The Student Room Group

Going to uni in London?

Next year I'm interested in going to Queen Mary to study Drama, because I find the degree very interesting and I know someone who does it and says that they love it. However, I am very worried about the cost of living in London! I can be very frugal with my purchases especially food, but obviously rent and transport costs are unavoidable. QMUL's prospectus says that the living cost is around 12500 per school year which is terrifying. I have a part time job and my wages will go up in November so I'm hopefully going to save as much as possible, and I also get £30 a week for EMA which will go straight into my savings account. I also think I am entitled to the full maintenance loan/grant for London. Should I be OK? I'm extremely worried but I don't want finance to hold me back from my dream uni.
Original post by smc720
Next year I'm interested in going to Queen Mary to study Drama, because I find the degree very interesting and I know someone who does it and says that they love it. However, I am very worried about the cost of living in London! I can be very frugal with my purchases especially food, but obviously rent and transport costs are unavoidable. QMUL's prospectus says that the living cost is around 12500 per school year which is terrifying. I have a part time job and my wages will go up in November so I'm hopefully going to save as much as possible, and I also get £30 a week for EMA which will go straight into my savings account. I also think I am entitled to the full maintenance loan/grant for London. Should I be OK? I'm extremely worried but I don't want finance to hold me back from my dream uni.

Depending where you live you could be fine, there are properties in Mile End (right by QMUL) with ~£500 rent pcm inc. bills housesharing (though not sure if they are only professional lets - I was looking at living in that area for my work). I don't know what it's like for London but at my uni (which was also in a pretty expensive city) the people on full grant/loan always had the most spare cash, there'll probably be help from the uni available too :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending