The Student Room Group

Blood in urine

I think I had cystitus last week on monday which I think caused by sex with my bf, but I didn't go to the doctors even though there was a bit of blood, wanted to go to the toilet but couldn't, burning pain when peeing etc because it cleared up after having sodium citrate sachets and putting bicarbonate of soda in water and drinking loads of it so my symptons disappeared by friday.

I then spent the weekend with my bf, and we had sex again which got quite rough (I know probs wasnt the best idea as ith hurt quite a bit) and then yesterday I was peeing blood (more than the previous week) which was really painful and had little clots. I also felt really cold and generally unwell. I had the same thing once before and the doctor said I had a UTI so I figured it would be that.

Anyway I rang the doctors up and there was a doctor ill and they couldnt do anything for me so I took some more sodium citrate sachets and once again all the symptoms seemed to have cleared up again like I have no visible blood at all and I don't feel an urge to go to the toilet/no burning pain etc...

Today I feel much better although I did ring up the doctors again and again no emergency appointments left though.

Do I ring again tomorrow to still get it checked out or do you think it would be okay to leave it?
Please keep trying to book an appointment with a Doctor - don't risk it, you can't undiagnose yourself just because you feel better now
Definitely get this checked out. The sachets you're having might be alleviating the symptoms but they're not treating the cause. Keep calling your doctor to get an appointment
Reply 3
maybe go to A&E if you're that worried
Reply 4
A&E or a walk-in centre.
Original post by fefssdf
maybe go to A&E if you're that worried

Original post by Tootles
A&E or a walk-in centre.

The clue is in the name "accident and emergency".

This is neither an accident, nor an emergency. A&E is not a replacement GP service. Stop breaking the system.
Reply 6
Original post by Etomidate

This is neither an accident, nor an emergency. A&E is not a replacement GP service. Stop breaking the system.
Repeated occurrence of blood in urine is an emergency, especially if it's caused/exacerbated by sexual activity.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Tootles
Repeated occurrence of blood in urine is an emergency, especially if it's caused/exacerbated by sexual activity.

It's not, unless you physically cannot pass urine because of clots which only tends to happen in older men who are passing a few centimeter sized clots.

This is not an emergency.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
I'm not up for waiting in A&E for hours, and Etomidate is right, it really isn't a big emergency. I can't really get to any walk-in centres as there are none near me and I can't drive. I'll just wait it out for tomorrow and try to book an appointment again.
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
I'm not up for waiting in A&E for hours, and Etomidate is right, it really isn't a big emergency. I can't really get to any walk-in centres as there are none near me and I can't drive. I'll just wait it out for tomorrow and try to book an appointment again.

You can also call 111 for advice. If they think it is somewhat urgant they can book you an out of hours appointment or suggest the best course of action :smile:
Ask if your doctors offer an "emergency" appointment - I don't mean in the same sense as A&E but I am sure they would take priority with you if you're passing blood through urine.

The 111 number is also a good shout.
I think I had cystitus last week on monday which I think caused by sex with my bf, but I didn't go to the doctors even though there was a bit of blood, wanted to go to the toilet but couldn't, burning pain when peeing etc because it cleared up after having sodium citrate sachets and putting bicarbonate of soda in water and drinking loads of it so my symptons disappeared by friday.

I then spent the weekend with my bf, and we had sex again which got quite rough (I know probs wasnt the best idea as ith hurt quite a bit) and then yesterday I was peeing blood (more than the previous week) which was really painful and had little clots. I also felt really cold and generally unwell. I had the same thing once before and the doctor said I had a UTI so I figured it would be that.

Anyway I rang the doctors up and there was a doctor ill and they couldnt do anything for me so I took some more sodium citrate sachets and once again all the symptoms seemed to have cleared up again like I have no visible blood at all and I don't feel an urge to go to the toilet/no burning pain etc...

Today I feel much better although I did ring up the doctors again and again no emergency appointments left though.

Do I ring again tomorrow to still get it checked out or do you think it would be okay to leave it?

You really should go back to the GP, it could be something more serious such as a bladder or kidney infection or even cancer (although unlikely)

Blood in your urine is not a good thing nor is it something you should ignore
Original post by Etomidate

Just as a note to add to this, sometimes something is too urgent to wait for normal working hours, but is not an "emergency". In this case a lot of areas will have an urgent treatment centre. You can also call 111 if you're not sure.
Quoted user is right, blood in urine is not always an emergency and isn't usually worth going to A&E for (although if paired with things like intense pain it can be) But it can escalate quickly and is usually considered urgent. I would tend to call 111 if you're not able to talk to a doctor that day as it can be difficult to tell urgent blood in urine from non-urgent.
If you're able to, go private - you'll be seen much quicker and you'll receive a better service than the NHS will provide.

I hope everything is okay though and it's nothing serious.
Original post by Kindred
Just as a note to add to this, sometimes something is too urgent to wait for normal working hours, but is not an "emergency". In this case a lot of areas will have an urgent treatment centre. You can also call 111 if you're not sure.
Quoted user is right, blood in urine is not always an emergency and isn't usually worth going to A&E for (although if paired with things like intense pain it can be) But it can escalate quickly and is usually considered urgent. I would tend to call 111 if you're not able to talk to a doctor that day as it can be difficult to tell urgent blood in urine from non-urgent.

I've had blood in my urine for about 5 days now, the first few days I ignored it because I thought my period hadn't finished but this blood is different from period blood and I was alarmed this morning especially when I went to the toilet and there seemed to be quite a lot in. I've got a GP appointment for 9am tomorrow morning but I'm concerned as NHS website said it could be something more serious if I don't feel pain or burning.
I've had blood in my urine for about 5 days now, the first few days I ignored it because I thought my period hadn't finished but this blood is different from period blood and I was alarmed this morning especially when I went to the toilet and there seemed to be quite a lot in. I've got a GP appointment for 9am tomorrow morning but I'm concerned as NHS website said it could be something more serious if I don't feel pain or burning.

9am appointment should be fine so just hang tight until then. If you get worried in the meantime or get really bad pain, call 111. Hope you feel better soon and it's nothing too serious :smile:
Original post by Kindred
9am appointment should be fine so just hang tight until then. If you get worried in the meantime or get really bad pain, call 111. Hope you feel better soon and it's nothing too serious :smile:

Thank you for your kind words :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest