The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Just Some Person
I want back today, actually. Not really fussed on the changes they've made at our school; our new tutor groups are our Maths sets and we have to do Maths three times a week in tutorial to prepare for our Numeracy exams in November. WJEC has a new spec for Maths and Numeray, and apparently, our papers are really difficult! :s-smilie:

Hope you had a good first day back. Asides from the changes, mine was okay. I survived after all, so I know I can pull through until June. Good luck for all your exams this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck for Maths, hope all those extra lessons pay off:smile:
Just hang in there until the end of this year! (that thought is what's getting me through year 11)
My first day back was pretty good too, most things same as last year. Only bad thing was the awkward year group photo we always have on the first day back! :embarrassed:
Original post by BobBobson
How long study periods do you guys have? I get 2 hours a week (split up obv).

Are study periods lessons just for revision or something? We don't have that at my school, we have study leave for a few weeks towards the end of the year.
Yeah they're lessons where you can do Homework or revision. It's just a classroom with a teacher in it or if it's at the end of the day, you can go home.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MusiK.622
Good luck for Maths, hope all those extra lessons pay off:smile:
Just hang in there until the end of this year! (that thought is what's getting me through year 11)
My first day back was pretty good too, most things same as last year. Only bad thing was the awkward year group photo we always have on the first day back! :embarrassed:

Glad you enjoyed your first day back. I'd hate to have my photo taken every year like that; sounds mega awkward and embarrasing! Thank you by the way. I wish you all the best for Maths too, even though you're on a different exam board. We're all in the same boat, after all, as we're the first to have the new mark scheme.

Enjoy the rest of your week. :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Feels weird to hear everyone talk about going back to school when I don't go back till Monday :biggrin:
I still have to do my holiday homework which I think I'll spend Saturday doing.

Good luck to everyone starting within the next few days :tongue:
Original post by Itsemziexoxo
Feels weird to hear everyone talk about going back to school when I don't go back till Monday :biggrin:
I still have to do my holiday homework which I think I'll spend Saturday doing.

Good luck to everyone starting within the next few days :tongue:

I go back thursday and haven't done any homework yet either lol
How long study periods do you guys have? I get 2 hours a week (split up obv).

We don't have free periods, unfortunately :frown:
Yeah they're lessons where you can do Homework or revision. It's just a classroom with a teacher in it or if it's at the end of the day, you can go home.

Posted from TSR Mobile

that sounds amazing, i wish we had those :frown:
Original post by _b_e_n_
Timetable could be a lot worse... the only thing i really hate is p.e lesson 1 on a thursday morning :yawn:

At least you don't have it Monday P1...(that's what year 11 in my school always has for some reason :cry:)
Reply 469
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=67435118

PLEASE CHECK MY LATEST THREAD REGARDING MY RESULTS. THANK YOU

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, I'm @flossg and my hobbies are flute, piano, ballet, senior section and watching netflix.
I'm taking 11 GCSEs:

Spoiler

I feel very unprepared for year 11 (despite it starting tomorrow), but I think that my frees due to having taken Stats a year early will help me. I am dreading learning all the quotes for English, especially because we are halfway through our second book with another to go and half the poems to do as well :frown:.
I do not have a favourite subject, since, despite being pro-active, I absolutely hate school except for seeing my friends.
I would hopefully like to be an A+E consultant or a makeup artist (probably the latter as a hobby/side hustle)
Currently, I am thinking about taking 4 A-Levels out of:

Spoiler

Original post by MusiK.622
Yay, another Latin person! There doesn't seem to be many of us... there's only four people in my year taking it at my school,we have the tiniest class ever lol
Good luck in your Latin too (et gratias tibi!):^_^:

Also what book are you using for Maths? Is it a textbook?

Haha, my class also has four ppl in it! (But then, it's an online class, so the size numbers only go up to 8 anyway!) I'm using a textbook, yh; I think it's spec A.
I'm guessing by your username, you're a bit of a music person? Bc I am, too! Do you play any instruments?
Original post by samaad1
I go back thursday and haven't done any homework yet either lol

Same, I have to do loads tomorrow lol, might even have a physics test the first day back :/
Original post by bimball
Same, I have to do loads tomorrow lol, might even have a physics test the first day back :/

I think I've got a controlled assessment and biology test :frown:
Hi, I'm ferozagirl, and I'm taking 12 GSCEs

Spoiler

My hobbies are: singing, painting, learning about science (as a whole), watching oriental media (in general - animes, kdramas etc.), playing guitar, learning Korean (and playing language apps), reading, watching netflix (among many, many other things) and talking (as you may notice from the size of this reply)

I'm worried about how I'm going to survive Year 11, and with the grades I want, in particular. Year 10 was a grilling experience for me because I didn't expect it to be so difficult - everyone talks about the jump from GCSEs to A-Levels, but I (somehow) did not see the jump from KS3 to KS4. Being dropped in the deep end so early on, I didn't quite get into the rhythm of things, and kind of drifted around for the majority of the year (drifting/drowning in procrastination) - something I really hope I don't do this year >.< It's gonna be tough, catching up with stuff I fell behind on in Year 10.

Has anyone got any tips/advice on how to not waste time?
(I have no focus - something I'm pretty sure I'm going to need this year :s-smilie:)

I like almost all of my subjects, but I think I've definitely been put off by some of them (being thrown into the deep end, and whatnot), particularly History. It's probably because, somewhere along the way, I deeply confused myself and blew the whole thing out of proportion and my head hurts just thinking about it. I do indeed like school, but I feel a lot more lost than I have in the past. My dream job would probably be something like research in neuroscience, or being a brain surgeon, or a diagnostician, or a psychiatrist, or psychologist (I just really want to study the brain, or go into medicine). That, or become a singer (but I'll probably do that on the side).

In terms of A Levels, I've made a decision on some of my options, but not all:

Spoiler

I'm just a bit of a mess right now ':s-smilie:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 475
Hey guys! I have some classroom mocks next week and I wasn't entirely aware that they were so soon. I really need advice for how to prepare for a test with only a week notice. Does anyone have any specific tips and tricks they could share with me for how best to efficiently revise in a week because I really want to start these subjects well. The classroom mocks are in English and History.
Reply 476
My physics teacher has also just told me that the ISA we did was not the real ISA even after he told us that it was so that's annoying :s-smilie:
Original post by ferozagirl
Hi, I'm ferozagirl, and I'm taking 12 GSCEs

Spoiler

My hobbies are: singing, painting, learning about science (as a whole), watching oriental media (in general - animes, kdramas etc.), playing guitar, learning Korean (and playing language apps), reading, watching netflix (among many, many other things) and talking (as you may notice from the size of this reply)

I'm worried about how I'm going to survive Year 11, and with the grades I want, in particular. Year 10 was a grilling experience for me because I didn't expect it to be so difficult - everyone talks about the jump from GCSEs to A-Levels, but I (somehow) did not see the jump from KS3 to KS4. Being dropped in the deep end so early on, I didn't quite get into the rhythm of things, and kind of drifted around for the majority of the year (drifting/drowning in procrastination) - something I really hope I don't do this year >.< It's gonna be tough, catching up with stuff I fell behind on in Year 10.

Has anyone got any tips/advice on how to not waste time?
(I have no focus - something I'm pretty sure I'm going to need this year :s-smilie:)

I like almost all of my subjects, but I think I've definitely been put off by some of them (being thrown into the deep end, and whatnot), particularly History. It's probably because, somewhere along the way, I deeply confused myself and blew the whole thing out of proportion and my head hurts just thinking about it. I do indeed like school, but I feel a lot more lost than I have in the past. My dream job would probably be something like research in neuroscience, or being a brain surgeon, or a diagnostician, or a psychiatrist, or psychologist (I just really want to study the brain, or go into medicine). That, or become a singer (but I'll probably do that on the side).

In terms of A Levels, I've made a decision on some of my options, but not all:

Spoiler

I'm just a bit of a mess right now ':s-smilie:

When you say wasting time, is this when you're revising, or just wasting time doing things that aren't important during your day in general

Posted from TSR Mobile
Quick question to the people who have study periods, how many periods a day do you have?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Simonexoxo
When you say wasting time, is this when you're revising, or just wasting time doing things that aren't important during your day in general

Posted from TSR Mobile

Both, but mostly my day in general :s-smilie:
How do you stay motivated?

Latest