The Student Room Group

Was my driving examer harsh?

Had my first driving test today. I failed with 8 minors and 2 serious faults. However the 2 serious faults were for "change direction" and something else that I can't remember. Basically 3 minutes before the end of my test I went the wrong way because I got confused and then the examer turned her whole body to look to the left and yet said i didn't check my mirror. There were no cars there that i made sure off, and yet she put it as a serious? 3 MINUTES BEFORE THE END. I'm soo upset.
Original post by hannahmrsx
Had my first driving test today. I failed with 8 minors and 2 serious faults. However the 2 serious faults were for "change direction" and something else that I can't remember. Basically 3 minutes before the end of my test I went the wrong way because I got confused and then the examer turned her whole body to look to the left and yet said i didn't check my mirror. There were no cars there that i made sure off, and yet she put it as a serious? 3 MINUTES BEFORE THE END. I'm soo upset.

:frown: Well, it's hard to say really because there's no way we can no what really happened at the instant, and if you did miss someone and she saw that... To be honest, in this case, I think there's not much point dwelling on it, but just put it behind you and book another test, otherwise you're just going to be constantly thinking about it, when there's not a lot you can do.
It should have only been a major fault if there were other cars around.

Alternatively, it could have been that you committed that minor several times - enough to make it a serious fault.

One tip is to make sure you make obvious head movements when you look at your mirrors as the examiner can't see your eyes!

Good luck next time!

SS
Reply 3
Sounds fair. The test is supposed to be hard.
Reply 4
The majority of them are very picky, you will feel frustrated but all you can do is try again and not let a fail get in the way.
I suppose it is fair, you must look what's around you when changing directions or lanes especially as a learner. I am guessing you made that mistake a number of times or didn't make it obvious. What I did on my test as I did it in my dads car was be more cautious so as not to make a serious error. While I got 2 minors, it paid off when approaching the mini roundabouts especially as I didn't want to make any sudden movements like lurching into the roundabout or braking very harshly before. My examiner was awesome though and found out what I was interested in and when I said law he started telling me about the mandatory statute which says that all boys over 16 or something must practice archery on Sundays the law has just never been repealed....any way, what I am trying to get at is that it is part of your mentality but also depends what examiner you get I guess
Reply 6
Original post by mobbsy91
:frown: Well, it's hard to say really because there's no way we can no what really happened at the instant, and if you did miss someone and she saw that... To be honest, in this case, I think there's not much point dwelling on it, but just put it behind you and book another test, otherwise you're just going to be constantly thinking about it, when there's not a lot you can do.

Thanks, that's so true. It's just annoying me that I might fail next time.
Reply 7
I went the wrong way because I got confused and then the examer turned her whole body to look to the left and yet said i didn't check my mirror. There were no cars there that i made sure off, and yet she put it as a serious?
Sounds about right. If there had have been a car there when you changed direction, there would have been a collision, which would be marked as a dangerous fault. The fact that there was no car there means that the fault was downgraded to a serious or potentially dangerous fault.

Why didn't you use your mirrors before changing lanes? It's basic self-preservation, like looking up from your smartphone before crossing a road.
Reply 8
Original post by Advisor
Sounds about right. If there had have been a car there when you changed direction, there would have been a collision, which would be marked as a dangerous fault. The fact that there was no car there means that the fault was downgraded to a serious or potentially dangerous fault.

Why didn't you use your mirrors before changing lanes? It's basic self-preservation, like looking up from your smartphone before crossing a road.

I didn't change lanes? I was in the left lane, told to take the second exit. However I got confused I took the third exit, however stayed in that left lane. I just didn't check my mirror as I exited
I didn't change lanes? I was in the left lane, told to take the second exit. However I got confused I took the third exit, however stayed in that left lane. I just didn't check my mirror as I exited

If you went into the roundabout in the left hand lane and took the third exit, chances are (I don't know the correct lane without actually seeing the roundabout) you were in the wrong lane.

If you had of messed up by taking the first turn off instead of the second in the left hand lane then that would of been fine and the examiner would of given you a different route to the test centre.

Also as you said "I just didn't check my mirror as I exited", that would be an automatic fail on a roundabout as not checking the mirror on roundabouts is a serious risk to other motorists.
no i had the same examiner 3 times, and i thought he was harsh. when i had him 3rd, time, i thought to myself i failed but was in shock when he passed.

Quick Reply

Latest