The Student Room Group

University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by physicsmaths
Oh, someone said a black suit is fine.

Yes, that's why I said it's up to you. A black suit is fine, but a dinner suit is better. If you are of a mind to get a tailored suit then in for a penny...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did. And I know a few guys who wore their black suits with a bow tie, instead of proper dinner jacket. As long as it's a right sort of material (very black & smooth) , it's possible to get away with it.
But I think they (or at least one of them) bought a proper black tie for their first May Balls, so switched to that after that.
Original post by alow
Lucky you. I had 6 days of 9-11AM in IA. :eek:No Saturday lectures this year though :biggrin:
I don't think I could handle that :redface: What have you chosen to do this year?
Original post by Zacken
Cheaper for us overall, I think. :tongue:How many dresses are you planning on buying before coming up?
Defo :lol:Not very many...I've bought three smartish ones so far and I may buy a couple more when I go shopping in Manchester, but I'm running low on funds and I feel bad when I ask my parents. This will be me when I get my student loan/bursary though:
8f7b709c7792631e12721a8828d60a82.jpg

(Maybe less of the designer bc I still need to afford food)
Reply 1123
Original post by vincrows
Is the rule stricter than a couple of years ago??
Or is your college stricter than others?

I know it's in the rule, but I hardly know anyone who actually sign out when they leave their college for a night in a weekend.
If it's longer than a few days, probably better to sign out properly (or at least let your friends in your corridor know), but other than that, it's quite free, isn't it? (Unless you miss a supervision or lecture)

I think my college may be stricter than most. Until last year you had to sign out if you were going to be out of college after midnight...

It's fine if you don't get caught, but at Homerton you'll get fined and have to go to the dean if they find out.
Reply 1124
Original post by Serine Soul
I don't think I could handle that :redface: What have you chosen to do this year?

Chem, but unfortunately almost all of the modules I like have 9AM lectures.. :rolleyes:
Original post by alow
I think my college may be stricter than most. Until last year you had to sign out if you were going to be out of college after midnight...

It's fine if you don't get caught, but at Homerton you'll get fined and have to go to the dean if they find out.

At my daughter's and a few other colleges I know, they do have a rule that you have to sign out if you're staying out of college.
But in reality nobody did, unless they are away for more than a few days and miss supervision/lecture, and nobody checked. Some students I know went home (or other pLaces)! quite often over weekend without signing out, but they were OK.

Maybe at Homerton they want to make sure everyone is back at college safely without getting lost somewhere because you're middle of nowhere and so far away?? :tongue:

You can get away with it, unless you want to join the Pitt Club or something. But there will be people who know that you're not correctly dressed - most will never say anything, so it's up to you whether it's important enough to splash the extra cash.

As for going home, most colleges are not as strict as alow describes, and you could probably get away with it. Whether you'll want to on a regular basis is another question.
I don't think I could handle that :redface: What have you chosen to do this year? Defo :lol:Not very many...I've bought three smartish ones so far and I may buy a couple more when I go shopping in Manchester, but I'm running low on funds and I feel bad when I ask my parents. This will be me when I get my student loan/bursary though:
8f7b709c7792631e12721a8828d60a82.jpg

TK Maxx online is your friend.:smile:
Defo :lol:Not very many...I've bought three smartish ones so far and I may buy a couple more when I go shopping in Manchester, but I'm running low on funds and I feel bad when I ask my parents. This will be me when I get my student loan/bursary though:

[...]

Hahaha, you'll have a proper variety of things to wear for formals. I guess you'll have an excuse to go to lots of formals just to get your dresses some use. :lol:

I'm just going to rotate my two suits. :tongue:
Reply 1129
At my daughter's and a few other colleges I know, they do have a rule that you have to sign out if you're staying out of college.
But in reality nobody did, unless they are away for more than a few days and miss supervision/lecture, and nobody checked. Some students I know went home (or other pLaces)! quite often over weekend without signing out, but they were OK.

Maybe at Homerton they want to make sure everyone is back at college safely without getting lost somewhere because you're middle of nowhere and so far away?? :tongue:

Yeah most people don't bother signing out, but if you're gone for only a couple of days it wont really effect your making term so it's probably best not to risk the fine.

To be fair, it does feel like a very long walk when you're drunk :tongue:
Original post by alow
Yeah most people don't bother signing out, but if you're gone for only a couple of days it wont really effect your making term so it's probably best not to risk the fine.

To be fair, it does feel like a very long walk when you're drunk :tongue:

Is your sense of distance not working when you're not drunk? :tongue:
Reply 1131
Is your sense of distance not working when you're not drunk? :tongue:

I don't walk to college when I'm sober, takes far too long :tongue:
Original post by jneill
Yes, that's why I said it's up to you. A black suit is fine, but a dinner suit is better. If you are of a mind to get a tailored suit then in for a penny...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Forget it.
Can't be bothered getting a dinner jacket. 1 suit is enough for me lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Forget it.
Can't be bothered getting a dinner jacket. 1 suit is enough for me lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can decide if you want to invest in a proper black tie or not later, after you saw what others around you are wearing. :wink:
Just get a proper dress shirt. That'd do for the time being.
Also, many formal dress-hire shops sell their second-hand stock at bargain price of you don't want to spend too much.
You can decide if you want to invest in a proper black tie or not later, after you saw what others around you are wearing. :wink:
Just get a proper dress shirt. That'd do for the time being.
Also, many formal dress-hire shops sell their second-hand stock at bargain price of you don't want to spend too much.

Yeh tbh I ain't even paying for my suit my friend is paying for it for me as a gift.
So i might aswell buy a dinner jacket now.
So many decisions. Feel like david cameron. Hope i don't go for a referendum.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeh tbh I ain't even paying for my suit my friend is paying for it for me as a gift.
So i might aswell buy a dinner jacket now.
So many decisions. Feel like david cameron. Hope i don't go for a referendum.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You have a great friend! :smile:
It's your choice. You might want to buy it later anyway (esp. for May Balls), so longer you have, more economical it's going to be. :smile:
As I said, have a look at dress-hire shops in your local shopping centre/s (R****** or I*****? :wink:). They often have sales on their ex-hire suits.
Also, I heard M &S's ones are good value.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1136
Original post by candycake
Hi all, I (somehow) managed to meet my offer, so Cambridge here I come! Any other Homertonians or Education students out there? I'm doing education with english :smile: .

Greetings, old chap / my dear. I have spent the last few days trying to find another person who meets just one of the two criteria you have mentioned, for I too am a Homertonian studying Education (with History, myself). Is there anybody else out there?
Original post by 09dh01
Greetings, old chap / my dear. I have spent the last few days trying to find another person who meets just one of the two criteria you have mentioned, for I too am a Homertonian studying Education (with History, myself). Is there anybody else out there?

Yes
I'm glad I'm not a guy, seems more confusing for them

Looks like I'll have 10am starts every other day
http://www.natsci.tripos.cam.ac.uk/students/first

Looks like I'll have a 9am start every day skn
Original post by PhysicsIP2016
Looks like I'll have a 9am start every day skn

At least you'll finish earlier I suppose!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending