The Student Room Group

University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PhysicsIP2016
I got it wrong the first time I did that question too. I got the right answer the second time round but I don't know if my method is incorrect or a bit crude. Anyway I got it by getting sec(2theta) = 1/(1-2theta^2) and then multiplying numerator and denominator by (1+2theta^2) - kind of like how you remove complex numbers from the denominator. Since you can disregard any theta with a power higher than 3 then you can disregard the 4theta^4 and so sec(2theta) is approximately 1+2theta^2.
Then I added that on to the sin(1/2theta)cos(theta) approximation.

Brilliant thank you 😋 I got there in then end 😂. Which college are you going to in October???
Original post by josephinemar25
Brilliant thank you 😋 I got there in then end 😂. Which college are you going to in October???

Clare College, wbu? :smile:
Reply 1162
Original post by Zacken
Accommodation officers. The King's one have been ignoring all our emails for the past few weeks now, so having someone on TSR to talk to to clarify matters would be really nice. I do realise that there's an issue with wildly varying policies for accommodation across colleges but they should still be able to deal with the general questions.

Wow. That's quite unprofessional.

Are you sure you have the right email address?
Original post by Zacken
Accommodation officers. The King's one have been ignoring all our emails for the past few weeks now, so having someone on TSR to talk to to clarify matters would be really nice. I do realise that there's an issue with wildly varying policies for accommodation across colleges but they should still be able to deal with the general questions.

As far as I know, the university's Accommodation Office (Service) only deal with visiting scholars or postgraduate who have to find accommodation privately or people who want to lent out their property to university-related people.
All the college accommodation is entirely a responsibility of each college and conditions/policies, etc, varies a lot from college to college, and there isn't the university 'Accommodation Officer' as such who oversees all accommodation of all colleges, afaik.

Soma person who's in charge of accommodation of your college is the only person who can help you in matter of your college accommodation.

What sort of things you wanted to know?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 16Characters....
Haha better to do that now than midway through a lecture :-) I've not been sent it by my college but I've been doing the pdf version.

I printed out the massive pdf then I got one already printed out in the post the next day haha.
Original post by vincrows

@alow @Zacken

Accommodation problem posts moved here :wink:
(edited 7 years ago)
Clare College, wbu? :smile:

I'm Fitz, probs see you at lectures and stuff. What courses are you thinking??? I'm picking chemistry, physics, material science and probably going to do maths B see how it goes and if not drop to maths A 😀
Original post by nestkitt
I printed out the massive pdf then I got one already printed out in the post the next day haha.

Haha that must have been annoying. I've just been doing it off the screen; so far no issues but when I was doing STEP I'd sometimes misread the question and spend ages trying to do something impossible.
I'm Fitz, probs see you at lectures and stuff. What courses are you thinking??? I'm picking chemistry, physics, material science and probably going to do maths B see how it goes and if not drop to maths A 😀

Awesome! Yeah we most likely will :biggrin: I'm doing Physics, Materials, Physiology and will attempt Maths B too 😂
Awesome! Yeah we most likely will :biggrin: I'm doing Physics, Materials, Physiology and will attempt Maths B too 😂

We're quite similar, physiology is an interesting choice 😀. Ha ha I know 😂 Will have to see how it goes.
We're quite similar, physiology is an interesting choice 😀. Ha ha I know 😂 Will have to see how it goes.

Yeah, on account of my lack of chemistry I thought it looked the most interesting! 😅
Only a few weeks left! :O
Original post by alow
Wow. That's quite unprofessional.

Are you sure you have the right email address?

It's weird because King's are usually very quick with their emails, I used to get replies 10 minutes after an email with their admissions team. Maybe the accom officer is on holiday or something.

And yeah, a friend of mine contacted her two weeks ago and I sent an email to the general undergraduate office last week, she forwarded my email onto the accom officer and weirdly enough, I got a reply a few hours after that post. :smile:

[...] All the college accommodation is entirely a responsibility of each college and conditions/policies, etc, varies a lot from college to college, and there isn't the university 'Accommodation Officer' as such who oversees all accommodation of all colleges, afaik. [...]

I sorta thought that might be the case, oh well.

I had to email them to confirm that I'd be requiring the room a day early for internationals (they asked us in the pack to send them an email) - I wanted to know from what time I could come (didn't want to be wandering around Cam with my suitcase for hours whilst I wait for them to open the accomodation) and whether or not the cafeteria would be open on that day that I come up.

But I've gotten a reply now - turns out they open at 9 a.m and they do have the cafeteria open (but no member rates till I pick up my student card on the next Monday) so that works out well for me. :biggrin:
Original post by Zacken
It's weird because King's are usually very quick with their emails, I used to get replies 10 minutes after an email with their admissions team. Maybe the accom officer is on holiday or something.
That's VERY likely, I think.

I sorta thought that might be the case, oh well.

I had to email them to confirm that I'd be requiring the room a day early for internationals (they asked us in the pack to send them an email) - I wanted to know from what time I could come (didn't want to be wandering around Cam with my suitcase for hours whilst I wait for them to open the accomodation) and whether or not the cafeteria would be open on that day that I come up.

But I've gotten a reply now - turns out they open at 9 a.m and they do have the cafeteria open (but no member rates till I pick up my student card on the next Monday) so that works out well for me. :biggrin:

A question like that is definitely for an individual college to answer even IF there were a university accommodation officer (there isn't).
If you're international, I think you can arrive anytime you want (as long as it's a civilized time, not like 3 am or something....:tongue:). And if your room isn't ready when you arrive, I'm sure the porter will let you leave your suitcases with them while you're killing your time in the town. They have a storage space for storing goods delivered, etc. so a couple of large suitcases or so shouldn't be a problem.

There're always some postgraduates (and perhaps a few undergraduates) arriving a few days/ a week or so early, or some even staying over summer. (esp. international postgrads). Either cafe or buttery (or both, if you're lucky) should be open to cater them.
But if it isn't, you'll be at King's, there're many coffee shops and other eateries nearby, what are you worrying about! :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)

At this point, I feel like I'm making things up to be worried about just for the sake of it. :lol:

(Thank you!)
Original post by Zacken
At this point, I feel like I'm making things up to be worried about just for the sake of it. :lol:

(Thank you!)

You are.....eh.....very excited about the prospect of coming to Cambridge.
That's what it is. :biggrin:
You are.....eh.....very excited about the prospect of coming to Cambridge.
That's what it is. :biggrin:

3 weeks left!!. :woo:

I'm very excited about it most of the time, but sometimes when it's late and I'm in a sort of mood, I get rather scared of the whole thing: not making friends, being away from family properly for the first time ever, leaving my friends behind, etc... but I manage to shake it off by the morning and get all excited again.
Original post by Zacken

I'm very excited about it most of the time, but sometimes when it's late and I'm in a sort of mood, I get rather scared of the whole thing: not making friends, being away from family properly for the first time ever, leaving my friends behind, etc... but I manage to shake it off by the morning and get all excited again.

As I said to @Serine Sоul, it's marriage blue, Cambridge-version. But your symptoms seems more intermittent type.....:tongue:
Original post by Zacken

Yeh no one is going to like u there.
You should be worried.
Gna be lonely for 3 years.
Also, holidays are gna be even worse, sad tymes for u lad. U can stay in my shed if u want.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zacken

just imagine what it would be like for someone much dumber like me who also doesnt know half of all students online :tongue:
Original post by physicsmaths
Yeh no one is going to like u there.
You should be worried.
Gna be lonely for 3 years.
Also, holidays are gna be even worse, sad tymes for u lad. U can stay in my shed if u want.

Posted from TSR Mobile

He cant, Clement burned it down in retaliation

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending