The Student Room Group

English lit a good third option for medicine?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Evess
yes OBVIOUSLY but if you get AAA including maths you will get in easier compared to someone with english stop bullying you are RUDE i am only 12

now you've realised you're 12, recognise the fact that you have 5 years till you even apply to uni, and you have no idea what you're talking about :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Depends on the University but I know some of them actually favour people with 'contrasting' subjects in terms of skills base, so would prefer somebody with English over somebody who'd just done the sciences and Maths.

This is a ridiculous argument though - the real answer is, take whichever one will get you the highest grade or which you like better and could tolerate for 2 years. Other than that the nature of your third subject is likely to be a relatively small factor.
Original post by Evess
ok i am sorry i did not want to ruin anyones chances

Dont worry about it, whats done is done now. At least we know if you ever apply to medicine you wont have to worry about the whole maths vs no maths debate haha x
Reply 43
Original post by Natalierm2707
Dont worry about it, whats done is done now. At least we know if you ever apply to medicine you wont have to worry about the whole maths vs no maths debate haha x

ok but i do anything because i like
Reply 44
Original post by snikerio
now you've realised you're 12, recognise the fact that you have 5 years till you even apply to uni, and you have no idea what you're talking about :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

well done trying to bully me how about you get a life
Original post by seaholme
Depends on the University but I know some of them actually favour people with 'contrasting' subjects in terms of skills base, so would prefer somebody with English over somebody who'd just done the sciences and Maths.

This is a ridiculous argument though - the real answer is, take whichever one will get you the highest grade or which you like better and could tolerate for 2 years. Other than that the nature of your third subject is likely to be a relatively small factor.

This is absolutely the correct answer to this age old question!
OP if it makes you feel any better about your decision I took English Language as my third A Level (dropped AS Maths) and it was the best decision I could have made. I've learned a lot of skills from writing essays in English and analysing so many different texts that will come in handy writing extended pieces etc. I contacted several universities when applying and they all said English Language was absolutely fine and if I'd have kept Maths it would have given me no advantage, so you'll be fine with English Literature.

Also a few of my friends did English Lit and they loved it :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Evess
ok i am sorry i did not want to ruin anyones chances

yay it's ok

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Evess
well done trying to bully me how about you get a life

sad, i thought you had understood something :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 49
Original post by snikerio
sad, i thought you had understood something :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

i do but i do not want to be insulted do i................
Original post by Sharmiin1226
at AS I've just received AAAB with three As in biology chemistry and lit and the b in maths. I'm seriously considering medicine and i can't decide if i should drop maths in favour of lit. It comes so easily to me whereas maths definitely does not.
I don't know if i should play to this advantage and go with lit which is the easy route or stick with maths chem and bio as this is the typical offer.I have all A* and A grades at gcse and I've done a tonne of voluntary work so I'm dead set on med, idk what to do

Keep lit! You've got your bio and chem so there's no reason why you shouldn't - besides if you're finding maths hard now it definitely won't get any easier going into A2. Stick with what you enjoy :smile:
Reply 51
Tell me about it. It is people like said poster mentioned that cause confusion among applicants about maths and medicine, I get so many messages with people worrying about maths and med and that they will never get in because they dont want to do maths, and when I ask why they think that it is because of misinformed friends, family, teachers and posters on the internet, often people just assume maths is needed which is fine, but it causes so much madness.

Fact trumps opinon here, and lets be honest if you followed said posters advice and were not as strong at maths like OP and ended up with AAB because of maths instead of the AAA you would have got with english language, your chance of med become much slimmer.

What a levels did you do?
The essay skills I picked up from English Lit were invaluable for me with all the redrafting and it needing to be so specific. So if you have any written work for the course then having done English would really benefit you there. Didn't take maths so can't speak for that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 53
Original post by Evess
i am being personally victimised and picked on by you STOP now, maths is BETTER

Original post by Evess
yes OBVIOUSLY but if you get AAA including maths you will get in easier compared to someone with english stop bullying you are RUDE i am only 12

I can see why you would perceive it this way, but medical schools have very objective and clear application systems.
If they state "two science subjects", then that is all they expect, and they are not able to discriminate on the choice of third subject.
The level of maths that I have needed so far in my medical degree is fairly low actually, but there is a lot of reading and some essay writing. Hence, they are both moderately useful subjects, but not essential :smile:
So although it could appear like maths is 'better', this genuinely isn't the case- and it's a good point to clear up with potential applicants. However, this may change by the time you come to apply (if you do choose to), so it's best to look at individual medical school entry requirements :smile:
Original post by Rajive
What a levels did you do?

Bio, chem and geog at A2, maths AS. For me the essay writing skills i gained from geography were so much more valuable than maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did bio, chem and lit, and was accepted for medicine.

Supposedly, an understanding of humanities, not to mention the essay writing and critical thinking skills the field encourages, has the potential to create more empathic doctors (a key theme at present in medical admissions).

Primarily, I would do what you enjoy, what provides confidence, and what you feel you can achieve most in. As long as you believe you can score well on pre-admissions tests, I would favour the humanities route.
Reply 56
Original post by Evess
UCL is liberal leftist university so obviously they would

Well that's great because I want to study there too.
Reply 57
Original post by Evess
i do but i do not want to be insulted do i................

If you're only twelve your not going to be that well informed on this topic. You haven't even done GCSEs let alone a levels. So stick to your lane. Focus on your work and stop trying to confuse people with incorrect information. Why would you a twelve year old be correct over people like Natalierm2707 who is a medical student already.

OP. English lit is perfectly fine. Especially if you can get a much better grade in it than maths. Do what you enjoy seeing as you're already doing biology and chemistry. It shows you have a different side to you making you stand out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
This is absolutely the correct answer to this age old question!

Thank you so much for clearing all of this up, it's been such a help and a relief to hear that lit is totally fine, I was so unsure but now i feel a lot more confident:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending