The Student Room Group

Pokemon GO! Official Thread - now officially released in the UK!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zerforax
Yea I hatched an 800 hitmonchan recently (thunder punch as charge move) which was pretty useless too.

Tbh I think all I want from a 10k egg now is a Snorlax?

Same here but I wouldn't mind an aerodactyl too...
Right now have a load of 2k eggs to hatch and I am planning on walking the long walk tomorrow in Windsor... Hopefully no rain...

So, hoping for a few starters (specifically squirtle and Charmander because I haven't seen a Charmander and all the squirtles I have have really crap IVs...)

Am going back to Bristol on Monday and would like to see what's there. =)
Want some Gastlies really badly... They seem to run away from me all the time. Hell, I have a better chance of catching an Abra than a Gastly...

Did manage to catch a 605CP Machop yesterday. Has good IVs but not sure if I should evolve it or wait?

Posted from TSR Mobile
My god... Have walked 250km playing this game... XD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Donkey******
It seems to suggest it's not random candy, but more likely for every 1km you'll get 1 candy of that type of pokemon. so watch as everyone suddenly has dratini or magikarp following them round.

1km per candy wouldn't be too shabby at all!

Original post by Scienceisgood
Same here but I wouldn't mind an aerodactyl too...
Right now have a load of 2k eggs to hatch and I am planning on walking the long walk tomorrow in Windsor... Hopefully no rain...

So, hoping for a few starters (specifically squirtle and Charmander because I haven't seen a Charmander and all the squirtles I have have really crap IVs...)

Am going back to Bristol on Monday and would like to see what's there. =)
Want some Gastlies really badly... They seem to run away from me all the time. Hell, I have a better chance of catching an Abra than a Gastly...

Did manage to catch a 605CP Machop yesterday. Has good IVs but not sure if I should evolve it or wait?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think Snorlax/Dragonite would be the only ones I would use to battle with.

Yea the rain is going to be a real damper on playing. I can't see myself playing much over the winter tbh. Do you not see many Gastly? I think I've evolved 3 into Haunters now. I should really think about whether I just want XP or worth now trying to evolve some pokemon into final forms for the pokedex..

Use an IV calculator on the machop to see what it would evolve into? If you can't evolve it into a Machamp any time soon then probably don't bother/wait? Might find a better one by the time you get to that stage.
Reply 1563
My god... Have walked 250km playing this game... XD

Posted from TSR Mobile

You've walked 2% of the earth, next Olympic long distance runner right here

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can't see what you hatched from the 10k. I see loads of Jynx in central London too. I think I have about 60 Jynx candy with no use..

Anyone have useful info about the new buddy system?

I think that is the text from Niantic. Not sure what the unique in-game experiences will be but at least this way you can get way more candy for different pokemon. Should make life easier..

On friendly gym battles, my experience so far shows that it's actually better to use lower CP pokemon to raise prestige in same colour gym.

This morning I used a 2k Lapras to take out a 1500 Arcanine and a 1700 Dragonite and I added around 350 prestige. I then used a 1300 Golduck to take out the 1500 Arcanine and then fled before the second round and I added over 500 prestige.

So looks like type advantage/moveset can be quite handy (my golduck has water gun and hydro pump as the moves so was easy to win).

Ugh I now have 9x 5k eggs. Almost tempted to get 8 incubators.. :colondollar:

Also accidentally used my lucky egg. So had to rush my evolutions while not prepared. Still managed to get around 55 in I think so now just need another 25k XP to get to level 24.

With regards to the buddy system, it will only change your profile in the bottom left corner of the screen (in terms of visual effect) and you will gain 1 candy per x km walked. The distance required depends on the Pokemon used. For example, the 3 starters require 2km for each candy, while Pikachu only requires 1km. The maximum is 3km, which will be used for Dratini, the legendary birds, Snorlax, Lapras etc.

The main benefit of the buddy system is that it allows candy to be gained for Pokemon that you can't catch multiple of i.e. the legendaries when they are released. This way you can power up your legendary bird and that's why this system is so important. If you want the full list of distance per candy, go here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VD480cctt9i62KMTwVcN1MWS7Yesvq7G2Bvd1dvLHJ0/edit#gid=0

As for the gym query, you gain +500 prestige for beating a Pokemon with a higher CP than yours. This is why the type advantages are very important, if you can easily take down a fire Pokemon of 1500CP with your 1300 Golduck, you'll gain +500 prestige each time and thus can level up the gym extremely quickly. If you use a Pokemon that is less than half of the opponent Pokemon's CP, you'll gain +1000 CP.
Original post by tomtjl
With regards to the buddy system, it will only change your profile in the bottom left corner of the screen (in terms of visual effect) and you will gain 1 candy per x km walked. The distance required depends on the Pokemon used. For example, the 3 starters require 2km for each candy, while Pikachu only requires 1km. The maximum is 3km, which will be used for Dratini, the legendary birds, Snorlax, Lapras etc.

The main benefit of the buddy system is that it allows candy to be gained for Pokemon that you can't catch multiple of i.e. the legendaries when they are released. This way you can power up your legendary bird and that's why this system is so important. If you want the full list of distance per candy, go here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VD480cctt9i62KMTwVcN1MWS7Yesvq7G2Bvd1dvLHJ0/edit#gid=0

As for the gym query, you gain +500 prestige for beating a Pokemon with a higher CP than yours. This is why the type advantages are very important, if you can easily take down a fire Pokemon of 1500CP with your 1300 Golduck, you'll gain +500 prestige each time and thus can level up the gym extremely quickly. If you use a Pokemon that is less than half of the opponent Pokemon's CP, you'll gain +1000 CP.

Pokeguru strikes again :colondollar:

Gah annoying (but understandable) that some will be easier than others. I guess it's 9km for each time I want to power up my Lapras.. still better than nothing since already walking for the eggs. I thought they might do a legendary candy or a non-specific one for rare stuff but this makes sense too. Easy way to stop people overpowering the legendary pokemons without a lot of leg work. I wouldn't be surprised if everyone catching pretty low CP legendary pokemon and that way everyone has to train up?

Yea I didn't appreciate the best approach for friendly gyms. Presume the same doesn't apply for other gyms? Although can't see why you would want to use weak pokemon to take down an opposition gym?

I'm still surprised by how weak some types are in comparison to others. Water and Fire seem very strong whereas Grass and Electric seem really weak. At least the strong Fire you can counter with strong Water but hard to see how you get around strong Water since you only really have weak options..

My golduck's moveset actually showed me how important it is. Actually trying to get a combination of High CP/great IV stats/right moveset is pretty tough..
Alright, was walking my dog today and I notice a Bulbasaur shows up on my Nearby List, no joke, first one I've ever seen in the wild (Minus my first pokemon ever...) and when I find it (being level 22, I expect a 400 CPish minimum), it has 12CP...
Really?... :colonhash:

Then find a Gastly as soon as I walk in (wasn't expecting much from this because the highest Gastly I've ever found was 399 and was 120CP...)

Two good pokemon (Currently have 68 Gastly candy) but both crap CPs...
(edited 7 years ago)
Alright, was walking my dog today and I notice a Bulbasaur shows up on my Nearby List, no joke, first one I've ever seen in the wild (Minus my first pokemon ever...) and when I find it (being level 22, I expect a 400 CPish minimum), it has 12CP...

Then find a Gastly as soon as I walk in (wasn't expecting much from this because the highest Gastly I've ever found was 399 and was 120CP...)

Just use them as candy fodder and find more? My favourite was a CP 17 Beedrill that I found :colondollar:
Pokeguru strikes again :colondollar:

Gah annoying (but understandable) that some will be easier than others. I guess it's 9km for each time I want to power up my Lapras.. still better than nothing since already walking for the eggs. I thought they might do a legendary candy or a non-specific one for rare stuff but this makes sense too. Easy way to stop people overpowering the legendary pokemons without a lot of leg work. I wouldn't be surprised if everyone catching pretty low CP legendary pokemon and that way everyone has to train up?

Yea I didn't appreciate the best approach for friendly gyms. Presume the same doesn't apply for other gyms? Although can't see why you would want to use weak pokemon to take down an opposition gym?

I'm still surprised by how weak some types are in comparison to others. Water and Fire seem very strong whereas Grass and Electric seem really weak. At least the strong Fire you can counter with strong Water but hard to see how you get around strong Water since you only really have weak options..

My golduck's moveset actually showed me how important it is. Actually trying to get a combination of High CP/great IV stats/right moveset is pretty tough..

Yeah, if it was as easy to level up a Pidgey as it was a Dragonite, there'd be some balance issues :tongue:. I assume legendaries will be caught at ~2000CP in order to make them useful, but not OP. Then you can power them up by buddying them and walking.

And yes, this technique works for opposing team's gyms. It can actually be way more effective to take them down with weak Pokemon than with stronger Pokemon. Example:
Level 3 gym:
1500 Arcanine
1600 Vaporeon
1700 Venusaur

You attack with a level 1200 Vaporeon. You beat the Arcanine and then leave the gym. The gym receives -561 prestige, due to the +500 bonus of using a weaker Pokemon. However, this battle only took 1/4 of your Vaporeon's health and about 30s to complete. You do this 4 times and take the gym down 1 level. In order to take it down a full level without this, you had to beat all of the Pokemon in the gym, meaning you used 3 health potions/revives (compared to 1) and it was quicker. Doing this for each Pokemon in the gym means you can take it down easily.

Another example:
Let's say that you know you can't beat all of the Pokemon within the gym in order to take it down or the final Pokemon in the gym is too strong for your Pokemon. This method then becomes extremely useful because you only need to be able to beat 1 Pokemon at a time and you can take down gyms just as easily (assuming you have the available Pokemon). Then you can take the gym down to level 1 and then use all 6 Pokemon against that final gym Pokemon.

Hope that helps!

Just to rub it in.. I caught a 469 Gastly (IVs not great though) :colondollar:
I did follow that up with a CP 28 Magmar :rofl:

Ugh hatched my 3rd tentacool and now I have 9x 5km eggs :frown:
Found a second 10k egg in 3 days. =D
Hoping for something decent... unfortunately I've used 75% of my data this month and won't be topped up again until the 19th...

Parents said they'd change my contract because I can use Viber an/or WhatsApp to message/call them and it costs nothing.
Hopefully a contract with unlimited data usage...
Found a second 10k egg in 3 days. =D
Hoping for something decent... unfortunately I've used 75% of my data this month and won't be topped up again until the 19th...

Parents said they'd change my contract because I can use Viber an/or WhatsApp to message/call them and it costs nothing.
Hopefully a contract with unlimited data usage...

10Gb is more than sufficient I've found. That's with daily play.

It's more battery life that's a problem.
I've been fine with 1GB of data! :colondollar:

Having thought about it.. the team of Pokemon I'd like with high CP/good IVs would be:

Dragonite - ideally with dragon breath and dragon claw for the STAB but considering not many super effective any moves would be fine (as 125 candies to evolve and more to power isn't cheap!
Snorlax - ideally with zen headbutt and body slam but considering not many super effective any moves would be fine
Vaporean with water gun and hydropump - Gyarados might be ranked higher but the stats aren't that dissimilar and Vaporeon has a higher CP ceiling. Gyarados doesn't have a base water attack (bite is dark attack)
Arcanine with fire fang and fire blast but I'd probably settle for a Flareon with fire blast
Electabuzz or Jolteon with thundershock and thunder
Macamp with karate chop and cross chop
Exeggutor with zen headbutt and pyschic

Lapras - I have with ice moves so I'm happy

So only a team of 8 pokemon..

I don't think you need something strong for every type since some are not useful eg. Muk - strong poison but what are you going to use against and lots of psychic types around.

Basically 4 strong pokemon and then 4 others which can beat the regular strong pokemon people power up.
Caught my first Wartortle today. XD
Has a crappy CP of only 222 and an IV level of something I can't be bothered to calculate given my team leader's statement about it. Although, has a good move set including ice beam. =D
Keep seeing it on my nearby list but this is the first time I've seen it and have Radar Go on my phone. XD

Don't know why but Squirtles and I assume Wartortles like to stay down a certain road or behind my local pub. =l
Caught my first Wartortle today. XD
Has a crappy CP of only 222 and an IV level of something I can't be bothered to calculate given my team leader's statement about it. Although, has a good move set including ice beam. =D
Keep seeing it on my nearby list but this is the first time I've seen it and have Radar Go on my phone. XD

Don't know why but Squirtles and I assume Wartortles like to stay down a certain road or behind my local pub. =l

Haha nice. Tbh there are a few pokemon which are better water types than Blastoise so high CP/IV probably isn't a huge deal?

I may have gotten impatient and now have 9 eggs all being incubated.. :biggrin:
Haha nice. Tbh there are a few pokemon which are better water types than Blastoise so high CP/IV probably isn't a huge deal?

I may have gotten impatient and now have 9 eggs all being incubated.. :biggrin:

Who says there's better water pokemon than blastoise, they're only better in stats, my 200 lb turtle with cannons on its back is easily the coolest water pokemon going :wink:
I've been fine with 1GB of data! :colondollar:

Having thought about it.. the team of Pokemon I'd like with high CP/good IVs would be:

Dragonite - ideally with dragon breath and dragon claw for the STAB but considering not many super effective any moves would be fine (as 125 candies to evolve and more to power isn't cheap!
Snorlax - ideally with lick and hyper beam but considering not many super effective any moves would be fine
Vaporean with water gun and hydropump - Gyarados might be ranked higher but the stats aren't that dissimilar and Vaporeon has a higher CP ceiling. Gyarados doesn't have a base water attack (bite is dark attack)
Arcanine with fire fang and fire blast but I'd probably settle for a Flareon with fire blast
Electabuzz or Jolteon with thundershock and thunder - replace with Gyarados with Bite/Hydro Pump
Macamp with karate chop and cross chop
Exeggutor with zen headbutt and solarbeam

Lapras - I have with ice moves so I'm happy

Not a bad team, but I've made a few changes that I think would benefit the team :smile:.
Snorlax - Lick and Hyper Beam are the highest DPS moves available, so I would go with those.
Gyarados - A very highly ranked Pokemon and having Bite as it's primary move means that it's very efficient at removing Psychic Pokemon, while still being used as a water type. Get rid of Electabuzz/Jolteon due to their poor stature in Pokemon Go.
Exeggutor - Solarbeam is higher DPS than Psychic and it gives it an effectiveness as a grass type Pokemon, meaning the electric Pokemon aren't needed.

I really hope they bring out TMs or some similar format soon enough. I'm sick of spending 125 candies on Pokemon (or 400 in the case of my 2 Gyaradoses) and them having a terrible moveset at the end. Especially in cases of Dragonite and Venusaur -_-.
Officially quit playing Pokemon GO for a while. Kinda lost my interest now. You could say it's in good timing :biggrin:
Original post by MezmorisedPotato
Officially quit playing Pokemon GO for a while. Kinda lost my interest now. You could say it's in good timing :biggrin:

I stopped playing it for a couple of weeks around 2 weeks ago, just starting playing again yesterday and I'm enjoying it still :smile:.
Original post by tomtjl
Not a bad team, but I've made a few changes that I think would benefit the team :smile:.
Snorlax - Lick and Hyper Beam are the highest DPS moves available, so I would go with those.
Gyarados - A very highly ranked Pokemon and having Bite as it's primary move means that it's very efficient at removing Psychic Pokemon, while still being used as a water type. Get rid of Electabuzz/Jolteon due to their poor stature in Pokemon Go.
Exeggutor - Solarbeam is higher DPS than Psychic and it gives it an effectiveness as a grass type Pokemon, meaning the electric Pokemon aren't needed.

I really hope they bring out TMs or some similar format soon enough. I'm sick of spending 125 candies on Pokemon (or 400 in the case of my 2 Gyaradoses) and them having a terrible moveset at the end. Especially in cases of Dragonite and Venusaur -_-.

On Snorlax - http://www.pokemongodb.net/2016/05/snorlax.html
This has Body Slam as having a higher DPS? I do think Snorlax with any combination of moves is strong enough really.

I think the fact that pokemon only have one fast move and one charge move really hurts duel-type pokemon. In the normal games, the 4 moves gave you enough scope to take advantage of duel types but with Pokemon Go, I feel like if you are picking a pokemon based on type then you just need to take the full benefit by focusing on one type to give you STAB and type advantage. So if I'm using Gyarados to take out a fire type, what use is bite to me? Especially considering how many speed moves you'd click during a battle.

I think you are better to use Exeggutor as an out and out pyschic type? Although not many fighting or poison types around so perhaps don't need to? Maybe Venusaur is a better option where you can have two grass attacks with vine whip/solar beam to tackle water types? I guess the only reason I was learning more towards the electric types is since they don't have the weakness to ice attacks and a lot of water types do often have ice attacks.

I guess if legendary pokemon are released then Zapdos is the one you really want where thunder shock/thunder will be a brutal combination along with Zapdos' attack stats.

Anyway it's all a bit fanciful since I'll probably never get around to assembling this team :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest