The Student Room Group

How to succeed in your AS levels, + explanation of new A level system

Scroll to see replies

Hi

Ive just followed this thread and think its really useful and one of the questions i want to ask is, how much freedom you get in your as levels? For example, do you get to leave school early and do you think this is wise and tell us about how to be as effective as possible on free periods.
Reply 81
Original post by sunshine774
I think you mean I'm starting yr 12? Thanks anywayx:smile:

sorry I think I must have got the wrong idea from your post- and no problem.
Reply 82
Original post by Powerdragonfire1
Hi

Ive just followed this thread and think its really useful and one of the questions i want to ask is, how much freedom you get in your as levels? For example, do you get to leave school early and do you think this is wise and tell us about how to be as effective as possible on free periods.

I go to a sixth form that is attached to a secondary school, which supposedly gives you less freedom than a college or independent sixth form. However I've never had any restrictions on myself, as in I only have to be on site for lessons, tutor periods and assemblies. I've gone home early frequently if I didn't have any lessons after lunch (I would have done this more if I lived in walking distance). However this is only my sixth form, and I can't speak for other sixth forms where rules may be very tightly enforced. You will get a general feel over the first few weeks as to how it is.
How should we do notes? Do we just revise from class notes or should you add to them from a revision guide, or even re-write them? Thanks!!
Reply 84
Original post by Do it Right
How should we do notes? Do we just revise from class notes or should you add to them from a revision guide, or even re-write them? Thanks!!

What I did was write my class notes (with title/date etc) and also do my homework in adjoining sheets, then staple it all together. Obviously if the homework is very large or will take lots of time or isn't related to the classwork, do it separately. I'd then keep these notes with my homework in my day-to-day folder for maybe 2 more lessons, then transfer to my large subject folder.

When revising, I'd revise following the specification (for example your kinetics topic) and write your notes afresh, and I'd use the revision guide and textbook to write these notes all in one condensed 'document'. You can use your class notes for extra detail whilst doing this.
Original post by richpanda
What I did was write my class notes (with title/date etc) and also do my homework in adjoining sheets, then staple it all together. Obviously if the homework is very large or will take lots of time or isn't related to the classwork, do it separately. I'd then keep these notes with my homework in my day-to-day folder for maybe 2 more lessons, then transfer to my large subject folder.

When revising, I'd revise following the specification (for example your kinetics topic) and write your notes afresh, and I'd use the revision guide and textbook to write these notes all in one condensed 'document'. You can use your class notes for extra detail whilst doing this.

Ah, that's great thanks for clarifying!

Also, at this very early stage of AS, should we be going home every night and learning everything we were taught that day? How many hours should we be doing a night :s-smilie:
Reply 86
Original post by Do it Right
Ah, that's great thanks for clarifying!

Also, at this very early stage of AS, should we be going home every night and learning everything we were taught that day? How many hours should we be doing a night :s-smilie:

Only if you don't understand it. Your teacher should be giving homework to solidify what you have learnt in class, make sure you do all your homework.

Don't feel compelled to study if you are on top of anything- go out with friends or bike ride/walk to relax. What I would say is 'learn your course', as in learn how what you studied in a lesson relates to the specification (which is everything you need to know).

I'd say over the 5 weekdays, you should be doing minimum 7/8 hours outside of lessons, and that's if you're comfortable and naturally clever.
Reply 87
bump
Only if you don't understand it. Your teacher should be giving homework to solidify what you have learnt in class, make sure you do all your homework.

Don't feel compelled to study if you are on top of anything- go out with friends or bike ride/walk to relax. What I would say is 'learn your course', as in learn how what you studied in a lesson relates to the specification (which is everything you need to know).

I'd say over the 5 weekdays, you should be doing minimum 7/8 hours outside of lessons, and that's if you're comfortable and naturally clever.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's doable.

Thanks for the advice. I officially start going through stuff today. As I started on Monday and it's just GCSE work....
Reply 89
Original post by Bulletzone
Posted from TSR Mobile

That's doable.

Thanks for the advice. I officially start going through stuff today. As I started on Monday and it's just GCSE work....

Don't stress it too much
Reply 90
Another tip: surround yourself with other academically ambitious and interesting people, and you will get a buzz off each other.
Another tip: surround yourself with other academically ambitious and interesting people, and you will get a buzz off each other.

Hi
How much would you advice people who have started AS to revise on a school night and weekends?
Thanks
Reply 92
Original post by nisha.sri
Hi
How much would you advice people who have started AS to revise on a school night and weekends?
Thanks

This is always a tricky question lol:biggrin: I genuinely can't remember how much I did last year during the september-january time period. It will vary from person to person, and school to school. I had only about 3.5 hours of each subject per week, so I got homework nearly every lesson.

A rough guide would be that you should do about 2 hours per day outside of lessons (including homework and study periods), and if you're feeling super motivated maybe do an hour of homework at school then 2 hours of extra work at home. This will make up for those day when you just want to go home and do nothing (everyone has those)
Reply 93
Remember- even if you feel like crap and are under the weather, watch a youtube video relevant to your revision and work! Yes it does actually count as (a small bit) of revision.
Reply 94
Hope AS levels are so far going well for you newbies!
@richpanda may I just say, I'm using your post as a Guide through my A-levels, like You've probably made me settle down much quicker than ever!
Thanks again for that.
Reply 96
@richpanda may I just say, I'm using your post as a Guide through my A-levels, like You've probably made me settle down much quicker than ever!
Thanks again for that.

No problem! Hope everything is going well so far, keeping up to date with homework etc? I'm guessing you're being kept nice and busy.
No problem! Hope everything is going well so far, keeping up to date with homework etc? I'm guessing you're being kept nice and busy.

Defo. I dropped Psychology for Chemistry and I'm very happy with my choice because I was able to engange very well and my timetable looks soooo much better (Probs because everything I'm doing I love).
Reply 98
Defo. I dropped Psychology for Chemistry and I'm very happy with my choice because I was able to engange very well and my timetable looks soooo much better (Probs because everything I'm doing I love).

Chemistry... great choice! I do A2 chemistry, which exam board are you?
Chemistry... great choice! I do A2 chemistry, which exam board are you?

Stupid OCR :frown: u?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest