The Student Room Group

Jobstestprep or Assessmentday?

Hi, I am thinking of buying either jobstestprep or assessmentday bundle pack to practice for tests; has anyone here had any experience with those? Which would you reccomend? Assessment day is subsantially cheaper, but it doesn't seem to offer proper tutorials/tips.

Thanks.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Last year I used JobTestPrep, this year I decided to go for AssessmentDay, because it was cheaper.

They are both similar but JobTestPrep gives better tips on how to solve the questions quicker, while AssessmentDay just goes through the calculations even if they are half page long. Although, I think both will prepare you.

One thing I like about AssessmentDay is that when you finish a test, it shows how you did compared to everyone else (percentile), though it could be easily misleading.
Reply 2
Original post by FiiL
Last year I used JobTestPrep, this year I decided to go for AssessmentDay, because it was cheaper.

They are both similar but JobTestPrep gives better tips on how to solve the questions quicker, while AssessmentDay just goes through the calculations even if they are half page long. Although, I think both will prepare you.

One thing I like about AssessmentDay is that when you finish a test, it shows how you did compared to everyone else (percentile), though it could be easily misleading.

Considering it's my first time dealing with these tests, do you think jobstestprep would be worth the extra money?
Also it works that you can use it for just like 4 months and then you have to buy it again right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Adrono
Considering it's my first time dealing with these tests, do you think jobstestprep would be worth the extra money?
Also it works that you can use it for just like 4 months and then you have to buy it again right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends on you. Last year I applied for spring weeks and did not fail a single test. The license was for 3 or 4 months but it took me 1 or 2 weeks to do all the tests (I bought just the numerical). Try the free ones at first. If you really struggle (<7/20 correct) and have the spare cash, don't hesitate to pay extra. Think of it like an investment. You don't want to be rejected by a robot.
Reply 4
Original post by FiiL
Depends on you. Last year I applied for spring weeks and did not fail a single test. The license was for 3 or 4 months but it took me 1 or 2 weeks to do all the tests (I bought just the numerical). Try the free ones at first. If you really struggle (<7/20 correct) and have the spare cash, don't hesitate to pay extra. Think of it like an investment. You don't want to be rejected by a robot.

What makes me dubious about buying jobstestprep is the fact that it offers bundle packs in either SHL, Xenexa or the other type, not all together, unlike Assessment day. Would I be fine just practicing on SHL? Some banks like CS I've read use the Xenexa format, for example.

What spring weeks did you apply to by the way? You got any offers :smile:?
Reply 5
Original post by Adrono
What makes me dubious about buying jobstestprep is the fact that it offers bundle packs in either SHL, Xenexa or the other type, not all together, unlike Assessment day. Would I be fine just practicing on SHL? Some banks like CS I've read use the Xenexa format, for example.

What spring weeks did you apply to by the way? You got any offers :smile:?
If you mean Kenexa, then they are really similar with SHL. I think I went with SHL. TalentQ was just for Bank of England and one more ib if I recall correctly.

Unfortunately, I did not get any SWs but my application is way more competitive now. My CV was pure **** last year.

What are you going to apply to?
Reply 6
Original post by FiiL
If you mean Kenexa, then they are really similar with SHL. I think I went with SHL. TalentQ was just for Bank of England and one more ib if I recall correctly.

Unfortunately, I did not get any SWs but my application is way more competitive now. My CV was pure **** last year.

Yeah I meant Kenexa hahaha. Just started to learn the names.

Ah sorry to hear that. Which uni you go to? Can't tell what my CV is gonna look like since I got no work experience or relevant EC's whatsoever - was that your case too? It's not like we get to have clubs/societies at high school in Italy anyways.
Reply 7
Original post by Adrono
Yeah I meant Kenexa hahaha. Just started to learn the names.

Ah sorry to hear that. Which uni you go to? Can't tell what my CV is gonna look like since I got no work experience or relevant EC's whatsoever - was that your case too? It's not like we get to have clubs/societies at high school in Italy anyways.

Non-target with decent internships and ECs. I think formatting was the biggest issue with my CV. If you don't have, create one.
Original post by FiiL

I can sense the Scottish

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Princepieman
I can sense the Scottish

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are on the right track. Seems I've picked some jargon. Hope it won't sound funny for an international to speak with Scottish accent during interviews.
Reply 10
Original post by FiiL

Out of the tests you had to do for SW, how many (roughly) involved a test other than a numerical.
I ask as Im getting the impression that they are searching for quantitative people and im assuming all of them have a numerical involved.
Reply 11
Original post by Rkai01
Out of the tests you had to do for SW, how many (roughly) involved a test other than a numerical.
I ask as Im getting the impression that they are searching for quantitative people and im assuming all of them have a numerical involved.

I think there were a couple of verbal and inductive. Can't give you a number, because I don't remember exactly. The type of math is really simple, time is the problem. Just practice. You don't have to be really strong at math.
Reply 12
Original post by FiiL
Non-target with decent internships and ECs. I think formatting was the biggest issue with my CV. If you don't have, create one.

Yeah, I'll soon start looking into it. The format should be the same across all europe right? (talking about this one: https://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/documents/curriculum-vitae/templates-instructions).

By the way, were you invited to any interviews or rejected straight after tests?

p.s. just read your question about which banks I'm going to apply to. Well, as many as possible. I come from a semi(ish?)-target too, York. Want to maximixe my chances of getting interviews :smile:.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Adrono
Yeah, I'll soon start looking into it. The format should be the same across all europe right? (talking about this one: https://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/documents/curriculum-vitae/templates-instructions).

By the way, were you invited to any interviews or rejected straight after tests?

Google the M&I IB Template or WSO Resume for college students.
Original post by Adrono

Definitely do not use that template, as FiiL said, M&I or the wall street oasis one is the way to go.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by FiiL
Google the M&I IB Template or WSO Resume for college students.

Original post by Princepieman
Definitely do not use that template, as FiiL said, M&I or the wall street oasis one is the way to go.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really had no clue. Never looked into how to make a CV. Thanks.

This is the one right? http://www.mergersandinquisitions.com/investment-banking-resume-university-student/
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Adrono

This is the one right? http://www.mergersandinquisitions.com/investment-banking-resume-university-student/
Yes. Try both templates, print your CVs and then decide which looks better.
Reply 17
Original post by FiiL
Yes. Try both templates, print your CVs and then decide which looks better.

Okay. Is it advisable to convert it into PDF once I've finished it?
Reply 18
Original post by Adrono
Okay. Is it advisable to convert it into PDF once I've finished it?

Yes
Original post by Adrono

It's more because you should never put anything like your date of birth, gender and picture on a CV in the UK. Anti-discrimination laws exist for a reason.

Remember to keep everything to 1 page.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending