The Student Room Group

Do i need to be amazing at maths to do accounting?

im in yr13, and thinking of doing accounting and finance at uni.
I have an A in gcse maths and C in gcse further maths (wasn't as important as other subjects so I didn't give it much time/revision) but how good do i need to be a maths?
Is accounting a good degree?
Original post by Rainbowcorn
I have an A in gcse maths and C in gcse further maths (wasn't as important as other subjects so I didn't give it much time/revision) but how good do i need to be a maths?

Don't know what the degree requirements are (though I'd imagine they'd want maths A-level which I wouldn't advise with a C at GCSE further...)

The good news is that neither a maths A-level nor an accounting/finance degree is required for a career in accountancy. Usually the requirement at GCSE is maths at grade B or higher. There are A-level grade requirements usually so you'd be better off doing something you'll do well in if you want to work for a good firm.
The standard entry requirement for Accountancy & Finance tends to be around ABB, preferrably with maths.
Reply 3
Original post by natninja
Don't know what the degree requirements are (though I'd imagine they'd want maths A-level which I wouldn't advise with a C at GCSE further...)

The good news is that neither a maths A-level nor an accounting/finance degree is required for a career in accountancy. Usually the requirement at GCSE is maths at grade B or higher. There are A-level grade requirements usually so you'd be better off doing something you'll do well in if you want to work for a good firm.

Most unis that i looked at don't need maths a level, just grade B at gcse maths like you said above, but thank you :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by leadheadsmith
The standard entry requirement for Accountancy & Finance tends to be around ABB, preferrably with maths.

yes most that i looked at were BBB-ABB ish, although only 1 that i found (Bristol) needed a level maths , thanks!

Mate if you can't give me log(5) to 6 s.f. on the spot then quite frankly accounting isn't for you.

Spoiler

If you do an accounting degree, make sure that the modules allow you to be exempt from certain in exams that you take to become chartered. IMO, do a degree you enjoy and that involves a science (engineering, finance, economics comp sci etc.) then take the chartered route with ICAEW or ACCA.
Reply 7
Original post by RDKGames
Mate if you can't give me log(5) to 6 s.f. on the spot then quite frankly accounting isn't for you.

Spoiler

woah what a reality check haha! thank you!
Reply 8
Original post by Welshstig
If you do an accounting degree, make sure that the modules allow you to be exempt from certain in exams that you take to become chartered. IMO, do a degree you enjoy and that involves a science (engineering, finance, economics comp sci etc.) then take the chartered route with ICAEW or ACCA.

yeah i was thinking of finance but with something eg accounting and finance, management and finance etc
No.

It will literally be tonnes of memorising and GCSE level maths so chill ur tits

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending