The Student Room Group

Are my A Level subjects considered 'soft'?

I've just started my A Levels and hope to go to a highly competitive university but am worried that my A Level options aren't good enough. I picked the subjects I excelled in and enjoy the most but would they be good enough to get me into a great university or do I need a science or maths to balance it out?

I'm doing Spanish, English Literature, Latin and Religion and Philosophy. Are these options good enough?
Original post by GCSEdward
I've just started my A Levels and hope to go to a highly competitive university but am worried that my A Level options aren't good enough. I picked the subjects I excelled in and enjoy the most but would they be good enough to get me into a great university or do I need a science or maths to balance it out?

I'm doing Spanish, English Literature, Latin and Religion and Philosophy. Are these options good enough?

As far as I know, they're all well respected subjects. However, it really depends on what you're going to study. If you're doing an essay-based course such as literature, uni's won't care much for STEM subjects. They want you to pass their course, that's all! However if you decide you want to do any science related subject, you will be really stuck. So it's worth baring in mind :smile:
Reply 2
theyre lovely subjects, not soft at all

clearly you have no choice but to choose a humanities degree, and for one of those you do not need a science/maths to get into a good uni so don't worry!!!
Reply 3
No, if anything you've picked some of the most difficult arts subjects (aside from Religion).
Reply 4
Anything that is not STEM is a soft subject

I'm JOKING chill out

Quick Reply

Latest