The Student Room Group

Is Cambridge for me?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by vincrows
Shadowing scheme is not available to everyone. Your school/social background has to meet certain criteria as its a part of Access programme.
But in OP is, it's a great scheme.

That's true - but when I went they couldn't fill the programme so opened it up to private schoolers too. I assumed that's usually the case; maybe not. But it's worth applying even if you don't think you have a chance.
Original post by 1010marina
That's true - but when I went they couldn't fill the programme so opened it up to private schoolers too. I assumed that's usually the case; maybe not. But it's worth applying even if you don't think you have a chance.

There are loads of people who get turned down, like hundreds.... if you're at a private school, interesting to hear you made the scheme...

Shadowing scheme is very popular and always over-subscribed, and it's really for widening the access to the university for the students who may otherwise not consider Oxbridge.
It's extremely unlikely it's under subscribed, and even if it is, it's unlikely the available place is given to a private schooler......unless that private school is a very under-performing one and has not history of sending their student to Oxbridge in past 5 (?) yrs or more and you're coming from a family with no university graduate.

If you definitely don't fit their official criteria (you can check it on the University and CUSU's website), don't bother applying. You're just wasting your time and their time. :wink:
Shadowing scheme is very popular and always over-subscribed, and it's really for widening the access to the university for the students who may otherwise not consider Oxbridge.
It's extremely unlikely it's under subscribed, and even if it is, it's unlikely the available place is given to a private schooler......unless that private school is a very under-performing one and has not history of sending their student to Oxbridge in past 5 (?) yrs or more and you're coming from a family with no university graduate.

If you definitely don't fit their official criteria (you can check it on the University and CUSU's website), don't bother applying. You're just wasting your time and their time. :wink:

I'm not sure where you've heard this from but my experience was different... Everyone I know that applied got in (four from my school, a few from local schools), which does fit in with the school criteria definitely, but when we got there we found a huge range of schools from the terrible to the very good... I'm not talking top top, but I stayed at Queen's and there were only three of us that didn't have a recent school history of Cambridge from what I remember.

My mentor was a state schooler though, which was nice. She made it seem like a really normal place (which it is). I met a student who went to a school where she was one of 30 pupils that got into Oxbridge that year! The actual students at Cambridge were all lovely, grounded, normal people, which I'm ashamed to say I wasn't really expecting. The lectures are quite standard uni lectures, but the tutorials are what really stand out. OP, there's definitely something for everyone.

A very positive experience and I'd just like to repeat again that you should definitely TRY applying if you're interested in Cambridge. The worst they can do is reject you.
I'm not sure where you've heard this from but my experience was different... Everyone I know that applied got in (four from my school, a few from local schools), which does fit in with the school criteria definitely, but when we got there we found a huge range of schools from the terrible to the very good... I'm not talking top top, but I stayed at Queen's and there were only three of us that didn't have a recent school history of Cambridge from what I remember.

My mentor was a state schooler though, which was nice. She made it seem like a really normal place (which it is). I met a student who went to a school where she was one of 30 pupils that got into Oxbridge that year! The actual students at Cambridge were all lovely, grounded, normal people, which I'm ashamed to say I wasn't really expecting. The lectures are quite standard uni lectures, but the tutorials are what really stand out. OP, there's definitely something for everyone.

A very positive experience and I'd just like to repeat again that you should definitely TRY applying if you're interested in Cambridge. The worst they can do is reject you.

Right, that's quite different from what I've heard about the scheme over years. My daughter's best friend was their college's access officer and was involved quite heavily in organising it.
Also, there's always a thread or topics on shadowing scheme in this forum every year and I've seen many having been turned down.

But it's ok, if that was really what you saw there, I won't insist that's not the case.:wink: And really good to hear you enjoyed the scheme. :smile:

Just to be sure, to avoid misunderstanding by someone who read your post....
The person who's from a school that sent 30 students to Oxbridge was one of Cambridge students you met there, not one of students who we're shadowing?

The purpose of the scheme is exactly what you experienced yourself: to surprise you that most of Cambridge students are just normal, down to earth h people people from ordinary background, not like horrible, snobbery upper class ***** the tabloids want us to believe :tongue:, and that's Cambridge is within your reach as long as you're a hard-working, talented student with genuine passion in your subject.
So, it seems the mission accomplished in your case. :smile:

Anyway, here's the official info about the shadowing scheme, if anyone is interested.

https://www.cusu.co.uk/get-involved/campaigns/access/access-campaigns/shadowing-scheme

https://www.applytocambridge.com/shadowing/apply/

https://www.cam.ac.uk/news/cusu-shadowing-scheme-offers-unique-insight-into-cambridge-life
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jakethomas99
Hi guys,
I've never posted on here before but I really need advice for choosing a uni! So I loved Cambridge when I visited, and I want to study somewhere with high standards, but I also want to have fun and make memories, and I worry that I'll miss out on the social side of uni at Cambridge! Can anyone give me their own experience of life at Cambridge?

Just as Cambridge is more academically intense than most other universities, its social life for students is more vibrant and active. Just take a look at the number of student societies and sports - just as varied and numerous as at any other university, and they have student members or they wouldn't exist. In fact Cambridge has many more opportunities for a social life because the Collegiate structure means that there are College equivalents of many of the University clubs and societies. On top of that, as the town is dominated by academia and academics, there are many more cultural activities going on in the town than in most towns and cities, in a very condensed, central area. There's no way you could miss out on a social life unless you decided to, and worked pretty hard at being a recluse.
Reply 26
I think 40-45 hrs a week may be a lower end of the range. For other courses, esp. sciences, you may spend more time on work.

If you liked it then apply. You will work hard at any top uni you go to so that shouldn't put you off! Vincrows is right. My timetable at a different uni is solid ( only Wenesday pm free). It will be hard work wherever you go but you can still maintain a social life. This may be why Cambridge has rules on getting employment in term time? I may be wrong about that but I seem to remember reading something?. Good luck with your application, go along for the ride! 👍
Reply 27
Its just another university, its not Nirvana.
Original post by Maker

Lol I really don't think anyone who's actually at Cambridge thinks they're in nirvana.......
Original post by Jakethomas99
Hi guys,
I've never posted on here before but I really need advice for choosing a uni! So I loved Cambridge when I visited, and I want to study somewhere with high standards, but I also want to have fun and make memories, and I worry that I'll miss out on the social side of uni at Cambridge! Can anyone give me their own experience of life at Cambridge?

1) Your academics are a better indicator so if you're on course for A*A*A/A*A*A* then it's a viable choice.

2)Because in the entire history of Cambridge University and the thousands of students who have passed through its doors, nobody had a great time or made great memories? You have pretty much every sports, political and cultural etc society you can think of with the bonus of college specific activities too. If you really need a bi city experience, London is just a short train/bus ride away. University life is of course what you make of it but I am always bemused when people seem to think places like Oxford or Cambridge lack some sort of "social scene" and that indeed people would rather go to somewhere "less prestigious" without the perks of a Cambridge education for the sake of "having a good time". I doubt many who studied at Cambridge would say their time there was boring on unfulfiling. It's not some drug and alcohol fuelled orgy like Manchester, Leeds or Sheffield but that's why they're leagues apart as universities.

If you get into Cambridge, you will have the time of your life.
Original post by Maker

yeah it's just like Leeds or Sheffield.
Reply 31
Original post by Jazzy Foot
yeah it's just like Leeds or Sheffield.

Yep. They learn the same stuff as any other university.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 32
Lol I really don't think anyone who's actually at Cambridge thinks they're in nirvana.......

But some people like to think they ascended to some higher plane when they get into Cambridge instead of a small provincial city in the Fens.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by Maker

Just faster, in more detail and with harder examination questions.
Reply 34
Original post by alow
Just faster, in more detail and with harder examination questions.

If only they made Britain a better country when they graduated. British education attainment languishes way behind countries without Cambridge.
Reply 35
Original post by Maker
If only they made Britain a better country when they graduated. British education attainment languishes way behind countries without Cambridge.

What does that have to do with the content of their courses? I, like most Cambridge students have no interest in going into education.
Original post by Maker
But some people like to think they ascended to some higher plane when they get into Cambridge instead of a small provincial city in the Fens.
No idea how many of those 'some people' you speak of you have actually met in real life, but I can assure you they'll soon realize they haven't ascended to Nirvana as soon as lectures and supervisions hit you. :wink:

Original post by Maker

University courses are not like schools with national curriculum.
Content, level , the way to approach the subject and style/quality of teaching varies a lot from university to university. Engineering at University A is never exactly the same as at University B.
There's a good reason why some universities are valued more highly than others by employers.

I'm not saying Oxbridge are always better than other universities in all subjects in all aspects. Their courses tend to be more academic while some other universities' approach/teaching may be more practical and applicable to the real world.
Each prospective applicant has to decide which university is better form them, considering what they want from their university education.

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by alow
What does that have to do with the content of their courses? I, like most Cambridge students have no interest in going into education.

Makes my point.
Reply 38
Yeah but the academics teaching you aren't as renowned and no matter what you say, Leeds and Sheffield will never be considered prestigious institutions either in the UK or on a global stage.

They are merely middle of the road institutions where average students attend to get drunk, coast to a 2:2 and get a bog standard office job with an insurance company.

If you want to be taught by the best and network with the best companies and important people, Oxbridge is the place to be.

A retard would suggest otherwise.

So what, you still learn the same stuff as everyone else renowned or not. As I said already, Cambridge is just another university, it does not make you any better than anyone else.

I always found it amusing the Soviets ran rings around the Oxbridge educated people at MI5 and MI6 in part because those in MI5 and 6 thought they were superior to anyone else and the KGB took full advantage of their hubris.

Those people in business and academia are too stupid to assess the people in front of them and have to rely on brand names like Harvard and Cambridge. Why do you think so much money is spent getting into these universities?
Reply 39
Yeah but the academics teaching you aren't as renowned and no matter what you say, Leeds and Sheffield will never be considered prestigious institutions either in the UK or on a global stage.

They are merely middle of the road institutions where average students attend to get drunk, coast to a 2:2 and get a bog standard office job with an insurance company.

If you want to be taught by the best and network with the best companies and important people, Oxbridge is the place to be.

A retard would suggest otherwise.

Hubris working overtime.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending