The Student Room Group

I'm always feeling the urge to drop everything and just go

It's not like my life sucks, I'm actually a cheery, easy going guy. Turned 20 a month ago, chose to not go Uni a year ago (studied art in college) since I have no idea what to do and will just end up dropping out wasting money and time, got a few jobs along the way currently out of one but hold another where I invigilate exams, good pay. But I have always felt the need to literally pack up some things and go off somewhere. It's killing me inside cause I can't get the thought out. I've never worried about career aspirations or whether I'd end up successful in that aspect, never really had any idea on what career I would aspire too TBH.

Anyway, have any of you felt this before? The urge to simply drop whatever you have going for you and travel, become a nomad or whatever. I literally day-dream constantly of living up North roaming, carrying the necessities and a couple sentimental things like my guitar. I know a lifestyle like that isn't glamorous but I still believe it's worth going for it. I'm hungry for it for some reason and I've felt this for a long time, it's just gotten stronger after I left college a year ago.

What do you guys think? Don't know if this is the right place to post or not.
(edited 7 years ago)
Runaway by Galantis came to mind when I read your thread title
Reply 2
Original post by Pinkberry_y
Runaway by Galantis came to mind when I read your thread title

Good tune
Reply 3
Original post by Rohan187
It's not like my life sucks, I'm actually a cheery, easy going guy. Turned 20 a month ago, chose to not go Uni a year ago (studied art in college) since I have no idea what to do and will just end up dropping out wasting money and time, got a few jobs along the way currently out of one but hold another where I invigilate exams, good pay. But I have always felt the need to literally pack up some things and go off somewhere. It's killing me inside cause I can't get the thought out. I've never worried about career aspirations or whether I'd end up successful in that aspect, never really had any idea on what career I would aspire too TBH.

Anyway, have any of you felt this before? The urge to simply drop whatever you have going for you and travel, become a nomad or whatever. I literally day-dream constantly of living up North roaming, carrying the necessities and a couple sentimental things like my guitar. I know a lifestyle like that isn't glamorous but I still believe it's worth going for it. I'm hungry for it for some reason and I've felt this for a long time, it's just gotten stronger after I left college a year ago.

What do you guys think? Don't know if this is the right place to post or not.

A lot of people go through phases such as these from time to time
Reply 4
Original post by IYGB
A lot of people go through phases such as these from time to time

Kinda thought it was a phase but dude, I honestly remember feeling the same since I hit my early teens, not like this though. It's probably because I have a lot of time on my hands so I can't stop thinking. But still, that idea of a "nomadic" lifestyle or something similar is insanely comforting to me. I keep thinking it's irrational to follow it though.
Reply 5
Original post by Rohan187
Kinda thought it was a phase but dude, I honestly remember feeling the same since I hit my early teens, not like this though. It's probably because I have a lot of time on my hands so I can't stop thinking. But still, that idea of a "nomadic" lifestyle or something similar is insanely comforting to me. I keep thinking it's irrational to follow it though.

Speak to your GP about counselling?
Reply 6
Original post by IYGB
Speak to your GP about counselling?

They'll probably assume I'm suffering with depression or something which I don't believe I have. Honestly, I am in no way depressed, I've learned to accept any position I'm at or will be at simply by believing it was an act of destiny, can't change it and it was destined to happen. I really don't know what this is. Wanderlust possibly, I just wanted to see if anyone kind of had the same feeling and whether they decided to run off or ignore it. I would really love to but it's irresponsible, but at the same time, I feel like it's worth the risk. Meh, probably thinking too much, must be one of those days.
Reply 7
Your 20 years old and you will never get this time back, do these things while you can and have nothing to loose. You need this type of experience, go out and do it now or you will regret it later in life.
I've actually done that, and still feel the urge to do it nowadays, except I am already at university, which sadly has brought more distress than joy, at least for the past year.

Earliest time I can recall was when I was 8. I went with my grandparents hiking after I recovered from meningoencephalitis (essentially dodged death) wanting to die, so I estranged myself from them. They found me after 2 days again, thanks to the village hounds.

I did something similar when I was 17, except I knew my destination. I couldn't stand dealing with some issues that I remember boiling 5 eggs, packing some ham sandwiches, 2 bottles of water and plenty of apples, some clothes and soap and I just ****ed off, to my mother's despair.
I had little to any money, so I couldn't afford any transport, so I just walked. I ended up walking 40kms until my mother traced me after 2 days. 10 more and I would have reached my grandparents, which was my intention. They lived a pretty recluse and tranquil lifestyle. Modest, but it had all I needed at the time (even now, I'd argue).

