The Student Room Group

Do universities view maths and further maths too similarly?

I just recently finished my AS's with four subjects and I'm looking to drop one in order to free up some time so I can get A*AA grades next year after A2.
I'm currently picking between further maths and music, with an intent on studying maths at university after a levels.
Now initially I'd been adamant about carrying on fm as I enjoy my maths a lot more than my music and do tonnes outside of school, and I also feel it'd be more useful for studying maths at university.
HOWEVER, my school is advising I drop further maths on the basis of two things:
Firstly they're saying it'd be safer for me to continue music (Less resits, I did also achieve a slightly higher grade compared to my fm)
However the thing that is worrying me is that they warned me that some universities are apparently very funny with maths and further maths being two seperate a levels, and often viewing them as essentially "a single a level" even though non of the content overlaps.

So really I'm asking how true is this? Is it worth phoning up universities I'm interested in and asking if this is the case?
Original post by Oiivers
I just recently finished my AS's with four subjects and I'm looking to drop one in order to free up some time so I can get A*AA grades next year after A2.
I'm currently picking between further maths and music, with an intent on studying maths at university after a levels.
Now initially I'd been adamant about carrying on fm as I enjoy my maths a lot more than my music and do tonnes outside of school, and I also feel it'd be more useful for studying maths at university.
Firstly they're saying it'd be safer for me to continue music (Less resits, I did also achieve a slightly higher grade compared to my fm)
However the thing that is worrying me is that they warned me that some universities are apparently very funny with maths and further maths being two seperate a levels, and often viewing them as essentially "a single a level" even though non of the content overlaps.

So really I'm asking how true is this? Is it worth phoning up universities I'm interested in and asking if this is the case?

What are you planning on taking at university?
Original post by Oiivers

Your school is totally wrong and most universities requiring those grades for Maths either prefer or insist on Further Maths. Check the entry requirement for Durham, Imperial, Warwick and Bath and they all prefer Maths and Further Maths.

There is also the Further Maths Support Programme to support Further Maths and if your school want further correct advice refer them to Exeter Mathematics School whose curriculum is Maths, Further Maths and a further subject usually Physics or Computer Studies. They have 5 going to Oxbridge this year with others going to the likes of Warwick and Exeter for Maths, Physics, Computer Studies or Engineering.
It is shocking your school has given you this advice which is totally contrary to what the major Maths schools want
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Oiivers

If you are intending to study mathematics - as you say - (or for that matter a physical science) at university, then you are being badly advised by your school. Many good universities for maths will require (or highly recommend) further maths - music would not even be on the radar regarding their priorities.

I understand that medics won't count maths and further maths as two separate sciences, but that has no bearing here. They are two separate A-levels and the priority A-levels for good university mathematics departments. (I say this as someone working in a university maths department.)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Jheez, thank you so much for your replies that puts me a lot at ease. My school probably wants me to carry on music instead of fm because they know my capability as a performer and think I'll do better in music.

Just for my own peace of mind, are there any universities you know of at all that do see the two as too similar at all?
If you want to do maths or a maths related subject at uni then both a levels would be required. However if you wanted to do a not maths related subject then they would likely be viewed as a single a level for uni (whats the point in 2 a levels in the same subject if your not even taking that subject right). So basically if you pick to do further maths then you are committing to doing a maths related subject at uni whereas as if you don't pick it then you are limiting your chances of doing maths at uni. so its whatever you wanna do really.
DON'T listen to your school. Further Mathematics A Level will never be looked down upon when applying for Maths - instead it should give you an advantage, and the top unis require/highly recommend it.

Yes, for some other courses such as medicine, Maths + FM aren't always viewed as separate subjects, but for Maths they definitely will be.
Your school are morons and are trying to give you advice typically given to students of other disciplines.

There is categorically no university, no scenario where Music will help you more in a Maths application than Further Maths will.
Original post by Oiivers

If you want to do a maths degree you should definitely do further maths. The only cases I know of where further maths is looked on poorly are if you are applying for medicine at certain universities or for certain courses at LSE. For maths, further maths is desirable at all universities and almost obligatory for some (although they can't require it to A2, as not all schools offer it).

Quick Reply

Latest