The Student Room Group

RNR v URNU

Hi,I've just had my first night at The Royal Navy Reserves but have recently discovered that a University close to me has URNU. I'm starting to reconsider whether I have made the right choice joining the RNR. The thing is, I'm a Nursing Student and to pass as part of the RNR you must go away for 2 weeks out of the year. In my second and third year at Uni I'm going to be on placement a lot! And I'm worried I won't have time to complete this training!I'm considering a career in the RN after uni and hoped the RNR would give me some experience before I potentially join full time but then the URNU would give me experience too!!I've already signed my attestation papers last week and I think it would look terrible on me if I left after 1 week! My next placement doesn't start until November...so what should I do????Start at URNU when it starts back in 2 weeks and continue with RNR and let them know I'm having second thoughts or Keep going with RNR and try and fit it in around my studies? I'm just worried I won't have enough time when it comes to placement!!! HELP!!!!
Did you talk to the RNR recruiter about how it would fit in with your studies at the time? You'd be expected to do a 2 week deployment in the URNU as well, and there may be a little less flexibility about when that happens.
Original post by CurlyBen
Did you talk to the RNR recruiter about how it would fit in with your studies at the time? You'd be expected to do a 2 week deployment in the URNU as well, and there may be a little less flexibility about when that happens.

The difference is, URNU is designed for university students, seeing as it exists FOR university students. That means any summer camps and the like are planned to fit around student needs.
Original post by ProStacker
The difference is, URNU is designed for university students, seeing as it exists FOR university students. That means any summer camps and the like are planned to fit around student needs.

Oh I know, I was a member for a couple of years, but nursing placements don't necessarily follow typical university holidays. We had a nursing student in the URNU when I was a member and I don't think she was able to make any of the deployments. I don't know whether RNR would be any better but it would be worth asking the question.
Reply 4
Original post by CurlyBen
Oh I know, I was a member for a couple of years, but nursing placements don't necessarily follow typical university holidays. We had a nursing student in the URNU when I was a member and I don't think she was able to make any of the deployments. I don't know whether RNR would be any better but it would be worth asking the question.

But allowances would be made for such a person in a student environment that perhaps wouldn't be in an organisation that expected you to be getting ready to deploy overseas.

My UAS had several medics on the squadron who couldn't make all the allotted time other cadets were 'supposed' to, but it was understood because of the nature of their course that certain allowances had to be made. That was fine because we were a student organisation first and foremost.
thanks for all the help so far guys and gals. I'm going to have to have a BIG think about what I need to do and ask a load of questions in the next couple of weeks. If URNU gives allowances for these types of courses then potentially this might suit me better as I'm not 100% sure RNR would be as lenient!
Original post by Drewski
But allowances would be made for such a person in a student environment that perhaps wouldn't be in an organisation that expected you to be getting ready to deploy overseas.

My UAS had several medics on the squadron who couldn't make all the allotted time other cadets were 'supposed' to, but it was understood because of the nature of their course that certain allowances had to be made. That was fine because we were a student organisation first and foremost.

Yes, and wasn't trying to suggest there would be a problem in joining the URNU but not being able to go on 'deployment' (or any other activities) due to course conflicts. But I would expect (though I don't know) that the RNR would have more options for when to go on the 2 week course, as people in full time work don't have the predictable holiday schedule that university students do. (This is based on the assumption that the OP would want to away for 2 weeks, which in many ways I found to be the most valuable part of being a member).

Quick Reply

Latest