The Student Room Group

HELP COMPUTING A-LEVEL without computing gcse

Hi, i picked computing a-level without doing computing gcse. i feel like i am going to be confused for the whole year. how bad will a struggle and what can i do at home to make me catch up with people that did computing gcse. P.S i think the board is going to be ocr since for gcse it was ocr.
Original post by ahmed3140
Hi, i picked computing a-level without doing computing gcse. i feel like i am going to be confused for the whole year. how bad will a struggle and what can i do at home to make me catch up with people that did computing gcse. P.S i think the board is going to be ocr since for gcse it was ocr.

Hey i did computing at gcse and I found it really, really hard. I understood nothing.This was mainly because everybody in my class had at least SOME programming experience but I had none. So I struggled and I was basically behind for the entire 2 years. For me computing at gcse was absolute hell (especially since it was ocr!) and I found it unbelievably confusing and hard. In the end, I still managed to get a B grade, but this was with a lot of struggling. Bear in mind that this is gcse, and a levels are 1000x harder and require a lot more effort.

So I recommend you should have at least some programming experience, or you will struggle. Whatever you choose, I wish you the best of luck!x:biggrin:
Reply 2
You'll be new to things which people in your class who did GCSE are probably familiar with BUT your teacher will acknowledge this and will probably help you out more.

It may take a bit more effort to understand stuff but I wouldn't say you're gonna feel so behind for 2 years. First few weeks will be a little difficult for you - just pay good attention in lessons, and ASK QUESTIONS - whenever you don't understand something. Even if it sounds "stupid" ask anyway it is how you will progress!
Reply 3
Original post by sunshine774
Hey i did computing at gcse and I found it really, really hard. I understood nothing.This was mainly because everybody in my class had at least SOME programming experience but I had none. So I struggled and I was basically behind for the entire 2 years. For me computing at gcse was absolute hell (especially since it was ocr!) and I found it unbelievably confusing and hard. In the end, I still managed to get a B grade, but this was with a lot of struggling. Bear in mind that this is gcse, and a levels are 1000x harder and require a lot more effort.

So I recommend you should have at least some programming experience, or you will struggle. Whatever you choose, I wish you the best of luck!x:biggrin:

What programing language should I get familiar with since you did ocr gcse like my school
Original post by ahmed3140
What programing language should I get familiar with since you did ocr gcse like my school

Practise programming anything and everything on python IDE!

Quick Reply

Latest