The Student Room Group

Is a B acceptable at as level?

I'm looking to apply for History at Cambridge but I only got a B at as-level (Three marks from an A). Do I still stand a chance at being offered an interview?
I got A's in all my other subjects and I'm predicted an A* for next year in History if that makes a difference.
Original post by JessicaKrahn
I'm looking to apply for History at Cambridge but I only got a B at as-level (Three marks from an A). Do I still stand a chance at being offered an interview?
I got A's in all my other subjects and I'm predicted an A* for next year in History if that makes a difference.

It's difficult to say. How high were the A grades in your other subjects and do you think Cambridge considers an A* prediction realistic for a B grade at AS? I mean, you might as well apply, it's only 20% of your options and there's only around 4/5 applicants per place.
Reply 2
A* prediction from a B at AS? may I ask, what sort of school do you attend?
Reply 3
A friend of mine got an interview for English at Cambridge with AABB. I'd say it's worth a shot, so long as you have some other safer options too :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
It's difficult to say. How high were the A grades in your other subjects and do you think Cambridge considers an A* prediction realistic for a B grade at AS? I mean, you might as well apply, it's only 20% of your options and there's only around 4/5 applicants per place.

The A grades were pretty high, in one of my exams i only dropped 4 marks. My teachers are pretty strict so I don't think they would of predicted me the grade if they didn't think I could achieve so hopefully that would come across to them in my references? idk. Yeah that's true i suppose.
Original post by Yua

If OP was doing really good (As and 90%+) then the person doing the reference can explain the slight downfall in the actual exam to justify the prediction.
Reply 6

Here's what the PAT said to someone asking the same question today:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=67426430&postcount=26

(yes you still stand a chance)

:smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Yua

History was my best subject last year and I relaxed on revision towards the end which is why i missed out on the A. My school's pretty strict, but they think that I'm capable because of the work i produced last year.
(edited 7 years ago)
The A grades were pretty high, in one of my exams i only dropped 4 marks. My teachers are pretty strict so I don't think they would of predicted me the grade if they didn't think I could achieve so hopefully that would come across to them in my references? idk. Yeah that's true i suppose.

If they were pretty high, how come you didn't get A* predictions in other subjects? Do you mean they were solid A grades rather than being high enough for an A* prediction?
Reply 9
Original post by Ezme39
A friend of mine got an interview for English at Cambridge with AABB. I'd say it's worth a shot, so long as you have some other safer options too :smile:

Okay phew, thank you
If they were pretty high, how come you didn't get A* predictions in other subjects? Do you mean they were solid A grades rather than being high enough for an A* prediction?

I didn't say my predicted grades for my other subjects ahaha. I'm not sure what my other predicted grades are as I haven't spoken to my teachers yet, I was most concerned with History as that's the one I want to study next year.
Reply 11
History was my best subject last year and I relaxed on revision towards the end which is why i missed out on the A. My school's pretty strict, but they think that I'm capable because of the work i produced last year.

you didn't answer the question
Original post by jneill
Here's what the PAT said to someone asking the same question today:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=67426430&postcount=26

(yes you still stand a chance)

:smile:

Ah, thank you so much.
Original post by Yua
you didn't answer the question

It's a sixth form college (Woodhouse).

It's only 3 applicants per offer.

Kind of surprising - that's not even competitive.
Original post by macromicro
It's only 3 applicants per offer.

Kind of surprising - that's not even competitive.

It's not the most exciting subject tbh...
It's not the most exciting subject tbh...

ahahah, easy now. It's a great subject. I think a lot of people are put off by it's position in league tables. I mean, i nearly didn't apply because of a B so...
ahahah, easy now. It's a great subject. I think a lot of people are put off by it's position in league tables. I mean, i nearly didn't apply because of a B so...

Haha, I remember doing Tudors for GCSE history and wanting to jump out the window.

Quick Reply

Latest