The Student Room Group

lied on CV

*** title says CV but its supposed to say application *** Apologies.

I lied on my application about my A levels. They weren't the best in the world but I got into a decent university not top 20 with extenuating circumstances studying mathematics. Do banks check if I actually got these ? The only reason I lied is because most of these investment banks have 300+ Ucas requirements and I didn't get that.

In reality I did badly and got around 200 Ucas points because my mother had a serious illness and I was at home most of the time helping her out and looking after her.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bank100
*** title says CV but its supposed to say application *** Apologies.

I lied on my application about my A levels. They weren't the best in the world but I got into a decent university not top 20 with extenuating circumstances studying mathematics. Do banks check if I actually got these ? The only reason I lied is because most of these investment banks have 300+ Ucas requirements and I didn't get that.

In reality I did badly and got around 200 Ucas points because my mother had a serious illness and I was at home most of the time helping her out and looking after her.

Yes, they check. You've quite possibly blown all that work you've done since then by lying. The 300+ UCAS requirements are rarely a hard limit and are rarely only checked by a computer, a human makes a judgement. It never was a rock hard minimum and even less so (and some basic research would have shown that. If a university can make a judgement that your grades don't reflect your ability and you prove that in your achievements on a degree course, then so can an employer.

I'd recommend you withdraw your applications and re-apply with the truth.
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
Yes, they check. You've quite possibly blown all that work you've done since then by lying. The 300+ UCAS requirements are rarely a hard limit and are rarely only checked by a computer, a human makes a judgement. It never was a rock hard minimum and even less so (and some basic research would have shown that. If a university can make a judgement that your grades don't reflect your ability and you prove that in your achievements on a degree course, then so can an employer.

I'd recommend you withdraw your applications and re-apply with the truth.

Do you think I should let the bank know about my circumstances why my grades were bad. I just feel that I will be automatically rejected if I put my low A level grades in.
Original post by bank100
Do you think I should let the bank know about my circumstances why my grades were bad. I just feel that I will be automatically rejected if I put my low A level grades in.

You covering letter, or the section on the application form where you put the equivalent in, should say something brief like

(A levels severely disrupted by caring duties for a parent)
Reply 4
Original post by threeportdrift
You covering letter, or the section on the application form where you put the equivalent in, should say something brief like

(A levels severely disrupted by caring duties for a parent)

Thank you I will do this. I only did my first application form and was really worried that I had lied because it says minimum 320 Ucas points and I felt really bad that I didn't achieve this because of my lack of attendance at college and other duties at home. I really hope they take my circumstances into their decision whether or not I am accepted.
without integrity, you won't get very far
Most applications forms have extenuating circumstances boxes for you to fill in. A bank would obviously take this into account. If your university grades are good then I don't think you'll have a big problem. Just have plenty of extra curricular activities on your CV
(edited 7 years ago)
Depends.

My brother works at a top job, and they think he got 300+ UCAS points, which he certainly didn't.

If this is your second serious job, and you've already finished university then nobody actually checks A levels.
They just want photocopies of your university diploma and references.

Original post by gr8wizard10
without integrity, you won't get very far

I think it's a sad fact of life that this isn't very true.
You think the top investment bankers are the noblest of people?
(edited 7 years ago)
Not going to make a very good banker with that kind of thinking. These were how your options were gonna play out:

You lie:
1) You get through only to be thrown out later for lying.

You don't lie:1) You get thrown out automatically by system.
2) You put down Extenuating Circumstances (most forms have them) and if its human checked and you are let through.

The first option has no outcome where you get through. Leave that first form and just don't lie on the rest. If you get thrown out, you get thrown out. What can you do?
Reply 9
Original post by hollywoodbudgie
Depends.

My brother works at a top job, and they think he got 300+ UCAS points, which he certainly didn't.

If this is your second serious job, and you've already finished university then nobody actually checks A levels.
They just want photocopies of your university diploma and references.

This would be me applying for internships at a bank. So first serious job
Reply 10
Original post by alexjones1994
Not going to make a very good banker with that kind of thinking. These were how your options were gonna play out:

You lie:
1) You get through only to be thrown out later for lying.

You don't lie:1) You get thrown out automatically by system.
2) You put down Extenuating Circumstances (most forms have them) and if its human checked and you are let through.

The first option has no outcome where you get through. Leave that first form and just don't lie on the rest. If you get thrown out, you get thrown out. What can you do?

Thank you very much for the advice. I think I will do as you say put my real grades and mention extenuating circumstances
Reply 11
Thank you to everyone who has replied
Original post by hollywoodbudgie

is op a top investment banker that pulls in millions for their bank, or an easily replacable student who has just lied on their application?

once you're an asset, by all measn do whatever the hell you want aslong as you're profitable and make money.. noone cares, but lie on an application as a student... ding.

once you get background checked, no matter how far you go.. you'll get rejected/fired.. and i know this happens at the firm im at
You have a legitimate reason.
If you lie you are showing that you are dishonest and how ood will that look to an employer?
If you lie the its actually a criminal offence. If you get the job and they find out you will be fired immediately.
That potnetially poses a problem for your resgustration as a fit and proper person with the regulatory financial services body.

Is it worth the risk?
Reply 14
Original post by gr8wizard10
is op a top investment banker that pulls in millions for their bank, or an easily replacable student who has just lied on their application?

once you're an asset, by all measn do whatever the hell you want aslong as you're profitable and make money.. noone cares, but lie on an application as a student... ding.

once you get background checked, no matter how far you go.. you'll get rejected/fired.. and i know this happens at the firm im at

If you don't mind saying what firm are you at ? Also what division.
Reply 15
Original post by 999tigger
You have a legitimate reason.
If you lie you are showing that you are dishonest and how ood will that look to an employer?
If you lie the its actually a criminal offence. If you get the job and they find out you will be fired immediately.
That potnetially poses a problem for your resgustration as a fit and proper person with the regulatory financial services body.

Is it worth the risk?

I understand it's just that I'm really worried about it and made a stupid mistake. I plan on asking them to amend my application and I will tell them I have put the wrong grades in and let them know of my circumstances. It's just that I really want this and I just made the big mistake
Original post by bank100
I understand it's just that I'm really worried about it and made a stupid mistake. I plan on asking them to amend my application and I will tell them I have put the wrong grades in and let them know of my circumstances. It's just that I really want this and I just made the big mistake

Its difficult in a way. If you ask for it back and anyone notices, then even having two versions and doiung the right ting could get you elimintated. That is still better thna being caught. Point is if you lied about your A levels then what else did you lie about? its about strength of character not A levels. If they placed you in a positionof trust with millions, then they cant rely on you. Hopefully no one will notice or they might allow you to change. If in doubt go for the truth.
Original post by bank100
If you don't mind saying what firm are you at ? Also what division.

im not at liberty to say.. and m&a
If you can then withdraw the application and reapply, this time with the exact grades and input what happened to your Alevel in the extenuating circumstances section or possibly in your CV. If not then you could try also sending them an email corresponding with the application.

It does not leave a good impression if you lie to a company and they find out when they are following up. It is always a good idea to put your best (and truthful) foot forwards.

If they care about their candidates and are willing to look past the academic entry requirements then it should be okay.

Good luck never the less.
Slightly OT but wouldn't your extenuating circumstances have been taken in to consideration already (and factored in to exams, grades etc) so why should they be 'double counted' in your application?

I'm afraid I don't have any sympathy for you, you lied to make your application better than it really is. You've stuck 2 fingers up to everyone who got 200-300 UCAS points. Hopefully lesson learnt and you won't do it again. Did you lie on all your applications or just this one?

Quick Reply

Latest