Something of the sort happened last year too. One night my anxiety was so overwhelming that I packed a suitcase and took a nightbus up to nottingham (the last stop). I've only been in that city once, so I had little idea about the place whatsoever, but there was something in that that was reassuring; kind of "losing myself in my surroundings", if you can call it that way. One of my old friends actually found me there, roaming around and drove me back after 2 days.

I still feel this compulsion every now and then, but I'm just trying to act more mature with my life and all that I'm facing. There's also a "living anchor" that's keeping me still now, so I guess I wouldn't consider an escapade alone now, if I needed to disconnect with the world
Reply 9
I was pretty aimless and wanderlust-y when I was your age. I'd say just do it. Pack up a bag, get on a coach to a new town and sign on with an agency to work. Stop in a hostel or campsite until you find a room. Try life in a new city for a bit, and see what happens.

The only thing I will ask is that you let your family and friends know you are OK.
The modern lifestyle sucks for most of us (work, work, boring work) so that's understandable. Have you considered joining the army or something? Like a paratrooper maybe? idk :s-smilie:
Reply 11
Original post by SamuelUK
Your 20 years old and you will never get this time back, do these things while you can and have nothing to loose. You need this type of experience, go out and do it now or you will regret it later in life.

That's essentially what I'm thinking.

Original post by LaMandarine
I've actually done that, and still feel the urge to do it nowadays, except I am already at university, which sadly has brought more distress than joy, at least for the past year.

Earliest time I can recall was when I was 8. I went with my grandparents hiking after I recovered from meningoencephalitis (essentially dodged death) wanting to die, so I estranged myself from them. They found me after 2 days again, thanks to the village hounds.

I did something similar when I was 17, except I knew my destination. I couldn't stand dealing with some issues that I remember boiling 5 eggs, packing some ham sandwiches, 2 bottles of water and plenty of apples, some clothes and soap and I just ****ed off, to my mother's despair.
I had little to any money, so I couldn't afford any transport, so I just walked. I ended up walking 40kms until my mother traced me after 2 days. 10 more and I would have reached my grandparents, which was my intention. They lived a pretty recluse and tranquil lifestyle. Modest, but it had all I needed at the time (even now, I'd argue).

Something of the sort happened last year too. One night my anxiety was so overwhelming that I packed a suitcase and took a nightbus up to nottingham (the last stop). I've only been in that city once, so I had little idea about the place whatsoever, but there was something in that that was reassuring; kind of "losing myself in my surroundings", if you can call it that way. One of my old friends actually found me there, roaming around and drove me back after 2 days.

I still feel this compulsion every now and then, but I'm just trying to act more mature with my life and all that I'm facing. There's also a "living anchor" that's keeping me still now, so I guess I wouldn't consider an escapade alone now, if I needed to disconnect with the world

Woah, you lived a very adventurous life so far.

Original post by HFBS
I was pretty aimless and wanderlust-y when I was your age. I'd say just do it. Pack up a bag, get on a coach to a new town and sign on with an agency to work. Stop in a hostel or campsite until you find a room. Try life in a new city for a bit, and see what happens.

The only thing I will ask is that you let your family and friends know you are OK.

Was planning to save up with whatever I have and ride up north, Scotland, Norway, Wales, Iceland, wouldn't mind that much since I love the North. Right now I just need to make sure that my parents are on the same page with me. My mother is very anxious about me wandering however my father would probably push me to go further. I've been dropping hints and told them plainly a couple times. Thanks, got me back in the mood of definitely planning this thing out.

Original post by cbreef
The modern lifestyle sucks for most of us (work, work, boring work) so that's understandable. Have you considered joining the army or something? Like a paratrooper maybe? idk :s-smilie:

Had it in the back of my mind, a buddy of mine signed up and I think he's being sent in Libya soon. Some part of me wants to serve however another part is hesitant.
Reply 12
Does anyone know a great place to start? Although I love the Northern countries, I don't mind exploring. In terms of earning money, I might improve my music and try busking before leaving anywhere. Any places you guys went that's too amazing?

Quick Reply

Latest