The Student Room Group

grades to get into a course like mathematics A level

I've been wondering if its possible to get into A level mathematics if I had a C grade that was one mark of a B I've been suffering from anxiety and depression throughout secondary but ofcourse no one cares so would I still be able to do the course?

Scroll to see replies

nope and i am being nice
Original post by jtk101
I've been wondering if its possible to get into A level mathematics if I had a C grade that was one mark of a B I've been suffering from anxiety and depression throughout secondary but ofcourse no one cares so would I still be able to do the course?

There would probably some way around, but it would be very difficult. Have you sent for a remark? Most people do look at extenuating circumstances- particularly if you have doctors/councillors notes ect.

On the other hand, there is a reason most institutions require at least a B. A-Level maths is hard. Even an A at GCSE will see you struggling, anyone with a B at our college has extra lessons. People come in with A-A* and come out with D's. If you are 100% dedicated there's always a way, but it's good to weigh up if it's a realistic option (:
No. Most schools require an 'A' grade at GCSE maths. Some schools/colleges may let you in with a top B. The content of the course, according to my friends, is quite difficult and requires a lot of hard work. Some of my friends attained A*'s in maths and couldn't handle the course.
Original post by jtk101

Ordinarily I'd say it's very unlikely but if there are genuine extenuating circumstances, it may be worth letting relevant sixth forms or colleges know so they can take that into consideration. I still don't think it's very likely but it could be worth a shot. Please be aware though that there's a reason why a lot of schools ask for an A grade in GCSE Maths in order to do the A Level - the A Level course is hard and if you're genuinely working at a B/C level at GCSE, you will struggle a lot in the A Level course.
Possibly if the requirement is a B but tbh I think even if one had a B in GCSE maths they would be likely to struggle at A level
Reply 6
Original post by jtk101

2 of my friends got a C at GCSE maths and were luckily accepted onto A level maths.

They both ended up with A at AS. They did work incredibly hard though, we went to the library every day after school and did maths for 1 hour.
Reply 7
Original post by Naruke
2 of my friends got a C at GCSE maths and were luckily accepted onto A level maths.

They both ended up with A at AS. They did work incredibly hard though, we went to the library every day after school and did maths for 1 hour.

Wow that's great how did they get into the math course did they have to do anything like a mini test
Reply 8
Original post by jtk101
Wow that's great how did they get into the math course did they have to do anything like a mini test

They were put on conditional entry, the condition was that if they passed an exam in October then they'd be allowed to continue.

If your school don't make this sort of agreement with you, self-teach C1+C2 and ask them if you could sit an exam in around December.
Reply 9
Original post by Naruke
They were put on conditional entry, the condition was that if they passed an exam in October then they'd be allowed to continue.

If your school don't make this sort of agreement with you, self-teach C1+C2 and ask them if you could sit an exam in around December.

Thanks for suggesting but there is however one problem since my school would refuse that too. even other schools nearby seem unsure i really don't know what to do.
Reply 10
Original post by jtk101
Thanks for suggesting but there is however one problem since my school would refuse that too. even other schools nearby seem unsure i really don't know what to do.

Are you enrolled at a sixth form
Reply 11
Original post by Naruke

well i guess I'm willing to study an hour a day for maths it's perfectly doable
Reply 12
Original post by jtk101
well i guess I'm willing to study an hour a day for maths it's perfectly doable

harder than it sounds :]
Reply 13
Original post by Naruke
harder than it sounds :]

Lol i know its hard but it can come in handy when i become a programmer
Reply 14
Original post by jtk101
Lol i know its hard but it can come in handy when i become a programmer

Are you enrolled at a sixth form g
Reply 15
Original post by Naruke
Are you enrolled at a sixth form

Yes I'm enrolled but the school doesn't accept me so I've decided i should check out some other places
Reply 16
Original post by jtk101
Yes I'm enrolled but the school doesn't accept me so I've decided i should check out some other places

Wait, wait. So you are enrolled but they won't accept you for Maths?
Reply 17
Original post by Naruke
Wait, wait. So you are enrolled but they won't accept you for Maths?

yep sadly they won't accept like seriously I'm so determined and they don't care lol they forced me to pick a filler subject which I'm seriously hating i think I'm moving college
Reply 18
Original post by jtk101
yep sadly they won't accept like seriously I'm so determined and they don't care lol they forced me to pick a filler subject which I'm seriously hating i think I'm moving college

What subjects did they allow you to take
Reply 19
Original post by Naruke
What subjects did they allow you to take

English literature, art and Business all A levels but sadly i failed english literature and business i admit its my fault for letting my anxiety and depression getting in way therefore causing self harm. The school won let me continue the courses English and business, i really wanted to do mathematics and that was all that was in my mind at the time business was soon boring and literature i barely had time for it basically the school had too many crap teacher they never supported me one bit

Quick Reply

Latest