The Student Room Group

Can't picture us together

I'm gonna ask a girl out, I wish I didn't constantly think about her but I do and will until I say something to her, and I need to do it soon, within the next 2 months. It's been a while since we spoke and she ticks so many boxes for me, but she hangs around with different people and I can't see us together. I can be confident and I intend to be, but in my mind I'm just not the kind of special guy, I can make her laugh and that but I'm not that tall or attractive, just honesty. But I'm gonna do it anyway, no matter what the answer. Say if I was an outsider looking at us, I just couldn't see it, I just hope she doesn't feel that way. Is this a kind of common thing?
I don't know if I'm strange in thinking this, like I have to come across as the real me to impress in a short stage of time instead of a shy one. Thank you.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I'm gonna ask a girl out, I wish I didn't constantly think about her but I do and will until I say something to her, and I need to do it soon, within the next 2 months. It's been a while since we spoke and she ticks so many boxes for me, but she hangs around with different people and I can't see us together. I can be confident and I intend to be, but in my mind I'm just not the kind of special guy, I can make her laugh and that but I'm not that tall or attractive, just honesty. But I'm gonna do it anyway, no matter what the answer. Say if I was an outsider looking at us, I just couldn't see it, I just hope she doesn't feel that way. Is this a kind of common thing?
I don't know if I'm strange in thinking this, like I have to come across as the real me to impress in a short stage of time instead of a shy one. Thank you.

Speak to her a bit, maybe ask her out after a few more conversations and see what happens. Don't undermine your own confidence, even if you think it may be justified it's not going to do you any favours.

As for how you feel about not seeming to fit right together.. I dunno. Interesting, that.
Reply 2
Original post by SeanFM
Speak to her a bit, maybe ask her out after a few more conversations and see what happens. Don't undermine your own confidence, even if you think it may be justified it's not going to do you any favours.

As for how you feel about not seeming to fit right together.. I dunno. Interesting, that.

Will aim to do just that but I have to hope I see her around more this year, if not its just gonna have to be one conversation and then straight in. I suppose I'll have to reintroduce myself after all this time as I don't really have a reason to speak to her from her perspective.

As for that it's just I suppose she's been with different people in the past, but from what I hear and experience speaking to her in the past we have quite a bit in common. She hangs around with confident people so confidence is the way to go. Will just be interesting to see if she wants a relationship, but I owe myself that feeling of elation if she says yeah
Original post by Anonymous
Will aim to do just that but I have to hope I see her around more this year, if not its just gonna have to be one conversation and then straight in. I suppose I'll have to reintroduce myself after all this time as I don't really have a reason to speak to her from her perspective.

As for that it's just I suppose she's been with different people in the past, but from what I hear and experience speaking to her in the past we have quite a bit in common. She hangs around with confident people so confidence is the way to go. Will just be interesting to see if she wants a relationship, but I owe myself that feeling of elation if she says yeah

Not easy I know, especially if you have nowhere where you regularly bump into her and she is alone.

:dontknow: you may be overthinking things, you may not be.
Reply 4
Original post by SeanFM
Not easy I know, especially if you have nowhere where you regularly bump into her and she is alone.

:dontknow: you may be overthinking things, you may not be.

Just got to find the opportunity and take it.

And yeah I suppose I am but I'm just being realistic.
Sometimes the best relationships happen when you least expect it, don't think too much of it, if she ticks your boxes ask her out.
Reply 6
Original post by Foo.mp3
Steady on there speedy Gonzalez! :mmm:

Aye, vast majority of us have felt that way about some girl or other in our lives, but it's usually just a phase

Maybe the real you is a bit shy right now, and maybe that's ok? :smile:

Haha, just a guideline would love to get it done next week but can never be too sure about seeing her.

Always good to hear mate, I think that it's just her that makes me feel kinda shy and puts me in a shell, and I know I need to be the opposite cause she's confident. I can talk easily to loads of attractive girls but with her it's different, kind of a pressure not to screw things up, which leads to be not really doing anything. But I've just gotta go for it now. I'm either gonna feel really good or really relieved and a bit upset but I'd take either over how I'm feeling now. Hate that I've been caught in this tangled web of liking a girl who I don't know as well as I'd like. :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by Magical_lyrical
Sometimes the best relationships happen when you least expect it, don't think too much of it, if she ticks your boxes ask her out.

Thanks! Will do, always nice to hear. Just hope she feels the same way
Reply 8
Original post by Foo.mp3
We've all been there. You know you're overthinking, and also probably putting her on a pedestal, so think less, breathe more, take your time, put the onus more on her e.g. to convince you you're right about her ('qualifying':wink:, etc. Attitude of mind is key

That's the spirit, too many guys get caught up and remain in an exhausting/somewhat depressive state of limbo-bimbo a la approach anxiety/fear of rejection. Better just to get it over with either way! :horse:

Of course. First ever experience of asking a girl out, so I've questioned absolutely everything about myself, should have done it a while ago, but can't disagree with you at all.
And yeah I've gotta make sure she is who she is in my mind. Gonna spend first week back in college getting a feel for the timetable and if I don't see her, I'll just have to go up to her and have a conversation and ask her.

Finally got the right mentality towards it now, actually very much looking forward to it rather than fearing it. Nervous naturally, but excited for the answer either way. Think it would be tougher for me to hide happiness if she said yes, than it would be to hide disappointment at a no.
Reply 9
Original post by Foo.mp3
You know you don't have to ask, as such, right? :holmes:

Why hide our emotions either way? What's the worst that could happen? Once we have good self-worth and are feeling ok within ourselves we're unperturbed by the flash judgements of others :smile:

Of course, suggestions are a good way "Let's go out for a coffee sometime" rather than a "Would you go out with me for coffee sometime?" if it's going well that's the route I'll go 100%.

Just don't wanna get excited tooooo soon if that's the way it goes.

You seem to have a wealth of knowledge Foo, one more question if you don't mind answering, how should I approach her after a year without speaking? I don't whether to be like an old friend or what. I normally just act like an old friend with people I haven't spoken to for a while but me and her were never that close from the outset, just knew each other cause of school.
Reply 10
dude you only live once! whats the worst that could happen- she says no! so what! people get rejected everyday and everyone experiences it at some time of another so don't worry about it! just go for it, stop thinking about it so much and hope for the best1 and if she says no well fine, it will stop you thinking about her all the time and you can move on and find a girl more worthy who you might actually be able to go out with- but for now just go for it! stop overthinking it just do it !!!!
Original post by Foo.mp3
Great, although I'd just say that unless you're full of confidence, they are too, both mature, and there's clearly chemistry, I would err on the side of caution regarding talking about "going out" i.e. "Let's grab a coffee some time" + "Let me get your numer / Ok, what's your number"

Could say I have some experience in this area, aye (related thread)

Congruence is key. Always be authentic. I'd aim to start reasonably high energy (smiles, clear voice, tonality that communicates positive vibes) and then quickly dial it down to match hers, ftw :smile:

Yeah that's all cool, cheers mate.

I get you, sounds fair enough. Just don't know whether to be "Hey, been a while", it's only awkward cause we never like really good friends, we just were in the same lessons and had a few chats here and there. Once I get off on the right foot and give off positive vibes like you say it'll be absolutely fine from there, just the approach has kinda put me off in the past cause I don't wanna mess up, but it'll change when I'm back in college.
Original post by may_1
dude you only live once! whats the worst that could happen- she says no! so what! people get rejected everyday and everyone experiences it at some time of another so don't worry about it! just go for it, stop thinking about it so much and hope for the best1 and if she says no well fine, it will stop you thinking about her all the time and you can move on and find a girl more worthy who you might actually be able to go out with- but for now just go for it! stop overthinking it just do it !!!!

Cheers mate, you've honestly just channelled all my thoughts and my mentality. Whatever she says I'm happy, I'm not going in with glorious expectations anyway and I'd rather be rejected and take the confidence of actually going for something in my life than her moving off to uni somewhere and meeting some guy without me saying anything. The only thing I wanna do is get an approach right so I never regret it in the future. And there's plenty more girls out there, I just know that there's one nearby who's my exact type so I gotta go for it while I can.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Once I get off on the right foot and give off positive vibes like you say it'll be absolutely fine from there
Just do it mate, all about attitude (unless she has a bad one, in which case you've dodged a bullet). If you say that to her with the right energy, tonality, engaging body language, clarity and composure, she'll follow your lead, girls almost always do :smile:

Thanks for all the help again man, it's just getting into that position now, she's always with friends, it's all about getting her alone, doing it, asking her and clearing my head. Looking forward to it.
She poops and farts like every other girl in the world, there is absolutely nothing special about her, your mind is just making you think there is, stop caring so much, plus, I'd advise you to not **** where you eat if this isn't just a part time job.
Original post by Foo.mp3
At your service, TSR :top2:

Glad to hear it. All power to you :yy:

Hate to bring it back up, I wish I wasn't doing but there is absolutely nothing more I want than to ask her out. Over the last few days I've seen her a couple of times from afar, but she's either on her phone or in a big group of her friends. I feel like she's there, but so far away. I just wanna let her know how I feel but cause it's been so long since we spoke I feel awkward. I know I need to do it, and if I see her alone I will, I've already tried before the summer, but I was sidetracked by a friend I hadn't seen for ages but there's always a barrier.

Cannot wait to get talking and get this done but my head is all over the place again. I see people in relationships and that is exactly what I want, but only with her right now.
Original post by Foo.mp3
So.. go over to her and ask "you got a minute?" (cool as a cucumber) :cool:

Of course, got other ideas just in case, I may see her on the bus, and that's ready made conversation, a couple chats on there and asking for a date and I'm golden.
Well if you win her over then there's nothing to worry about!
You can make her laugh which is a good thing! So that's a good start!
Just get to know her a lot and maybe start to get a bit flirty with her!
Then when you feel ready, ask her out!
Don't hesitate, just do it!

Good luck! Hope it goes well for you!
Original post by FireFreezer77
Well if you win her over then there's nothing to worry about!
You can make her laugh which is a good thing! So that's a good start!
Just get to know her a lot and maybe start to get a bit flirty with her!
Then when you feel ready, ask her out!
Don't hesitate, just do it!

Good luck! Hope it goes well for you!

You know when you have a nap and you have one of those great dreams where you wake up and are generally disappointed? I dreamt I was in a lesson, and I walked in confident and had a laugh with her. And I know that I can do it in real life, so it's motivating. Except the not in lessons part. It's just engaging in conversation with her, that's meaningful and funny and we're both flirty people so it'll work. It's just whether that can happen on a fleeting talk in a packed college or on a bus at half 7 in the morning.

I know what I can do, and thank you for reassuring me. I have plans and I can't let her go off to uni without at least letting her know how I feel.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending