The Student Room Group

Why do people who drop out of education constantly brag about it?

I've noticed this particularly with older people, whenever you mention that you're still in school or are going to uni they always proudly talk about how they don't have any education got a job and graduated from "the university of life". They also love to **** off education and talk about how it doesn't teach "common sense" or anything about the real world as if they're some enlightened ultra successful individuals because they dropped out when in reality they work for minimum wage in a chip shop at 50.

I've also noticed that there seems to be a strong positive correlation between people with this mindset and support for brexit to "kick all the foreigners out". Why is it that so many people who dropped out seem to act like this? Is it because they're insecure about their lack of education?

Scroll to see replies

They are not the brightest of people, so to them, working in that chip shop is a big achievement which they are very proud of. They don't understand that they're actually just an idiot. They can't comprehend how smart people who are in education really are.
And as for the brexit thing, again they're just not smart enough to know how beneficial it is to have immigrants coming to our country and what a huge contribution they make. They think that everyone is the same intelligence level as themselves, so to them, immigrants are just coming to steal their chip shop job.
Reply 2
I had that from my girlfriend's mother at one point. She heartily disapproves of me because I'm not a "typical" or "perfect" man. At one point she called me a snob because I went to university, and started going on about this "university of life" ********. Something something something I talk about it a lot and rub my education in people's faces... or something - which couldn't be further from the truth: I've only ever mentioned it in conjunction with events that happened while I was there, and when I've said it was a waste of time.

My girlfriend herself was disgusted with what he mother said to me that day.
Omg it's people who put the university of life on their Facebook as where they've studied. It's like can you stop being so cringey
There's a YouTube who dropped out of university. He's now really successful. Maybe he just wants to show you can be successful without having to go to university.
The majority of people who say things like this are most likely jealous of people who were able to get into university and like to validate their own beliefs by finding something wrong with people who do. I've literally seen people on websites like the Daily Mail (I only read it when I feel like I'm too optimistic about humanity don't worry) who call students lazy and selfish. Not sure how learning and studying hard for a degree and paying back a £40k and rising loan after it is lazy and selfish but whatever.

There are a minority of people like Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg who dropped out of university and became multi-millionaires, and may every so often talk about how university doesn't help people learn, but you generally need to be quite smart in the first place to not find any part of university beneficial so it's sort of a moot point.
Because they can
Original post by saraxh
There's a YouTube who dropped out of university. He's now really successful. Maybe he just wants to show you can be successful without having to go to university.

Are you talking about JacksGap?
To suppress their feelings of self-disappointment.
(edited 7 years ago)
The only people I've seen to say anything like that were young chavs/scallies. Older people are very encouraging of university, in my experience.:h:
I find it cringeworthy and in poor taste, but I also find people who live through their education just as contemptible, the only successful jobs worth doing (aside from sports stars etc) are people who run successful businesses and to a lesser extent vocational jobs such as research scientists.
It was certainly a popular thing at my school. Some took immense pride in bombing in their GCSEs. Living in an area where you either get an education and sod off to somewhere better or accept crappy job opportunities, their mistake soon caught up with them.

We did employ one as a gardener for a few years. He was a bit slow but did a decent job. However we no longer required his services after he was caught pissing on the frog spawn in our pond.
Original post by Foo.mp3
"Compensators", plus genuinely anti-intellectual partyboys/girls. Pity tha fools :mrt:

More than just individual partyboys/girls, I believe we have an anti-intellectual culture within large parts of our society. Sad to see, really.
Original post by blackdiamond97
Are you talking about JacksGap?

No
Its rubbish if you are referring to people on TSR. All ive seen and iev answered may of these queries are people who are lost, upset and devastated that Uni hasnt worked for them or theyve failed exams.

A university education doesnt give you everything and there are plenty of aspects you need to learn from other sources.
Original post by saraxh

You thinking of Dan Howell?

I mean fair play if you do drop out, but there's a definite difference between people who just found that uni etc wasn't for them and the kind of people being described in the OP.
Original post by Foo.mp3
We do, within contemporary youth culture aye, albeit that most is rather over-dramatised (insincere)/transient, thank ****! :rolleyes:

I'd agree with you when it comes to my demographic and local area. A lot of the anti-intellectualism I saw (and took part in) was just middle class kids acting up at the height of puberty.

However, I've known people from certain backgrounds and parts of the country who have told me that, where they come from, there is a legitimate stigma attached to getting an education and that, for a variety of reasons, it was considered part of the identity of the locals to shun formal education. In my opinion, it's a dangerous and unhelpful attitude to have in a country like ours and damages rational discourse. Of course, to my knowledge, there's no way of telling just how pervasive it is, but I do believe that it exists in sufficiently large numbers to be worth commenting on.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by dairychocolate
More than just individual partyboys/girls, I believe we have an anti-intellectual culture within large parts of our society. Sad to see, really.

I would argue the opposite, society completely lionises intellectuals even though soldiers, farmers and builders do far more to maintain civilisation than poncy professors. We're taught these people are experts and that they know what's best of us, but the more you see of them, the more you realise they're the most disgusting, contemptible and frankly dysfunctional people society has to offer. They're basically idiot savants, good at one thing, but weird and broken inside.
That's old peeps for you innit?

They have no clue about what it's like to be in our generation

My nan is nice though she doesn't say any bad stuff like that

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know many people with degrees who aren’t even using their degrees. Graduating from college doesn’t guarantee success. College dropouts chose a different path, and most end up being hired for the same jobs as college graduates. While you all were taking history and algebra classes, we skipped over all of the bs and found a different route.

Latest