The Student Room Group

Urgent Help with A level biology homework

Which word does not belong in each of the following lists and state why briefly.

1. Bacteria, viruses, fungi and antibodies (i said antibodies)
2. Respiration, photosynthesis, evaporation, metabolism. (i think its metabolism)
3. Glucose, aspirin, proteins and vitamins. (i think its aspirin)
4. Muscle, nucleus, mitochondria and plasma membrane.
5. Genetics, homeostasis, mechanics and disease.

Please help!!
1) Seems right to me
2) I would have said evaporation, both respiration and photosynthesis are metabolic processes
3) Seems correct to me, glucose, proteins and vitamins are all biological molecules we obtain from food.
4) Would be muscle I imagine, as the others are organelles/structures that make up a cells, whereas a muscle is a group of cells (tissue).
5) Not too sure on this one, would probably go with disease purely as that is caused by pathogen, whereas the other ones are homeostasis and body mechanics are all determined by our genetics.

Source:

I did A level biology, got a B, remember nothing about it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Ranadosa
Which word does not belong in each of the following lists and state why briefly.

1. Bacteria, viruses, fungi and antibodies (i said antibodies)
2. Respiration, photosynthesis, evaporation, metabolism. (i think its metabolism)
3. Glucose, aspirin, proteins and vitamins. (i think its aspirin)
4. Muscle, nucleus, mitochondria and plasma membrane.
5. Genetics, homeostasis, mechanics and disease.

Please help!!

1.) Antibodies as the rest are types of organism. An antibody is a Y shaped protein secreted by B cells that plays a huge role in the human body's immune system.

2.) I would actually say Evaporation as the rest relate to/are chemical processes. Evaporation is a physical change, a type of vaporisation.

3.) Proteins. A protein is a type of macromolecule composed of many amino acids, which are molecules. Glucose, Aspirin, and vitamins are all types of molecule.

You could argue that Glucose, Vitamins and Proteins are obtained from food. Aspirin is a drug. So Aspirin in that case.

4.) Muscle. Muscle is composed of Myosin and Actin, long chain proteins and is really unrelated to the others as the others refer to organelles/parts of cells.

5.) I assume it's 'Body Mechanics'. Less to do with Biology.

Source: Did A level Biology.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey I like how everyone is putting who the source of information is coming from. Have I started a trend now?
Reply 4
Original post by Jejibear
How on Earth is this A-level biology homework?

You could make an argument for any being the odd one out of every list, there is no objective right answer.E.g. 5 - Mechanics are the odd ones out because they are humans (with technical expertise), and the others are biological concepts. Think for yourself! Science requires imagination.

Source: Post-doc in Chemical Biology.

This was an induction day homework, so i have no idea how a level biology is going to be like.
Reply 5
Original post by _NMcC_
1.) Antibodies as the rest are types of organism. An antibody is a Y shaped protein secreted by B cells that plays a huge role in the human body's immune system.

2.) I would actually say Evaporation as the rest relate to/are chemical processes. Evaporation is a physical change, a type of vaporisation.

3.) Proteins. A protein is a type of macromolecule composed of many amino acids, which are molecules. Glucose, Aspirin, and vitamins are all types of molecule.

You could argue that Glucose, Vitamins and Proteins are obtained from food. Aspirin is a drug. So Aspirin in that case.

4.) Muscle. Muscle is composed of Myosin and Actin, long chain proteins and is really unrelated to the others as the others refer to organelles/parts of cells.

5.) I assume it's 'Body Mechanics'. Less to do with Biology.

Source: Did A level Biology.

thank you so much!
Reply 6
Original post by Khanthebrit
1) Seems right to me
2) I would have said evaporation, both respiration and photosynthesis are metabolic processes
3) Seems correct to me, glucose, proteins and vitamins are all biological molecules we obtain from food.
4) Would be muscle I imagine, as the others are organelles/structures that make up a cells, whereas a muscle is a group of cells (tissue).
5) Not too sure on this one, would probably go with disease purely as that is caused by pathogen, whereas the other ones are homeostasis and body mechanics are all determined by our genetics.

Source:

I did A level biology, got a B, remember nothing about it.

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest