The Student Room Group

Trapz99's Trek to A*A*A!

Hi guys! I'm Trapz99 and, after good GCSEs and a not-so-good AS, I am trying to improve again and aim high!

A bit about me:
At AS, I got a AA in maths and further maths but my UMS was pretty low.
My school does the reformed A-Levels for economics and physics so we didn't do an AS this year and instead did mock exams. In economics I got an A and in physics a C (lol).

So my official predicted grades are A*AAB

Plans for the future:
My aim is to study economics and maths at university. I am looking to apply to UCL (Economics and Statistics), Queen Mary, LSE and Bristol My personal statement will cover economics, mathematics and mathematical economics.

Realising my ambitions:
Firstly, I will need to revise AS physics since I'm awful at it. I've done some of this over the holidays already but still have some work to do.

Secondly, I will be retaking C3 next year. For C3 I don't need to do that much work, just some more past papers, but I need to make sure I get over 90 UMS at least in C3 and C4.

Finally, I need to make detailed revision notes for all my non-maths subjects and need to do at least one past paper in each module a week. And somehow I need to fit all of that in between continuing my volunteering, badminton and preparing for the Target 2.0 competition.

This is going to the busiest year of my life!
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Plan for this week:
- Finish C4 Chapters 1&2
- Finish FP1 Chapter 1
- Finish Momentum in A2 Physics
- Revise AS Physics Particles
- Start writing personal statement
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Trapz99
Plan for this week:
- Finish C4 Chapters 1&2
- Finish FP1 Chapter 1
- Revise AS Physics Particles
- Start writing personal statement

Aye

Good luck big man!

I can help you with anything in regards to maths
You've done A2 Maths and FM in one year? JESUS!
Original post by Trapz99
x

How many marks did you get in econ?

I do AQA and got 125/140 with 107 being an A. Is an A* prediction realistic?

i did the AS.
Original post by Trapz99
Hi guys! I'm Trapz99 and, after very good GCSEs and a not-so-good AS, I am trying to improve again and aim high!

A bit about me:
At AS, I got a AA in maths and further maths but my UMS was pretty low in C3 and M2.
My school does the reformed A-Levels for economics and physics so we didn't do an AS this year and instead did mock exams. In economics I got an A and in physics a C.

So my predicted grades will either be AAAC or A*AAC

Plans for the future:
My aim is to study economics and maths at university. I am looking to apply to UCL (Economics and Statistics), Warwick (MORSE), Queen Mary (Economics, Mathematics and Statistics), Surrey and KCL (economics). My personals statement will cover economics, mathematics and mathematical economics.

Realising my ambitions:
Firstly, I will need to revise AS physics since I'm awful at it. I've done some of this over the holidays already but still have some work to do.

Secondly, I will be retaking C3 and M2 next year. For C3 I don't need to do that much work, just some more past papers, but I have some work to do in M2.

Finally, I need to make detailed revision notes for all my non-maths subjects and need to do at least one past paper in each module a week. And somehow I need to fit all of that in between continuing my volunteering, badminton and preparing for the Target 2.0 competition.

This is going to the busiest year of my life!

Why don't you drop physics? Shouldn't be that needed for economics.
Good luck :redface:

The one thing I would say as well, if the unis you're looking at offer placement years then great - go for those in particular.

And you've done M1 and M2, would be helpful (but not vital by any means) to get some more stats modules in there :tongue: (though I'm not sure if you've completed A2 FM or just AS.
Reply 7
Original post by FailedMyMocks
You've done A2 Maths and FM in one year? JESUS!

No I only did AS maths and further and C3
I'm doing A2 this year
Reply 8
Original post by Roadman123

Yeah but I want to improve in it!
Reply 9
Original post by citibankrec
How many marks did you get in econ?

I do AQA and got 125/140 with 107 being an A. Is an A* prediction realistic?

i did the AS.

You have a good chance of being predicted an A*. I got I think 70% in the mock exam, we didn't do AS because we're on the new specification in which I have to do both AS and A2 exams in 2017.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Roadman123

Real men don't run from their problems, they fix them
Reply 11
Original post by SeanFM
Good luck :redface:

The one thing I would say as well, if the unis you're looking at offer placement years then great - go for those in particular.

And you've done M1 and M2, would be helpful (but not vital by any means) to get some more stats modules in there :tongue: (though I'm not sure if you've completed A2 FM or just AS.

I've only done AS maths so far
Basically I did c1-3, S1-2, m1-2 so 7 units in total
This year I'll be doing FP1-2, D1-2 and C4
So I have an AS in maths but not an AS in further maths since I didn't do fp1
But my school gave me a prediction of A*A or maths and FM based on the grades I have

Basically my school is really weird and we don't do the proper AS levels in further maths because they wanted us to do C3 instead of FP1 and do FP1 in Year 13 (which is the year that I'm in now).
Original post by Trapz99
I've only done AS maths so far
Basically I did c1-3, S1-2, m1-2 so 7 units in total
This year I'll be doing FP1-2, D1-2 and C4
So I have an AS in maths but not an AS in further maths since I didn't do fp1
But my school gave me a prediction of A*A or maths and FM based on the grades I have

Basically my school is really weird and we don't do the proper AS levels in further maths because they wanted us to do C3 instead of FP1 and do FP1 in Year 13 (which is the year that I'm in now).

Ah okay, interesting way of doing things :tongue: but good luck anyway.
Reply 13
Original post by SeanFM
Ah okay, interesting way of doing things :tongue: but good luck anyway.

A confusing way of doing this, more like! It took me a few weeks to understand the whole A-Level situation at my school. Nowadays our AS in non-maths subjects doesn't actually count towards the A-Level- so we have to do both AS and A2 in year 13 in one year. The AS units taken in Year 12 are just a mock exam in a way
What are your predicted grades?
Doing exactly same subjects as you
Any tips?
And well done for getting AAAC . May i ask what you specifically find hard in physics?

Also did you like do more than one maths/fm modules at the same time? or one at a time?
And does your school have to enter you in the Two point zero thing
(edited 7 years ago)
Rah my G murdered his GCSE's still! Good luck for the future still.
Reply 17
Original post by shanktheopps
What are your predicted grades?

A*AAC
Original post by AdeptDz
Doing exactly same subjects as you
Any tips?
And well done for getting AAAC . May i ask what you specifically find hard in physics?

Also did you like do more than one maths/fm modules at the same time? or one at a time?
And does your school have to enter you in the Two point zero thing

For physics last year, I did pretty well in my end-of-module tests that we did in class. I just failed the mock exam which the predicted grade was determined from. I just didn't study enough and didn't learn like a quarter of the stuff I needed to learn.

My tip is just to manage your time well, which is something I didn't do enough. You have to do past papers a lot and generally try very hard in all subjects.

Yeah I did more than one module at once.
Original post by Trapz99
A*AAC

For physics last year, I did pretty well in my end-of-module tests that we did in class. I just failed the mock exam which the predicted grade was determined from. I just didn't study enough and didn't learn like a quarter of the stuff I needed to learn.

My tip is just to manage your time well, which is something I didn't do enough. You have to do past papers a lot and generally try very hard in all subjects.

Yeah I did more than one module at once.

You started revising?
Reply 19
Original post by 10Fatanda
You started revising?

Yes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending