The Student Room Group

What is A level psychology like?

I plan on studying bio, chem and either psychology or geography at A level. I obtained an A at GCSE for geography but I've never done psychology before, so I feel like I'm going to find it really difficult. However, I want to study something science related at uni so I feel as if psychology may be the more suitable option
It's interesting but hard work
Reply 2
It really depends on what you want to do in the future. Do you have any idea of courses? If you are doing Biology, both Psychology and Geography would compliment it well. It's worth checking out which uni accept psychology/geography as a science subject. I would recommend Psychology over Geography, because Biology and Chemistry A level's are both very content heavy, I'm not saying Psychology isn't, but its easier to engage with the content. Whereas for Geography, you'll just have to learn all the details. Psychology is more interesting and thus more fun to revise. You could always take both and then drop one a few months down the line? That would keep your options open. Geography is probably more academic, but seeing as you already have Biology and Chemistry, it doesn't really matter what your third A level is.

Hope that helps! :smile:
I do both. Psychology is lot's of essays (12 markers) and writing and geography is mostly remembering the steps and points and a fair share of essays (15 markers).

Psychology isn't as interesting as everyone thinks it will be. For example, AQA (although the contents similar across all exam boards) new spec psychology was made of 4 topics; research methods (which was really boring), social influence (fairly interesting), memory (okay), and then approaches, which was interesting but now you get to the point you have to learn all the divisions in the brain etc which is a stretch of time.
Original post by yaknow
It really depends on what you want to do in the future. Do you have any idea of courses? If you are doing Biology, both Psychology and Geography would compliment it well. It's worth checking out which uni accept psychology/geography as a science subject. I would recommend Psychology over Geography, because Biology and Chemistry A level's are both very content heavy, I'm not saying Psychology isn't, but its easier to engage with the content. Whereas for Geography, you'll just have to learn all the details. Psychology is more interesting and thus more fun to revise. You could always take both and then drop one a few months down the line? That would keep your options open. Geography is probably more academic, but seeing as you already have Biology and Chemistry, it doesn't really matter what your third A level is.

Hope that helps! :smile:

That's very helpful thank you, I did end up choosing psychology as I think it would compliment the other subjects I'm taking :smile:
Original post by _Lizabeth_
I do both. Psychology is lot's of essays (12 markers) and writing and geography is mostly remembering the steps and points and a fair share of essays (15 markers).

Psychology isn't as interesting as everyone thinks it will be. For example, AQA (although the contents similar across all exam boards) new spec psychology was made of 4 topics; research methods (which was really boring), social influence (fairly interesting), memory (okay), and then approaches, which was interesting but now you get to the point you have to learn all the divisions in the brain etc which is a stretch of time.

I'm also doing AQA and when I was looking through the spec I did think that some some topics didn't look so interesting. Which subject did you do better in?
Original post by Leyleyley13
I'm also doing AQA and when I was looking through the spec I did think that some some topics didn't look so interesting. Which subject did you do better in?

I did well in this actually :biggrin: as well as History and Geography (B which was disappointing). Chemistry was :angry:
Reply 7
Original post by Leyleyley13
That's very helpful thank you, I did end up choosing psychology as I think it would compliment the other subjects I'm taking :smile:

Thats great to hear. Hope it all goes well in the future. Good luck :smile:
Reply 8
I was wondering if anyone could help me with my psychology homework

What were the results of Abraham Maslows study

How did he carry out his study

Thank you so much
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply