The Student Room Group

Ask Peterhouse - 2017 entry

Hi TSR!

As promised, the Peterhouse Admissions Team are back for another two weeks so ask any and all questions you might have about us, our courses or the application process!

This thread will close following our Open Day on the 17th September. Maybe we'll see you there?

---

By the way, there are also TSR threads for potential applicants to engage with fellow applicants and current Cambridge students. Notably:

* The Official 2017 Cambridge Applicants Thread
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3164815
* The Official Cambridge Applicants 2018 Thread
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3528165
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi! How important would you say books are in a personal statement for Law? What are Admission Tutors looking for in Law personal statements?
Original post by Florescence
Hi! How important would you say books are in a personal statement for Law? What are Admission Tutors looking for in Law personal statements?

Hi, thanks for asking!

There's not one answer to this question. No particular weighting is applied to any particular element so I can't say books are 25% important or anything like that. In a personal statement we want to see why you want to study Law - what appeals academically to you and what have you done about this? Reading is one of the most obvious ways to answer the second part of this but remember we're more interested in quality over quantity. It is far better to throughtfully reflect on one or two books/cases/experiences than to just list dozens and dozens of things.
With reformed A-Levels, will UMS average still be used? My highest marks are in history but it's reformed and that's what I'm applying for :s-smilie:
What are history interviews like?
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
Hi, thanks for asking!

There's not one answer to this question. No particular weighting is applied to any particular element so I can't say books are 25% important or anything like that. In a personal statement we want to see why you want to study Law - what appeals academically to you and what have you done about this? Reading is one of the most obvious ways to answer the second part of this but remember we're more interested in quality over quantity. It is far better to throughtfully reflect on one or two books/cases/experiences than to just list dozens and dozens of things.

Great, thank you for clearing that up!
Original post by Rachel58
With reformed A-Levels, will UMS average still be used? My highest marks are in history but it's reformed and that's what I'm applying for :s-smilie:
What are history interviews like?

Hi, good questions and one we'd be happy to clear up.

UMS average has never been an important assessment tool - we look at UMS on a module-by-module basis. We're very experienced in assessing candidates without UMS (~40% of candidates in previous rounds haven't been taking A level and Peterhouse had been taking students for centuries before A levels were even invented, never mind UMS). We won't ask for raw scores in reformed subjects but your teachers can mention this in their reference if they like (and if you/they think its important for all your UCAS choices to see it) or they can send this in separately as part of a transcript. We're happy for schools and teachers to post us as many extra documents as they like - one of the nice things about the Cambridge admissions system is that the amount of resources and time devoted to each candidate allows us to incorporate any and all available information.

Information on 2016/17 interviews at Peterhouse can be found on our website and we'll add likely dates once we can. For History, you will have two 30-minute interviews, one with interview prep (preparing notes on a source or stimulus text for discussion in the interview). Both interviews will be academic in nature, discussing periods you've studied at A level and also asking you about things you won't have studied directly. There's also likely to be some discussion on your submitted written work and/or your written reponse in the pre-interview assessment.
Reply 6
Hi for the engineering interview will questions that we do for the interview be the things we've learnt and can be applied or will it be totally different to see what you can do from scratch?
Original post by metrize
Hi for the engineering interview will questions that we do for the interview be the things we've learnt and can be applied or will it be totally different to see what you can do from scratch?

Hi, probably a bit of both! They will be questions you can do with the knowledge you have but perhaps presented in a way you're less familiar with or where one or two steps need explaining. Remember that interviews are assessing whether you woudl flourish with our supervision-style of teaching and are meant to be as much like supervisions as possible. Try and approach them as a learning experience where the interviewers will try and teach you something rather than as an exam. Have a look at http://i-want-to-study-engineering.org/.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi, good questions and one we'd be happy to clear up.

UMS average has never been an important assessment tool - we look at UMS on a module-by-module basis. We're very experienced in assessing candidates without UMS (~40% of candidates in previous rounds haven't been taking A level and Peterhouse had been taking students for centuries before A levels were even invented, never mind UMS). We won't ask for raw scores in reformed subjects but your teachers can mention this in their reference if they like (and if you/they think its important for all your UCAS choices to see it) or they can send this in separately as part of a transcript. We're happy for schools and teachers to post us as many extra documents as they like - one of the nice things about the Cambridge admissions system is that the amount of resources and time devoted to each candidate allows us to incorporate any and all available information.

Information on 2016/17 interviews at Peterhouse can be found on our website and we'll add likely dates once we can. For History, you will have two 30-minute interviews, one with interview prep (preparing notes on a source or stimulus text for discussion in the interview). Both interviews will be academic in nature, discussing periods you've studied at A level and also asking you about things you won't have studied directly. There's also likely to be some discussion on your submitted written work and/or your written reponse in the pre-interview assessment.

Can you explain a bit what you mean by a module-by-module basis? Are there particular modules which you look for high scores in for certain subjects?
Original post by k.russell
Can you explain a bit what you mean by a module-by-module basis? Are there particular modules which you look for high scores in for certain subjects?

We look at scores for each modules individually more than the average as we know that summary statistics (by definition) don't give all the information. There are some cases where we might look at particular modules but we're generally looking for scores which indicate candidates are on track to meet or exceed the typical offer.
We look at scores for each modules individually more than the average as we know that summary statistics (by definition) don't give all the information. There are some cases where we might look at particular modules but we're generally looking for scores which indicate candidates are on track to meet or exceed the typical offer.

Do you think winning UC last year is going make Peterhouse very popular in this admissions cycle?
In general, is Peterhouse a bit of a hard one to get into because of its small size relative to how venerable/prestigious it is?
Original post by k.russell
Do you think winning UC last year is going make Peterhouse very popular in this admissions cycle?
In general, is Peterhouse a bit of a hard one to get into because of its small size relative to how venerable/prestigious it is?

We'll have to wait and see! Nobody quite knows what's going to happen with appliant numbers this year given AS reforms and the new admissions assessments.

Although our intake is small, don't forget about the Winter Pool. Over the past few years we've gone from a net importer to a net exporter in the Pool. Last year about 1 in 4 of our applicants got an offer somewhere in Cambridge, which seems pretty good to me. We're certainly not the most oversubscribed so we can't that venerable or prestigious!
Hi, for engineering do you put more emphasis on UMS from mechanics modules, or look at all Maths/Physics modules together?
Original post by james813
Hi, for engineering do you put more emphasis on UMS from mechanics modules, or look at all Maths/Physics modules together?

We look at all the modules individually. We would want to see good marks in mechanics and generally good scores across the board. Don't worry if your mechanics isn't the best of all your modules though and don't obssess too much over UMS - it isn't as important as many people believe.
Hello,I'm hoping to study linguistics next year.My AS grades were BCD - with all of them being within a couple of marks away from the grade above.Due to an ongoing illness making my attendance lower than 50% at one point, I have been predicted ABB. I also come from a underperforming sixth form.With my circumstances, would there be any way that I could be considered to study at Cambridge? And what is the most important aspect that admissions tutors are looking for in linguistics applicants?Thank you!
I am resitting year 12, with different subjects as the ones before just werent for me (keeping History which I got a B). In really worried that I will be very disadvantaged because 2 of my subjects arent facilitating and might be too weak. I am doing History Geography Politics and EnglishLangLit (combined). Do I have a good chance providing I get the grades? Im really worried. I want to study History at Cambridge
Hi. I aspire to read medicine and am currently doing my GCSEs. Would 3 grade 9s, 6A*s and an A be enough to have a good chance? Or would the A hinder my chances?
Hi, I got my AS grades and my result in English was a lot lower than expected. I got an A in History, Psychology, and Government and Politics, but only a B in English Lit. I plan to drop Psychology, and continue with English Lit as it is a facilitating subject. However, my teacher says she will still predict my an A* despite this fluke, leaving me with an A* A* A/A* prediction overall. Additionally, I took AS French in Year 10, which was a mistake, and got a D. My GCSEs are 5A*s, 4As. Is it worth applying for Law, and what are my chances if I did?
Hi there, I'm an AMES applicant for Japanese. I got 4As in RS, English Language, Maths and Chinese last year, and I'm carrying on the latter 3. I got really high UMS in maths and RS (English is reformed) but in Chinese I got 80 UMS and I'm worried it'll negatively impact my application, especially given that my degree involves an East Asian language.

In my school we're the first year to study Chinese to A level, and our teacher has never taught people our age A level, only adult classes with more than two years to prepare. Also, none of the class got above a B in the written paper which counted for 70% of the AS. Would this counteract my less than stellar AS grade or is it a case of me not doing enough? :frown:
Hey, was wondering about this:

I would like to study History, I got 4 high UMS/raw marks in my AS levels this year, however my GCSEs weren't great (6A*s, 4As at a school where that was the average). I was wondering that with the new reforms, will GCSEs be given more weight than in previous years and thus as a result, less weight on AS levels which in turn would reduce my chances of an offer?

Also, I didn't do History at GCSE even though I want to study it at uni, does this put me at a disadvantage?

Finally, what (in your opinion) is more preferable - 4 A-levels or 3 A-levels & an EPQ

Thanks for the help in advance!
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending