The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Official imperial college london 2017 applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by victoria98
I'm pretty sure you still have to put your grades on UCAS even if they don't count to your overall grade (if they've been reformed). And they look at both - they have to verify that your predicted grades are reasonable. You can't realistically be predicted higher than one grade up unless it's something like maths (or some other subject that hasn't been reformed) and you're retaking + it's justified by a teacher. With AAB you could get an A*A*A prediction. I was predicted A*A*AA and got an A*A*A offer but it was for chemistry not biochem. From what I've seen many people got A*AA offers for biochem and a few got AAA offers this year. It does seem that many people got in with a missed offer this year though (I missed mine by a grade). Give it a shot! You've got 5 choices, you won't be 'wasting' one by applying to Imperial. I'm not sure if they interview for biochemistry - that'll be on their website somewhere.

Thank for replying.
When I was filling up my choices on UCAS only imperial didn't show that I might have been asked for an interview. Does that mean they won't interview me for Biochem for imperial? Or there's still a possibility? Also my AS biology result was just hit the boundary of B grade. But usually I got an A for my biology in my school for every assessment. Is it realistical to be predicted as an A? If we upload our AS grades on UCAS, does it show the percentage or UMS or only the grades?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by Doris Tai
I just received my AS results in mid August.
I've heard that some of the schools didn't do the as exams in this June due to the A level reform.
But do those who didn't do the as just use their predicted grades to apply for uni?
Also, does imperial look more about your predicted grades or actual AS grades?
Because I didn't do well on AS
For real AS I got:
Maths A
Chemistry A
Biology B
Physics (still in the process of remark)
And I'm hoping for the predicted grades will be A*AA
Do any of you think there's a chance for me to get the offer from imperial?
Btw the requirement for biochemistry on he website shows AAA.
Can any 2015/2016 applicants who got the offer for biochemistry tell me their requirement for A level from the past?

I think it's worth at least applying because you're very close to the offer. You have five options you can put down and unless there's another university you would want to replace Imperial there's no harm in it. Most people I know chose one university they could easily get in as an insurance, two or three they met the requirements for with their AS and predictions and then one or two ambitious choices they didn't quite meet the requirements for. If you go to a poorly preforming school or college that will really help you with your application as well. Try to write a really good personal statement and get good references and I think you have a chance.

I'm a Biology student now and one of my friends had a B in her AS results when she applied (I believe it was for Chemistry?) and she still got her offer, so it's definitely not hopeless! Biochemistry is one of the less popular options at Imperial so they tend to be a bit nicer with admissions than other courses (hence why the offer is AAA rather than the usual A*AA/A*A*A offer they give out). If you were close to an A in Biology then I would put your unit marks down so they can see that, but if you weren't then leave it off for all of your subjects.
Thank for replying.
When I was filling up my choices on UCAS only imperial didn't show that I might have been asked for an interview. Does that mean they won't interview me for Biochem for imperial? Or there's still a possibility? Also my AS biology result was just hit the boundary of B grade. But usually I got an A for my biology in my school for every assessment. Is it realistical to be predicted as an A? If we upload our AS grades on UCAS, does it show the percentage or UMS or only the grades?

It does actually say that they usually don't interview for biochemistry on their website. I'm guessing that means it's a less popular course - which is a good thing because your offer wouldn't be ridiculously high. You don't have to put your UMS scores on your UCAS application unless you want to so all they'll see is that you got a B. With a B you can easily be predicted an A. And if your B doesn't even count towards your overall grade then I'm sure you can get an A/A* with hard work.

It's definitely worth a shot, good luck! :biggrin:
Original post by Firefly13
I think it's worth at least applying because you're very close to the offer. You have five options you can put down and unless there's another university you would want to replace Imperial there's no harm in it. Most people I know chose one university they could easily get in as an insurance, two or three they met the requirements for with their AS and predictions and then one or two ambitious choices they didn't quite meet the requirements for. If you go to a poorly preforming school or college that will really help you with your application as well. Try to write a really good personal statement and get good references and I think you have a chance.

I'm a Biology student now and one of my friends had a B in her AS results when she applied (I believe it was for Chemistry?) and she still got her offer, so it's definitely not hopeless! Biochemistry is one of the less popular options at Imperial so they tend to be a bit nicer with admissions than other courses (hence why the offer is AAA rather than the usual A*AA/A*A*A offer they give out). If you were close to an A in Biology then I would put your unit marks down so they can see that, but if you weren't then leave it off for all of your subjects.

Thanks for your suggestion and info.
So if I don't put the unit mark down, will they still ask the exam board for unit mark?
Original post by victoria98
It does actually say that they usually don't interview for biochemistry on their website. I'm guessing that means it's a less popular course - which is a good thing because your offer wouldn't be ridiculously high. You don't have to put your UMS scores on your UCAS application unless you want to so all they'll see is that you got a B. With a B you can easily be predicted an A. And if your B doesn't even count towards your overall grade then I'm sure you can get an A/A* with hard work.

It's definitely worth a shot, good luck! :biggrin:

Thank you very much.
So does it normally show on website whether there's an interview for that course or not. Is it always right or they might still ask for interview?
Thanks for your suggestion and info.
So if I don't put the unit mark down, will they still ask the exam board for unit mark?

As far as I know they can't find out the unit mark unless you give it to them :smile:
Intended Subject: Medical Bioscience with Management
GCSE: 6A*, 2A, 2B
Predicted A2: A*A*A*A (Maths, Further Maths, Bio, Chem)
(insurance for medicine)

Anyone know if the offer is usually higher than the one shown in their website (AAA)?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by betweenalaska
Intended Subject: Medical Bioscience with Management
GCSE: 6A*, 2A, 2B
Predicted A2: A*A*A*A (Maths, Further Maths, Bio, Chem)
Extra-Curricular (inc. outside school): 2 summer schools, including one at Imperial, volunteer for a year, work shadowing in hospital (cause this is my insurance for medicine)

Anyone know if the offer is usually higher than the one shown in their website (AAA)?

Idk about your specific course but Imperial are notorious for giving offers (much) higher than the 'minimum' requirements. Wouldn't be surprised if you got an A*AAA or even an A*A*AA offer
Original post by TheRandomGenius
Idk about your specific course but Imperial are notorious for giving offers (much) higher than the 'minimum' requirements. Wouldn't be surprised if you got an A*AAA or even an A*A*AA offer

A*AAA will be fine but A*A*AA will definitely not be... It seriously doesn't look like an insurance at all with such high offers...
Original post by betweenalaska
A*AAA will be fine but A*A*AA will definitely not be... It seriously doesn't look like an insurance at all with such high offers...

You're going to insurance Imperial?!?! Oxbridge applicant?
Original post by TheRandomGenius
You're going to insurance Imperial?!?! Oxbridge applicant?

nah... Cause imma applying to med schools and I wanted to get to a good uni if a can't get any med offers...
So lads, I think it's safe to say it's going to be a sausage party at Imperial once again....
Original post by badalyan98
Medical Bioscience with Management

GCSE: 7A*, 2A, C in PE LOL

AS Level: Maths- A(91UMS), Chemistry- A(86UMS), Bio- A(87UMS), Economics- A(93UMS)

A-Level Predicted: A*A*A*A*

Dunno if the course is right, as I want to continue with pharmacology professionally, so if anyone has any information about what graduates do please tell me :smile:

Its a new course that only thats this year so there is no information but the job prospects should be the same as other biomedical degrees.
However,with thia imperial degree you wont be able to work in a NHS hospital :frown:.
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
So lads, I think it's safe to say it's going to be a sausage party at Imperial once again....

Did you expect anything less? Hahaha.
Original post by NeverLucky
Did you expect anything less? Hahaha.

I have my fingers crossed for more gender balance :smile:
Original post by GradeA*UnderA

Medicine is about 50-50. Most of my friends were female too (I'm a boy :tongue:). :smile:
Sooooo what's the ratio for material science?:wink:
Original post by ertzgrand
Sooooo what's the ratio for material science?:wink:

Going to assume it's vastly male...
What else could it be
Reply 99
Hi guys, I have heard in previous years that biomed a imperial requires the BMAT. However, for 2017 entry I noticed BMAT was not mentioned. Can anyone confirm this please?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending