The Student Room Group

So tired!

I've just started college a few days ago but I'm so tired, I'm completely exhausted and today was only the first day of classes so no homework yet either!
I'm getting about 8 to 8 1/2 hours sleep a day

How do I deal with this tiredness? Especially once the workload is upped?
Reply 1
Original post by Ellieana
I've just started college a few days ago but I'm so tired, I'm completely exhausted and today was only the first day of classes so no homework yet either!
I'm getting about 8 to 8 1/2 hours sleep a day

How do I deal with this tiredness? Especially once the workload is upped?

Depends why you're tired. It can be normal to be exhausted after starting school/ college again since you've been used to doing nothing for so long over summer. In that case you just need to give yourself some time to settle in and possibly set yourself a routine.
If it feels like there may be more to it then i'd pop to your doctor and ask if they'll look into it. It's common to have vitamin deficiencies and other little things that make a huge difference to how you feel. I was exhausted all through GCSEs and when I started college and thought I was just being a lazy teen or something. Eventually it turned out I had a vitaminD deficiency and something called hypothyroidism. Basically the only symptom was tiredness and after I started suppliments I improved a bunch. Unfortionately I waited a long time before getting it checked out so it's taken longer for it to get better, but it has really helped. It's worth looking into.

Some people also just need a bit more sleep cos the quality of their sleep isn't as good. You might try adding an hour or something if you can and see if that helps. Also try eating and drinking enerising stuff (not caffine though). Things like having a banana with breakfast and stuff. A little bit of exercise can help too. I'm not talking about hardcore running or anything- just a gentle bike ride or swim or something now and again. Routine is important at college too especially if you're feeling the pressure. You don't have to make it crazy strict and plan out every minuet of your day, just try to make sure you eat, go to bed and things at around the same time so your body knows what's coming and isn't always trying to keep up with changing timelines. Just see if anything like that helps and if it does try to stick to it.

Good luck :smile:
Original post by Kindred
Depends why you're tired. It can be normal to be exhausted after starting school/ college again since you've been used to doing nothing for so long over summer. In that case you just need to give yourself some time to settle in and possibly set yourself a routine.
If it feels like there may be more to it then i'd pop to your doctor and ask if they'll look into it. It's common to have vitamin deficiencies and other little things that make a huge difference to how you feel. I was exhausted all through GCSEs and when I started college and thought I was just being a lazy teen or something. Eventually it turned out I had a vitaminD deficiency and something called hypothyroidism. Basically the only symptom was tiredness and after I started suppliments I improved a bunch. Unfortionately I waited a long time before getting it checked out so it's taken longer for it to get better, but it has really helped. It's worth looking into.

Some people also just need a bit more sleep cos the quality of their sleep isn't as good. You might try adding an hour or something if you can and see if that helps. Also try eating and drinking enerising stuff (not caffine though). Things like having a banana with breakfast and stuff. A little bit of exercise can help too. I'm not talking about hardcore running or anything- just a gentle bike ride or swim or something now and again. Routine is important at college too especially if you're feeling the pressure. You don't have to make it crazy strict and plan out every minuet of your day, just try to make sure you eat, go to bed and things at around the same time so your body knows what's coming and isn't always trying to keep up with changing timelines. Just see if anything like that helps and if it does try to stick to it.

Good luck :smile:

spot on. good advice:smile: *
Hiya
Maybe see the doctor if this doesnt go away. You maybe have low iron levels, which is what I have as I am anaemic which causes me to be tired all the time x
Reply 4
Omg I thought I was the only one I'm just so exhausted I don't know why! It's so annoying because you feel unbothered :frown:
Hate to say it but after a while of 6th form you just realise this is the new state of feeling you have to get used to having

Quick Reply

Latest