The Student Room Group

Mayor of London was voted for along racial lines?

Doesn't the Mayor of London prove that "Muslims" can elect their own politicians in without the help of the majority?

The 2011 Census claimed:
The largest number of Muslims is in London. 37.4% percent of the Muslim population of England and Wales live in London. The population of London is 8,173,941 of which 1,012,823 declared themselves as Muslim. Hence, 12.4% of the city are adherents of Islam.

In 2016, the number of people who voted for the Pakistani were:
Second Round: 1,310,143

The census figure of "1,012,823" only covers those who openly declare themselves to be a "Muslim". It does not include everyone of "Muslim" heritage, such as people of Pakistani/Bangladeshi descent (Who I presume are the Mayor's prime voter base).The majority of Londoners, including those who live outside the "political" boundaries in the commuter belt, probably wouldn't have voted in a Pakistani mayor.

(I'm conservative or green myself. I would never vote for a Pakistani politician, but then I'd never vote for Labour unless that had a total revamp)

It's to be noted that the Pakistani performed far worse in Hindu dominated areas of London.
(edited 7 years ago)
?????????
troll
People are always going to find something to moan about aren't they?
Reply 4
You would never vote for a Pakistani politician? Why? :s-smilie:
Original post by ringitloud

(I'm conservative or green myself. I would never vote for a Pakistani politician, but then I'd never vote for Labour unless that had a total revamp)

It's to be noted that the Pakistani performed far worse in Hindu dominated areas of London.

What is the difference between Muslims voting for a politician sympathetic to their views and a Tory voter voting for a Tory politician, sympathetic to their needs?

I would never vote Tory because of what they stand for, not who they are. You're not voting for a Muslim politician simple because of his race makes you a racist. If your local Tory and Green candidates were Muslim, who would you vote for?
I think people just saw through the gutter campaign of a toff and instead voted for a self-made guy who they felt was on their team.

Great observation Sherlock.

Especially, since the Conservative Party campaign tried to play off ethnic groups against one another. Thank god it didn't work; most Londoners aren't that petty.

Original post by JamesN88
I think people just saw through the gutter campaign of a toff and instead voted for a self-made guy who they felt was on their team.

Respect.
I'm conservative or green myself. I would never vote for a Pakistani politician

I know what these words mean but not the way in which they are arranged. There are so many levels of wrong here.
I'm conservative or green myself. I would never vote for a Pakistani politician, but then I'd never vote for Labour unless that had a total revamp

You know there are people of Pakistani heritage in the Tories as well? Sajid Javid, for example.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
You would never vote for a Pakistani politician? Why? :s-smilie:

In fairness i'm not sure that i could vote for a Muslim or somebody no more than two generations removed from Russia given the current political climate and the potential for them not to stand up to said groups (though mayor of London is less important i suppose since it's less about policy and more about tax and spend).

That being said, OP is clearly a racist. I'd also note that Kahn was born in the UK and so as much as i would not vote for him myself, he deserves the same respect as any other UK citizen (in fairness to him, he does seem to be British first and Muslim second).
Original post by Buonaparte
Great observation Sherlock.

Especially, since the Conservative Party campaign tried to play off ethnic groups against one another. Thank god it didn't work; most Londoners aren't that petty.

Respect.

As a Tory myself i found his campaign a bit puzzling. Goldsmith may lack the charisma of a Boris but he's actually quite an engaging chap and is similar in views to Carswell and Hannan, hence i was actually quite pleased with his candidacy because i think a more libertarian platform is something that would attract new and younger voters (since London has a younger population, i thought it was a great chance to impress).

The problem though (and reason i was puzzled) is that throughout the campaign there was barely a shred of that libertarianism that he believes in. He seemed to run a pretty traditional and far too safe campaign (probably not helped by Linton).

All in all i think he came out worse than he went in and for somebody who should have given it a go, that's sad. Much like Cameron would have fared better had he gone with his own beliefs in a number of policy areas, i think that Goldsmith would have too.
I would never vote for a Pakistani politician

Then you're racist.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending