I chose French, Media Studies, Business Studies and EPQ.

Did I screw up?

Most of these are on university's soft lists, is this going to hinder me getting into a decent uni?

Languages are what I want to do at Uni (I've seen an eastern languages course at oxford that I probably want to aim for) and even though I've got AS to get through first, am I going to have no chance at getting into a good uni now?

Also, I don't particularly want to switch to anything else. I got through Secondary School doing 'just enough' work to get decent grades in everything that wasn't french, media and business since the only things that I were interested in were the ones I chose at A-Levels.
yeah media and business can be considered soft, but french is a really good subject to have if you are good at it, because most people find it hard!
Reply 2
As long as your A Level correlates to what you want to study, it should be okay... as you want to do a language, doing French is really good :smile: plus not everyone does EPQ so that will make you stand out
You could take up a fourth AS in another facilitating subject (French is facilitating) and then drop one of your four after a month after you find out which one you like least? Media studies and business studies are frowned on a bit but if you get great grades then no one can complain. Better to get great grades in subjects you enjoy and are good at than not so good ones in subjects seen as more traditional and 'rigorous' by universities.
Reply 4
Original post by WarriorKnight15
You could take up a fourth AS in another facilitating subject (French is facilitating) and then drop one of your four after a month after you find out which one you like least? Media studies and business studies are frowned on a bit but if you get great grades then no one can complain. Better to get great grades in subjects you enjoy and are good at than not so good ones in subjects seen as more traditional and 'rigorous' by universities.

This doesn't seem like too bad of an idea actually. The thing is I hated science (B and a C), my only A's for facilitating subjects would be Maths and English Language. Is AS Maths/English as 'impressive'?

Also are they going to take up a lot of time? I don't want to have to focus on a subject I dont enjoy for the sake of it being impressive to a University.
maths is really good to have, but if you dont like maths it can be hard to learn, you need to put effort into it, just like your other subjects
Reply 6
Original post by jarjarbinkss
maths is really good to have, but if you dont like maths it can be hard to learn, you need to put effort into it, just like your other subjects

I got an A in Maths but still didn't find it particularly interesting. Will it be as facilitating as just an AS since I really have no interest in A2 Maths,
Original post by Noxull
I got an A in Maths but still didn't find it particularly interesting. Will it be as facilitating as just an AS since I really have no interest in A2 Maths,

This might be useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18tZswvlLr4&list=PLy5ETTP3287zNzWzoQuiOr795z2YdseEi&index=1

Quick Reply

Latest