The Student Room Group

Failing an Engineering degree.

Hello everyone, as title says, I failed my engineering degree and now I am completely lost of what to do. I am currently thinking of applying externally and resiting some exams to get at least a pass. Is it worth it? Or shall I just take what I've already got and apply for a different degree course?

Have anyone been in the same situation or know someone who've been?
Please, I need a good advise.
Surely resitting would be cheaper? And do you mean you didn't get a 2:1 or did you completely flop the course?
Reply 2
Original post by pairofjeans
Surely resitting would be cheaper? And do you mean you didn't get a 2:1 or did you completely flop the course?

I failed my dissertation... So that kinda messed me up. Had several problems, but it's already late to cry over a broken glass. I need to think of a strategy to move on.
Reply 3
Original post by Jackie801
Hello everyone, as title says, I failed my engineering degree and now I am completely lost of what to do. I am currently thinking of applying externally and resiting some exams to get at least a pass. Is it worth it? Or shall I just take what I've already got and apply for a different degree course?

Have anyone been in the same situation or know someone who've been?
Please, I need a good advise.

Firstly, uni degrees in the UK aren't the same as A Levels - you can't go back and take/retake extra credits to bump up your final mark. There is no concept of being an external candidate - either you're enrolled as a student at the uni, or you aren't. If you have been given your final result, then you have finished your degree and you are no longer enrolled as a student.

If your uni has not already offered you the option to resubmit your dissertation, then that won't be an option - although you could always go back and ask. At my uni, failing a diss would normally result in being offered a rework/resubmission over the summer (if the diss was salvageable) or a complete resubmission on a new topic the following year (if the current diss was entirely beyond the pale). You would only be failed and not be given the option to resubmit, if your teaching staff considered that you had no hope of ever passing it. Even then, if that's all you had failed, you would be offered an Ordinary (non-Honours) degree rather than just an outright fail. Did you fail other aspects such as coursework and exams?

Starting a new degree may not be feasible for a couple of reasons. Firstly, you probably won't get any Student Finance for a second degree (unless it was on the limited exemption list such as nursing or medicine). Secondly, your new uni would expect your academic reference to come for your recent uni. If you have outright failed your degree, this is unlikely to present you in a positive light.

If you can confirm with your current uni that they really are failing you with no option to retake/resubmit, then you just need to move on with your life. Uni isn't for everyone and whilst it feels like the worst thing in the world right now, you will make yourself a perfectly good life without a degree.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Klix88
Firstly, uni degrees in the UK aren't the same as A Levels - you can't go back and take/retake extra credits to bump up your final mark. There is no concept of being an external candidate - either you're enrolled as a student at the uni, or you aren't. If you have been given your final result, then you have finished your degree and you are no longer enrolled as a student.

If your uni has not already offered you the option to resubmit your dissertation, then that won't be an option - although you could always go back and ask. At my uni, failing a diss would normally result in being offered a rework/resubmission over the summer (if the diss was salvageable) or a complete resubmission on a new topic the following year (if the current diss was entirely beyond the pale). You would only be failed and not be given the option to resubmit, if your teaching staff considered that you had no hope of ever passing it. Even then, if that's all you had failed, you would be offered an Ordinary (non-Honours) degree rather than just an outright fail. Did you fail other aspects such as coursework and exams?

Starting a new degree may not be feasible for a couple of reasons. Firstly, you probably won't get any Student Finance for a second degree (unless it was on the limited exemption list such as nursing or medicine). Secondly, your new uni would expect your academic reference to come for your recent uni. If you have outright failed your degree, this is unlikely to present you in a positive light.

If you can confirm with your current uni that they really are failing you with no option to retake/resubmit, then you just need to move on with your life. Uni isn't for everyone and whilst it feels like the worst thing in the world right now, you will make yourself a perfectly good life without a degree.

Excellent advice, as always.
Was there any indication from the uni that you were heading toward a low grade? Were your grades consistently low? Did you raise any concerns with the uni? Did you have any extenuating circumstances? Are you currently registered as a student at the uni or have you officially left? Do you have any grounds for appeal?
Original post by Jackie801
I failed my dissertation... So that kinda messed me up. Had several problems, but it's already late to cry over a broken glass. I need to think of a strategy to move on.

wait... there's engineering dissertations? Ffs one of the reasons I took it was to avoid dissertations completely. What engineering branch was this?
Reply 7
wait... there's engineering dissertations? Ffs one of the reasons I took it was to avoid dissertations completely. What engineering branch was this?

It will depend on the course, but most degrees will involve some kind of semi-independent research project - even the STEM ones. That usually gives you the "Honours" element of your final qualification. Your course structure will be online and your third year module/unit list should confirm whether or not there is such a thing included in your degree.

My department runs both BA and BSc degrees and you might take heart from knowing that the science-based dissertations are expected to be about half the size (duration and word count) of the ones which are more humanities-geared.

All engineering branches have dissertations, although they're often called a final year project.
Reply 9
Original post by Klix88

Thank you! I talked with my department and yes I am officially not a student anymore. But they did advise me to register as an external student and pass some exams to get a pass degree. This is what I plan to do anyway. Many people say that such degree not worth anything so why bother. But I feel like having a fail in the record is even worse for future. At least if I get a pass I can tell that I did everything to finish what I started.While I know that many people don't use their degree in their current jobs. It still pretty terrifying. I just kinda need to straighten my head and reorganise my plan for future.
Reply 10
Original post by Duncan2012
Was there any indication from the uni that you were heading toward a low grade? Were your grades consistently low? Did you raise any concerns with the uni? Did you have any extenuating circumstances? Are you currently registered as a student at the uni or have you officially left? Do you have any grounds for appeal?

I had consistent depression since year 1. Everything lost meaning to me. On some subjects my marks weren't that high during my second year. I did take a gap year, but it didn't quite help though. I did officially left, I don't think I can appeal...
Reply 11

Yes no matter what engineering discipline you choose you get a dissertation. If you already applied to an engineering degree, my piece of advice would be to get to know research professors during your first 2 years. Find what is of interest to you, ask them if they need help over summer.

Many final year students struggle because they don't really know their supervisor well, and while some supervisors are very supportive and helpful others may be dismissive and ignoring. But again, it doesn't mean that supervisor is bad, usually it is because those professors are way busier and practically have no time.

Most importantly make sure you enjoy your course and know how to motivate yourself to go further. Always remind yourself why you are doing it and reminder should be something bigger than just 'to make parents proud', make it sound that what you do have an impact in the global community, something like that.Good luck in your beginning! I do wish you to have a better university experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending