The Student Room Group

long residence - student loan?

has anyone applied to student finance via the long residence criteria?
if yes how far is your application?
have you been given the loan or are they still assessing ?

thank you!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by shyam patel
has anyone applied to student finance via the long residence criteria?
if yes how far is your application?
have you been given the loan or are they still assessing ?

thank you!

Hi Shyam, I'm in this position too and I am still being assessed - a bit stressful because I'm meant to start in two weeks and have no idea what is going on. Have you applied yet?
Reply 2
Original post by SR2596
Hi Shyam, I'm in this position too and I am still being assessed - a bit stressful because I'm meant to start in two weeks and have no idea what is going on. Have you applied yet?

hey!
yes i have applied quite a while ago but they kept asking me for evidence! i mean its stupid because i had sent them school letters of my primary and secondary schools stating the dates i have studied. These dates covered the time frame they asked me to show my residency in the uk yet they still keeping asking me for evidence.
i called today and they said they have sent my application for assessing in some tier 2 processing and should get a reply by 17-19 September.
i start uni on the 26th at Leicester so i hope it gets sorted before that!
Reply 3
hey!
yes i have applied quite a while ago but they kept asking me for evidence! i mean its stupid because i had sent them school letters of my primary and secondary schools stating the dates i have studied. These dates covered the time frame they asked me to show my residency in the uk yet they still keeping asking me for evidence.
i called today and they said they have sent my application for assessing in some tier 2 processing and should get a reply by 17-19 September.

Same, sometimes they would ask for the same evidence that I had already sent in. The person I spoke to today said hopefully it should take 3 working days to process the last piece of evidence (a signature). It is annoying though because I already sent it but when I called to check if it had been received I was told it might have been lost in the mail because it wasn't received ??? but I sent it again and had to call again to check on it because they didn't text/email like they usually do to let you know that it's been received. I start the 23rd..i'm so stressed about all of this
Reply 4
Original post by SR2596
Same, sometimes they would ask for the same evidence that I had already sent in. The person I spoke to today said hopefully it should take 3 working days to process the last piece of evidence (a signature). It is annoying though because I already sent it but when I called to check if it had been received I was told it might have been lost in the mail because it wasn't received ??? but I sent it again and had to call again to check on it because they didn't text/email like they usually do to let you know that it's been received. I start the 23rd..i'm so stressed about all of this

don't worry if it passes your start date. Just inform the uni and they may adjust their payment collection as i was told unis get loan money 2 weeks into the course.
Have you been classified as "HOME" student by your uni btw ?
Reply 5
don't worry if it passes your start date. Just inform the uni and they may adjust their payment collection as i was told unis get loan money 2 weeks into the course.
Have you been classified as "HOME" student by your uni btw ?

Oh alright then and yeah on my application it says home student. When I first applied they asked me to send in a few things and complete the residence questionnaire. Have you been classified as home or international?
Reply 6
Original post by SR2596
Oh alright then and yeah on my application it says home student. When I first applied they asked me to send in a few things and complete the residence questionnaire. Have you been classified as home or international?

yep same story, after sending couple of documents to my university they changed my status from international to home

they are taking long now, scaring me out lol
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
yep same story, after sending couple of documents to my university they changed my status from international to home

they are taking long now, scaring me out lol

Hi again, so soo soooo happy to say that I have finally been approved! It was finalised a few days ago and payments are being scheduled. how is ur application going now
Reply 8
Original post by SR2596
Hi again, so soo soooo happy to say that I have finally been approved! It was finalised a few days ago and payments are being scheduled. how is ur application going now

Hey!!! Congrats!!
well, they asked me to send one final evidence to prove my residency from 2015-16.
so i sent my school letter 3 days ago.
Hopefully it gets approved and i get it, but the women i spoke to on the phone said if this letter is approved, there is nothing stopping me from getting the loan
Fingers crossed i guess!
And did they phone you to say its been approved ?
Reply 9
Hey!!! Congrats!!
well, they asked me to send one final evidence to prove my residency from 2015-16.
so i sent my school letter 3 days ago.
Hopefully it gets approved and i get it, but the women i spoke to on the phone said if this letter is approved, there is nothing stopping me from getting the loan
Fingers crossed i guess!
And did they phone you to say its been approved ?

Thank you! really hope yours is sorted out soon too, if its the last piece that you need I would say to still start because you will be approved soon. No i was told to keep an eye on my account online so i saw on there first then a few days later I got the letter in the post
Original post by SR2596
Thank you! really hope yours is sorted out soon too, if its the last piece that you need I would say to still start because you will be approved soon. No i was told to keep an eye on my account online so i saw on there first then a few days later I got the letter in the post

mine currently says not eligible as they said no when i first applied, did urs say that too?

and which university you going to study in?
(edited 7 years ago)
mine currently says not eligible as they said no when i first applied, did urs say that too?

Hey guys i applied the same as you, ive been in the uk since 2004 but the half life criteria started on 03/11/2006, i couldnt find anything for 03/11/2006 to 20/11/2006, so ive been deemed ineligible and ive had to defer :frown: so unfair
i called today and they said they will asses my application and let me know by the 18th october! why are they taking so long!!!!!!
Reply 13

Yeah at first it said not eligible then I applied for an appeal bcus i knew about the law change then they transferred my application to the long residency application so then it stayed as 'application submitted' until it was approved, October 18th is a long time to wait:confused:...if you have all the evidence they asked for and needed then you should start bcus it will be approved eventually
Original post by Shado123
Hey guys i applied the same as you, ive been in the uk since 2004 but the half life criteria started on 03/11/2006, i couldnt find anything for 03/11/2006 to 20/11/2006, so ive been deemed ineligible and ive had to defer :frown: so unfair

What do you mean by this?
Reply 15
Original post by Shado123

I am so sorry to hear that, do you have any school letters at all...i had a hard time finding documents for that yr too bcus my family we're 'sorted out' yet so we didn't have any child benefit or tax credit letters yet, managed to get a letter from my school by going and asking to confirm my attendance
Original post by teenhorrorstory
What do you mean by this?

I mean they wanted me to prove 03/11/2006 till present, as thats the cut off for living half of my life in the UK.
Original post by SR2596
I am so sorry to hear that, do you have any school letters at all...i had a hard time finding documents for that yr too bcus my family we're 'sorted out' yet so we didn't have any child benefit or tax credit letters yet, managed to get a letter from my school by going and asking to confirm my attendance

No unfortunately i didnt, i was at school before but they werent having any of it, they wanted that specific date, ive deferred and hope i can apply next year and get the student finance, but all i can do is hope. Were there any gaps in your evidence, like times when you werent at school (that isnt a summer holiday)
i called today and they said they will asses my application and let me know by the 18th october! why are they taking so long!!!!!!

Really sorry to hear that, they did the exact same with mine, are you planning on attending or deferring!
They really havent given us enough time to sort it all
hey!

DUDE! If the advisor told you he was going to do a PT2 referral, he has done the wrong thing, your application should have gone to pre-asessment, if I were you I would ring up ASAP. All residency referrals must go to pre-asesssment.

Quick Reply