The Student Room Group

Sixth form colleges- how much freedom?

Tomorrow is my first day at this sixth form college and I wanted to know how much freedom there is compared to a sixth form attached to a secondary school and a college?
pretty sure there is less freedom at a sixth form than at a college - a college is generally a lot more independent. For example, you may only be allowed out into the town at specific times at sixth form whereas I think rules like this are much more relaxed at a college.
I go to a sixth form college and it's great
Reply 3
Original post by surina16
pretty sure there is less freedom at a sixth form than at a college - a college is generally a lot more independent. For example, you may only be allowed out into the town at specific times at sixth form whereas I think rules like this are much more relaxed at a college.

No I am talking about a sixth form college.
A sixth form college a sixth form and a college are 3 different things.
Original post by Rajive
No I am talking about a sixth form college.
A sixth form college a sixth form and a college are 3 different things.

Oh right - sorry I had no idea that there were 3 types :biggrin:
I'd hazard a guess and basically say it is between a sixth form and a college, but they will probably have some info on the website or prospectus or something?
Reply 5
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
I go to a sixth form college and it's great

Are you allowed to leave the compound for lunch etc?
Reply 6
Oh right - sorry I had no idea that there were 3 types :biggrin:
I'd hazard a guess and basically say it is between a sixth form and a college, but they will probably have some info on the website or prospectus or something?

Nah it's cool your good. It is kind of in between and on the website t has unnecessary things for me to know except what I want to know.
Original post by Rajive
Are you allowed to leave the compound for lunch etc?

Yes. Tesco, Burger King, Pizza Hut and co-op are nearby so sometimes people will go out for lunch
Reply 8
Yes. Tesco, Burger King, Pizza Hut and co-op are nearby so sometimes people will go out for lunch

Oh right, are your lessons all day? Could you go home if your lessons finished early?

You're so lucky. The only things we have are Tesco express and a Costa :colonhash:
I went to a Sixth Form College and it was unbeatable freedom wise. The only rule was that you had to attend your lessons (ofc), but any time you didn't have a lesson you could literally do whatever you liked. Some days I would have just one lesson period 1 and go back home and chill from like 10.30am. We would always go into town if we had a couple of free periods/ lunch etc.

There were no supervised study sessions like a lot of Sixth Forms do to help you revise. This is good (freedom) and bad (requires personal motivation/ dedication). Each Sixth Form College will be different in terms of how strict they are on attending lessons/ revising in free periods, but I'm pretty sure a big pull of them is the level of freedom you get. We had no uniforms and it was just very relaxed. Was honestly fantastic, so glad I went there instead of a Sixth Form. A lot of friends went to Sixth Forms and it sounded very militaristic/ regimented - with uniforms and forced revision and having to stay inside the school. I think because you are attached to a school w/ 11-16 year olds you are likely to be treated more like a school kid, while a Sixth Form College will have only 16-18 year olds, so the teachers often show a bit more respect.

As I say, will vary institution to institution but as you can pick up from this post, my experience provided a lot of freedom. You'll have a blast. Enjoy!
Original post by Rajive
Oh right, are your lessons all day? Could you go home if your lessons finished early?

In my sixth form college there are only 2 lessons a day. Tuesdays and Wednesdays are the only days where I have one lesson in the morning so once lesson has ended I can go straight home. Though today I did stay for lunch just so I could see my friends.
However last year I did stay a few times in my free periods to do work
You're so lucky. The only things we have are Tesco express and a Costa :colonhash:

There's a costa literally inside my college so people can get drinks whenever they want without actually leaving the building :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending