The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Really disappointed with Cambridge

Today I have received an email, which tells me that I will be adding an additional condition to my offer, which is the condition to the language test.

That condtion appears suddenly to my offer.
I sent an language waive letter to Cambridge when I was applying to it.
In my previous conditional offer, there wasn't the language test condition.
However, Cambridge said I must complete this condition, by the reason of the new policy.

If I saw this conditon in my offer when I received it, I would withdraw it and choose Oxford.
How could they do like that? Adding an condition when it is close to the deadline.

Scroll to see replies

Are you sure it's a new condition, and not something you didn't notice earlier?
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Is there any reason to think you would fail the language condition?

Presumably they can change it at any time before accepted and you met the criteria? Did you accpet beforehand?

If you feel its unfair then complain.

Was it a change in general policy for all students or did they attach it specifically to you becayse they had concerns?
Reply 3
Original post by zongzhe
Today I have received an email, which tells me that I will be adding an additional condition to my offer, which is the condition to the language test.

However, Cambridge said I must complete this condition, by the reason of the new policy.

If I saw this conditon in my offer when I received it, I would withdraw it and choose Oxford.
How could they do like that? Adding an condition when it is close to the deadline.

You need to go back to them and query why your language waiver letter is now being rejected, when it had previously been accepted. It may just be an admin error, but you won't know unless you ask them directly.
Reply 4
Original post by Klix88
You need to go back to them and query why your language waiver letter is now being rejected, when it had previously been accepted. It may just be an admin error, but you won't know unless you ask them directly.

They said, it's their fault, but I must complete the test, due to the new policy.
I called the graduation admission, they express their useless apologize, and said I must do it as a result.
Original post by zongzhe
They said, it's their fault, but I must complete the test, due to the new policy.
I called the graduation admission, they express their useless apologize, and said I must do it as a result.

So the policy is for all students in your situation and its not specifically just because they have concerns about you?

Does the langauge test present a difficult barrier for you?
Reply 6
Original post by zongzhe

That's very annoying indeed. However you clearly aren't going to get in without it, so book the test as soon as possible.

You don't effectively have a contract with the uni until you enrol, so they can vary their entry requirements at any point before then if they choose to.
Original post by zongzhe

You cannot be offered a place at both Oxford and Cambridge as you are not able to apply to both (at least at undergrad level). Of course you could have applied to one over the other. However, if we are honest if you are going to be studying a course at a British university in England, and English speaking country you should have no problem speaking english or writing etc at all - particularly considering the competition for places at Cambridge.
Original post by bobb99998
You cannot be offered a place at both Oxford and Cambridge as you are not able to apply to both (at least at undergrad level). Of course you could have applied to one over the other. However, if we are honest if you are going to be studying a course at a British university in England, and English speaking country you should have no problem speaking english or writing etc at all - particularly considering the competition for places at Cambridge.

This is the postgrad forum.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose

Then my last point still holds. Courses are held in english not foreign languages
Then my last point still holds. Courses are held in english not foreign languages

But your first doesn't, which is the point I made.
Reply 11
:biggrin:
But your first doesn't, which is the point I made.

exactly
Original post by zongzhe

Your last line. "How could they do like that?" That is really poor English. Nobody who was a native English speaker would say that. I'm sorry, but I suspect your English language skills are being brought into question.
Seems like you can try arguing the case with Cambridge over the legality of changing an offer once made, or you can get on and do the test. Life lesson - people move goalposts. From your written English it doesn't seem like you'll have any problems passing the test.

Are you applying for an undergraduate or postgraduate course?

As an example for a Chinese graduate applicant Cambridge says "Based solely on your nationality, a language requirement will be set; please see below. However, you may be eligble for a waiver or assesment depending on your most recent degree." It doesn't look like Cambridge has recently changed any policies. Good luck!
Original post by zongzhe

If this is your level of English, then you do need to do an English language test before starting postgraduate study.
Reply 16
Original post by 999tigger
So the policy is for all students in your situation and its not specifically just because they have concerns about you?

Does the langauge test present a difficult barrier for you?

They should tell me and put it in my condtion in April, not now.
The condition is added to my offer yesterday, but the deadline to meet all condition is 16th, and I need time to apply for my visa as well
Reply 17

Yes, I am a postgraduate student.
Reply 18

They should put it as a condition in my offer in April, then I would have some time to prepare for it.
But they added it yesterday.
Reply 19
Original post by Duncan2012
Seems like you can try arguing the case with Cambridge over the legality of changing an offer once made, or you can get on and do the test. Life lesson - people move goalposts. From your written English it doesn't seem like you'll have any problems passing the test.

Are you applying for an undergraduate or postgraduate course?

As an example for a Chinese graduate applicant Cambridge says "Based solely on your nationality, a language requirement will be set; please see below. However, you may be eligble for a waiver or assesment depending on your most recent degree." It doesn't look like Cambridge has recently changed any policies. Good luck!

Thanks for your reply.
I know the Chinese student should have an English Test.
However, because I studied 2 years in UK, I sent a language waive letter to them, and at first they said yes.
It is just the yesterday that they sent me an email, notified that I should have the language test.
Yes, the alternative way to do this is the Cambridge Language Test, however it would still take me weeks to get the result. As an international student, I must apply Visa, which need around one week or more time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending