The Student Room Group

How important is university prestige?

Scroll to see replies

Here's how I would rank them. This is for general reputation and prestige, not for their prestige in specific subjects; that would change the rankings depending on what you're studying. All of the universities within the separate tiers are of equal prestige, I haven't put them in order.

Cambridge
Oxford
-------------------------
LSE
UCL
Imperial
St Andrews
Durham
KCL
Bristol
Leeds
Manchester
Warwick
Newcastle
Nottingham
Edinburgh
Glasgow
Exeter
Birmingham
York
Southampton
Sheffield
QMUL
Cardiff
Liverpool
QUB
Original post by Abstract_Prism
Here's how I would rank them. This is for general reputation and prestige, not for their prestige in specific subjects; that would change the rankings depending on what you're studying. All of the universities within the separate tiers are of equal prestige, I haven't put them in order.

Cambridge
Oxford
LSE
UCL
Imperial
St Andrews
Durham
KCL
Bristol
Leeds
Manchester
Warwick
Newcastle
Nottingham
Edinburgh
Glasgow
Exeter
Birmingham
York
Southampton
Sheffield
QMUL
Cardiff
Liverpool
QUB

I think you forgot Bath - they are high in most lists at the mo.

I would suggest Bristol and Warwick should be in your third group, along with Bath.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I think you forgot Bath - they are high in most lists at the mo.

I would suggest Bristol and Warwick should be in your third group, along with Bath.
Just asking questions out of curiousity, no fight intended.

Is Bath>Manchester ? Is Bath>Nottingham?

I get that Bath is a good uni but why would you put them above these unis for general prestige?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Dynamic_Vicz

Is Bath>Manchester ? Is Bath>Nottingham?

I get that Bath is a good uni but why would you put them above these unis for general prestige?

I think Manchester is probably above Bath and Bath is probably above Nottingham.

I know this, because I read it in my coffee grounds this morning. :lol:
I think Manchester is probably above Bath and Bath is probably above Nottingham.

:lol: that is an reliable source alright :smile:
Original post by Dynamic_Vicz
:lol: that is an reliable source alright :smile:

It carries more weight than most threads on TSR on this topic do. :yep:
It carries more weight than most threads on TSR on this topic do. :yep:

Hehe I can't disagree with that. I think more people should turn to coffee grounds to get their queries answered.

I was initially triggered before I reread and saw you hadn't put them in order. Imperial below UCL and LSE made me want to fall over lol.

Also, somehow Manchester is ranked 6th in the country for reputation on the newest edition of QS world rankings. I wasn't expecting that tbh

But if you had drunk Nescafe it would have told you that Sheffield Hallam was best.

http://www.nestlecareers.co.uk/academy/content/school-leavers/
Original post by nulli tertius
But if you had drunk Nescafe it would have told you that Sheffield Hallam was best.

http://www.nestlecareers.co.uk/academy/content/school-leavers/

Lulz.

Actually, according to the BBC (seen last night on the local TV channel), London Met is a 'leading university', so that's the official view.
Original post by tinyflame
So would prestige matter if you go from a uni that is like 50 in the league tables to a uni that is like in the top 10/20? Because that is exactly my situation right now, I am already studying at university of Hull, but I've got a chance to go to university of Nottingham, but I feel comfortable and at home at Hull and I feel reluctant to move.

But I just feel that I can't waste this "chance" to go to the best university possible?

If you feel comfortable and happy there I'd stay, personally. It's only worth considering a transfer if it's a post-1992 uni (unless you haven't started yet, in which case ****ing go for it).

Russell Groups aren't the be all and end all, and it's not really worth going to one if you end up unhappy like I did - I'm glad I went to my uni but I personally found it socially isolating and competetive to the point where it was a bit silly.
(edited 7 years ago)
Matters for what?

Professionally what matters most are the skills you have learnt and how you have been able to apply them.

I guess going to an elite university is good for bragging rights. Nobody cares that much though. *
True, but I think when/if I have children and they reach the age where they should think about aiming to go to a particular university, assuming things are pretty much as are now, I would be pushing much harder for them to aim for Oxbridge than I would for them to aim for Warwick. In fact, I would put everything into pushing for them to aim for Oxbridge.

I know it's been a long time since you made the post, but I was wondering what in particular about Oxbridge makes you want to push your children into going there? What if they would prefer to study at Warwick? There are some courses for which Warwick is very good... :smile:
Original post by biglad2k16
I know it's been a long time since you made the post, but I was wondering what in particular about Oxbridge makes you want to push your children into going there? What if they would prefer to study at Warwick? There are some courses for which Warwick is very good... :smile:

All of the information I have about the way our society is structured, tied in with the international rep of Oxbridge, leads me to conclude that they would have significantly better life prospects (to lead the life they want to) with an Oxbridge education behind them. It's not just about degree quality - but about lots of less tangible things. I'm certainly not dissing Warwick, just reflecting on the way I see it. I wish it wasn't structured in quite such an elitist way.
All of the information I have about the way our society is structured, tied in with the international rep of Oxbridge, leads me to conclude that they would have significantly better life prospects (to lead the life they want to) with an Oxbridge education behind them. It's not just about degree quality - but about lots of less tangible things. I'm certainly not dissing Warwick, just reflecting on the way I see it. I wish it wasn't structured in quite such an elitist way.

I guess that is true. Especially politics seems to be dominated by Oxbridge graduates, and some consulting, media, law jobs.

Cambridge
Oxford
LSE
UCL
Imperial
St Andrews
Durham
KCL
Bristol
Leeds
Manchester
Warwick
Newcastle
Nottingham
Edinburgh
Glasgow
Exeter
Birmingham
York
Southampton
Sheffield
QMUL
Cardiff
Liverpool
QUB

Wtf? Birmingham is easily in the same league as Leeds/Manchester/Newcastle/Glasgow (if not, higher).
Original post by MaskOfKeaton
If you feel comfortable and happy there I'd stay, personally. It's only worth considering a transfer if it's a post-1992 uni (unless you haven't started yet, in which case ****ing go for it).

Russell Groups aren't the be all and end all, and it's not really worth going to one if you end up unhappy like I did - I'm glad I went to my uni but I personally found it socially isolating and competetive to the point where it was a bit silly.

Why did you find it socially isolating and competitive?

I really like Hull, but it feels too small a place to stay at for 4 years?

I've already accepted my offer and my accommodation for Nottingham, but I just feel scared about whether I will regret leaving a place I'm already comfortable at.

It's sort of "too late" to change things now, but what do you think, is it still wise to maybe change my mind and cancel things at this point?

I really feel that Nottingham is too good of an opportunity for me to waste?

Cambridge
Oxford
LSE
UCL
Imperial
St Andrews
Durham
KCL
Bristol
Leeds
Manchester
Warwick
Newcastle
Nottingham
Edinburgh
Glasgow
Exeter
Birmingham
York
Southampton
Sheffield
QMUL
Cardiff
Liverpool
QUB

If we talk about overall global rep I think Edinburgh(tier leader) Manchester Warwick Kings and Bristol are Tier 3 And Durham/St. Andrews are the tier 4 leaders.
I guess you can network with a certain type of person that may benefit you in some way or another (Trying not to sound too snobby) but to me at the end of the day a degree is a degree...This is why I am going to Manchester Met lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending