The Student Room Group

Bag for teaching?

Hello!

Starting my PGCE next week and I'm getting all my things together for it. One thing I still need is a decent bag. I love over the shoulder/satchels but I have a back and shoulder problem so they're not really any good for carrying much around. Does anyone have any other recommendations for things that are practical (and preferably not too ugly!)?

Cheers :smile:
Original post by travelfiend
Hello!

Starting my PGCE next week and I'm getting all my things together for it. One thing I still need is a decent bag. I love over the shoulder/satchels but I have a back and shoulder problem so they're not really any good for carrying much around. Does anyone have any other recommendations for things that are practical (and preferably not too ugly!)?

Cheers :smile:

Cabin baggage trolley. Seriously.
A comfy backpack.
Reply 3
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Cabin baggage trolley. Seriously.

Some schools don't allow them as they are considered trip hazards (if you mean the kind you drag behind you).
Original post by Angelil
Some schools don't allow them as they are considered trip hazards (if you mean the kind you drag behind you).

I did mean that, but I obviously worked in a school free from health and safety interference! (And mainly on ground floor level.)
I have a large Cambridge satchel which is big enough for the basics I need on a day-to-day basis. It just has my purse, phone, iPad, teacher folder (class lists, seating plans, data, etc.) and any bits and bobs like worksheets I have printed at home and plan to photocopy when I arrive at school. I've had it for nearly 4 years, use it every single day for school, and it still looks almost good as new. It's not particularly heavy but I don't need to carry it around much - just from my car to my classroom, and back again at the end of the day. You can get backpack satchels, if you love the style but aren't able to carry one on your shoulder.

For transporting exercise books to and from home, I have a large folding plastic box on wheels. My HoD has a lot of back trouble and bought them for the entire department last year to stop us doing our backs in! I've never heard the thing about schools banning them as a trip hazard, but even if they do, it shouldn't be a problem provided you only use it at the start and end of the day (rather than in a busy corridor with pupils around). Most schools are fine with them and teachers who don't have their own classroom often rely on them for transporting stuff around the site.
Reply 6
Alright for some who have their own classrooms :tongue: We are spread across 4 floors and the basement is an absolute maze! Teachers and kids are up and down stairs all day unfortunately :frown:
Loving this thread. A Seasalt branded jute shopping bag seems to be all the rage around me (and I have one too) but I have also used trolley bags and they are great at lowering your chiropractor/physio/osteopath bills.
I always wear support tights too as varicose veins are a real problem for me.
TMI about the veins??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending