The Student Room Group

A Level Mechanics or Statistics?

I'm confused about how these modules work. Basically, I don't know which one I should do as I would like to either go into medicine or engineering when I'm older, but I have no real preference at the moment. Therefore I'd like to keep both options open, but I'm not sure which one I should do to keep them both open.

Which one would be optimal? And would I need further maths to study engineering at a prestigious university?
Reply 1
Original post by HurtfulHarold
I'm confused about how these modules work. Basically, I don't know which one I should do as I would like to either go into medicine or engineering when I'm older, but I have no real preference at the moment. Therefore I'd like to keep both options open, but I'm not sure which one I should do to keep them both open.

Which one would be optimal?

Doesn't matter. They don't affect your options. That said, if you want to dabble in a bit of both, take a mix of mechanics and statistics. Either way, whatever units you take won't really affect what you can do career wise down the line, so take what seems the most fun.

And would I need further maths to study engineering at a prestigious university?

Yes.
Reply 2
How sad that after the A Level reforms next year, this type of thread will no longer exist :frown:

EDIT: Actually FM students will still have the choice.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by notnek
How sad that after the A Level reforms next year, this type of thread will no longer exist :frown:

EDIT: Actually FM students will still have the choice.

also threads about Decision Maff

:teehee: *
Original post by Zacken
Doesn't matter. They don't affect your options. That said, if you want to dabble in a bit of both, take a mix of mechanics and statistics. Either way, whatever units you take won't really affect what you can do career wise down the line, so take what seems the most fun.

Yes.

Are you certain about this? My maths teacher told me that doing further maths is simply helpful, not necessary.By the way which ones did you find the most fun?
Reply 5
Original post by HurtfulHarold
Are you certain about this? My maths teacher told me that doing further maths is simply helpful, not necessary.By the way which ones did you find the most fun?

Which unis are you considering?

The really top unis will recommend Further Maths but I don't think any make it compulsory. But taking a recommended subject will strengthen your application.

Cambridge Engineering: http://www.admissions.eng.cam.ac.uk/guide/requirements

Table 1 might seem to indicate that if you are not doing Further Maths there are very few Colleges that might admit you. This is far from the truth. In practice, about a third of the students admitted to study Engineering at Cambridge have not done Further Maths A Level. What Colleges are looking for is high ability in mathematics. Colleges are aware that not all schools offer Further Maths A Level, and will not discriminate against applicants who have not had the opportunity to take it. However, if your school or college is able to offer Further Maths or you can access it through the Further Mathematics Support Programme, you are strongly encouraged to study this. If Further Maths is not available or you have recognised its desirability too late, we would advise you to do as much additional pure maths and mechanics as possible, e.g. by taking standalone modules or Further Maths AS Level. If offered by your school/college, you might also consider taking STEP or AEA Maths.
Original post by notnek

The really top unis will recommend Further Maths but I don't think any make it compulsory. But taking a recommended subject will strengthen your application.

Mainly oxbridge because I want to set myself good goals but I wouldn't mind any university that's relatively well known yet teaches engineering well. Tell you what, I'm going to do some more in-depth research, on medicine and engineering, and I'll try to reply more specifically in a few hours or so.
Original post by notnek

At the moment, I think I'm leaning more towards medicine. I feel exhausted with all of this research but I am not as interested in engineering now anymore. Why why why do we have to practically decide our futures with so little experience? Thanks for your assistance though. I'll message back on the situation for any more advice that you and others have to give.

Quick Reply

Latest