The Student Room Group

TSR Med Students' Society Part VI

Scroll to see replies

Reply 420
What books do people recommend for clinical years? I've not bought a single book for preclinical, but figure it might be time to splash out to accompany wards... Main consensus seems to be Oxford handbook of clinical medicine and Kumar and clarke? What do people say
Original post by Xotol
What books do people recommend for clinical years? I've not bought a single book for preclinical, but figure it might be time to splash out to accompany wards... Main consensus seems to be Oxford handbook of clinical medicine and Kumar and clarke? What do people say

OHCM +/- Foundation handbook & wikipedia.

Have a copy of K&C, don't think I opened it once during medical school.
Original post by Xotol

Im preclinical and kumar and clarke is basically my bible for CBL.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Etomidate
OHCM +/- Foundation handbook & wikipedia.

Have a copy of K&C, don't think I opened it once during medical school.

Me neither. That thing is way too big

I'd say if you weren't a textbook person for preclinical you probably won't suddenly become one for clinical. Get the OHCM and leave the rest
Original post by Natalierm2707
Im preclinical and kumar and clarke is basically my bible for CBL.

Posted from TSR Mobile

People in my year say the same, but I find it completely incomprehensible. I don't know why, I can just read pages and find that I have taken in no information whatsoever.
Original post by Brockle
People in my year say the same, but I find it completely incomprehensible. I don't know why, I can just read pages and find that I have taken in no information whatsoever.

I know what you mean, i find a lot of the info is brilliant but sometimes its overcomplicated and hard to understand. It is the reccomended textbook for my course so it does help that the lecturers follow it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 426
Original post by Etomidate
OHCM +/- Foundation handbook & wikipedia. Have a copy of K&C, don't think I opened it once during medical school.

Original post by Ghotay
Me neither. That thing is way too big

I'd say if you weren't a textbook person for preclinical you probably won't suddenly become one for clinical. Get the OHCM and leave the rest

Yeah, I'm allergic to massive textbooks, so not buying the big K&C one. I was thinking about the pocket essentials one. I heard it helps you understand concepts the OHCM doesn't go through clearly?*
Original post by Xotol

Yeah, I'm allergic to massive textbooks, so not buying the big K&C one. I was thinking about the pocket essentials one. I heard it helps you understand concepts the OHCM doesn't go through clearly?*

Couldn't tell you, I've always relied on google for such problems
On a separate note, does anyone know any good resources for:

(1) T&O as relevant to A&E. Basic fracture management stuff for the non-orthopaedically inclined

(2) Basic antibiotic therapy. I have never found a way to make that stuff stick, and have rarely received any good advice beyond 'learn it', or crazy giant tables that make my brain ache
Original post by Ghotay

(2) Basic antibiotic therapy. I have never found a way to make that stuff stick, and have rarely received any good advice beyond 'learn it', or crazy giant tables that make my brain ache

This.

Wish there was a way to logically work it out based on mechanism of action and stuff, but doesn't seem like it :frown:
Original post by Ghotay

(1) T&O as relevant to A&E. Basic fracture management stuff for the non-orthopaedically inclined

For Ortho i use both Apleys consise system of Orthopaedics and Fractures and the illustrated colour text of Orthopaedics and Trauma by McRae. Just skip the sections on congenital/elective.
Original post by Ghotay

1. oxford handbook of EM and also the clinical specialties one I like for Ortho/A&E*
2.I've had to make flashcards to learn it, its rote learning it also a lot of it is trust guideline too (i don't know about how it works i just learn you treat this infection with this Abx)... It's boring but just writing it out not small flash cards helped me hugely*
Reply 432
Original post by Asklepios
This.

Wish there was a way to logically work it out based on mechanism of action and stuff, but doesn't seem like it :frown:

"I would refer to appropriate Trust guidelines prior to administration of an antibiotic, however a good bet would be... <your broad spectrum of choice/your narrow spectrum of choice>"

Unless you say give nitrofurantoin for pneumonia or something I don't think you can go far wrong with that.

e: I hate/disagree with medical schools requiring or testing the knowledge that antibiotic x treats bacteria y because that may not be the case clinically and that's not how you'd do it in practice, so it's literally pointless and I'd argue one of the most pointless things it's possible for medical schools to throw at you. A few to make the point is probably be ok but huge tables is just so educationally pointless. MC&S and let microbiology run their magic. Why you need to know the 2nd line treatment for t. studentroomium is beyond me.
(edited 7 years ago)
I was having simulation teaching today as well and I got asked about antibiotics for neutropenic sepsis.
I was just giving out broad spec antibiotics (tazo, genta) and the consultant was like... Follow local trust guidelines. :colondollar:
Thanks for the ortho recommendations guys, will be checking those out

Unfortunately my med school is rather fond of giving MCQs on antibiotic therapy, which is why I feel like I need to learn them. It does seem like a stupid and impossible task though
Original post by Brockle

Personally I'm a massive fan of Kumar and Clark. I love the depth it goes into :smile: although, I am pre-clinical so I'm not really using it that often
Oxford Handbook of Clinical Medicine, I recommend Essential Surgery too, since you tend to get grilled.
Original post by Ghotay
Thanks for the ortho recommendations guys, will be checking those out

Unfortunately my med school is rather fond of giving MCQs on antibiotic therapy, which is why I feel like I need to learn them. It does seem like a stupid and impossible task though

"I will refer to my local Trusts guidance on safe antibiotic prescribing"

Trusts vary, it would surely have to be barn door obvious for antibiotic prescribing. Don't say Tazocin though, for such a common drug it's never an answer.
Folks, being in the MHOC has made me wonder if we should have a general chat for medical students. Everything in these chats is so medicine course orientated, could we do with a more general chat thread?

Say, about Jeremy Hunt?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by That Bearded Man
Folks, being in the MHOC has made me wonder if we should have a general chat for medical students. Everything in these chats is so medicine course orientated, could we do with a more general chat thread?

Say, about Jeremy Hunt?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The real question is whether any conversation between 2 or more medical students can avoid being medicine orientated, not just on here :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending