The Student Room Group

In so much pain

My right ear hurts like crazy and I feel dizzy. Should I go to the hospital asap?
Reply 1
Go to A&E.
Ring nhs direct then if you ve got a walk in centre try there before a&e I d think.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by claireestelle
Ring nhs direct then if you ve got a walk in centre try there before a&me I d think.

Thanks I'm going to go in a bit :smile:
Ringing 111 would be a good place to start. They can advise you on whether to get yourself to A&E, whether you need an emergency GP appointment, or whether there is some self care that should be sufficient. Maybe you have an ear infection? Hope you feel better soon!
Original post by Dez
Go to A&E.

Why?
Reply 6
Original post by Etomidate
Why?

GP/walk-in will not be capable of dealing with acute ear pain. Pretty much all they can do is prescribe/administer some painkillers. I'm just advising based on my own experiences here (so I may easily be wrong), but I know that something of this nature is likely to need a hospital visit, and if it's causing a lot of pain then waiting for a referral from a GP isn't a great idea.
The pain is gone but I'm still going just in case.
Reply 8
Original post by Dez
GP/walk-in will not be capable of dealing with acute ear pain. Pretty much all they can do is prescribe/administer some painkillers. I'm just advising based on my own experiences here (so I may easily be wrong), but I know that something of this nature is likely to need a hospital visit, and if it's causing a lot of pain then waiting for a referral from a GP isn't a great idea.

And what do you think A&E will do for a hurty ear?

saraxh

Why? You haven't had an accident, the problem appears to have resolved, there is no emergency. You'll wait several hours and contribute to the overstretching of a painfully under-resourced service.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by saraxh

I'd call 111 to avoid waiting hours at A&E potentially for nothing. They may still suggest A&E, but they could also book you an out of hours doctors appointment or advise you just take pain killers and call your GP in the morning.
If you have had anything like a head injury recently though or have noticed blood or have passe dout or fallen over, go to A&E.
Original post by Kindred
I'd call 111 to avoid waiting hours at A&E potentially for nothing. They may still suggest A&E, but they could also book you an out of hours doctors appointment or advise you just take pain killers and call your GP in the morning.
If you have had anything like a head injury recently though or have noticed blood or have passe dout or fallen over, go to A&E.

Thanks :smile: I've decided to go to the GP tomorrow morning.
Original post by saraxh

You can also call 111 for advice its a free non-emergency NHS service
Original post by saraxh

Good luck. Until then just avoid doing anything like driving or climbing ladders incase you get dizzy again :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Helenia
And what do you think A&E will do for a hurty ear?

Why? You haven't had an accident, the problem appears to have resolved, there is no emergency. You'll wait several hours and contribute to the overstretching of a painfully under-resourced service.

Well in my case, microsurgery. And personally I would count acute pain as an emergency, but I don't know exactly how bad it is for OP. Again, I'm just basing this off personal experience, not medical knowledge.
Go to the Pharm and ask for Nurofen Plus... don't forget the plus :smile:
Original post by Dez
Well in my case, microsurgery. And personally I would count acute pain as an emergency, but I don't know exactly how bad it is for OP. Again, I'm just basing this off personal experience, not medical knowledge.

That would definitely be an exception, rather than the rule! This sort of thing is normally dealt with entirely independently by GPs. There are emergencies and emergencies - I deal with the latter, and a sore ear isn't one of them.
Original post by Anonymous
That would definitely be an exception, rather than the rule! This sort of thing is normally dealt with entirely independently by GPs. There are emergencies and emergencies - I deal with the latter, and a sore ear isn't one of them.

I have no idea why that post was anon :s:
It's a pretty poor reflection on society when people have to go online and ask whether they should get medical attention for something.
Reply 18
Original post by Dez

What kind of third world clinic do you go to? Most GPs are more than equiped to deal with what in all likeliness is a simple ear infection.

Quick Reply

Latest