The Student Room Group

investment banking summer internship q&a

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gr8wizard10
just completed and converted my summer internship into a ft position.

if anyone has any questions, i'd be happy to answer

Does it matter which degree you have and what uni you go to?? thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by LifeIsFine
And the one before you started uni?
Did you have connections already?

Was through a sixth form work experience/networking scheme run in London, iirc. One of: rare/seo/city-link/intouni

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LifeIsFine
And the one before you started uni?
Did you have connections already?

no, assisted through the brokerage citylink programme

Original post by Ze Witcher
Does it matter which degree you have and what uni you go to?? thanks in advance :smile:

degree, not particulrly

uni moreso yes

that being said the majority of people had finance/economics backgrounds
no, assisted through the brokerage citylink programme

degree, not particulrly

uni moreso yes

that being said the majority of people had finance/economics backgrounds

Thanks for answering!

I've already seen the Target Uni's in the UK for IB but was wondering in your honest opinion what sorts of Uni's were IB firms, mainly yours, were focused on.
Thanks for answering!

I've already seen the Target Uni's in the UK for IB but was wondering in your honest opinion what sorts of Uni's were IB firms, mainly yours, were focused on.

They would be interested (read: put the most resources into) in the 'target unis in the UK' as you put it..

+ european targets.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for answering!

oxbridge
had 3, one before i started uni

:O How do I get one of these?
Original post by Abstract_Prism
:O How do I get one of these?

brokerage citilink
Reply 88
debt or equity, and why?
Original post by makrxx
debt or equity, and why?

depends on a number of things...

what are you trying to achieve? (LBO/capital raising/new issuance)
what is your credit rating profile?
what are your ratios i.e interest coverage / leverage / netdebt/EBITDA
have you any outstanding debt covenants that will be breached?
what's your company beta (which affects CAPM factoring into the cost of debt)?
what's your debt maturity profile?
what's the dividends payout ratio in your industry?
where is your company in the industry lifecycle? growth/mature blah blah blah..
what's the market conditions like for the two types of product (receptive, apprehensive?)

if the answer was clear cut, there would only be one option... a combinantion of the two would probably work best but again.. you have to ask some preliminary questions for an answer that would yield some good advice.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 90
depends on a number of things...

what are you trying to achieve? (LBO/capital raising/new issuance)
what is your credit rating profile?
what are your ratios i.e interest coverage / leverage / netdebt/EBITDA
have you any outstanding debt covenants that will be breached?
what's your company beta (which affects CAPM factoring into the cost of debt)?
what's your debt maturity profile?
what's the dividends payout ratio in your industry?
where is your company in the industry lifecycle? growth/mature blah blah blah..
what's the market conditions like for the two types of product (receptive, apprehensive?)

if the answer was clear cut, there would only be one option... a combinantion of the two would probably work best but again.. you have to ask some preliminary questions for an answer that would yield some good advice.

my bad, meant to ask what is your preference personally or which do you prefer working in/with, debt or equity

(are these the sort of questions/knowledge we should know too in interviews?)
Original post by makrxx
my bad, meant to ask what is your preference personally or which do you prefer working in/with, debt or equity

(are these the sort of questions/knowledge we should know too in interviews?)

haha, don't really have a preference, but if i had to choose probably debt
I'm applying for Equity Research, is there more/tougher competition for the IBD compared to research and S&T? Also did you find that they allocated more places for IBD to adjust to the popularity in applications?
Original post by Dante991
I'm applying for Equity Research, is there more/tougher competition for the IBD compared to research and S&T? Also did you find that they allocated more places for IBD to adjust to the popularity in applications?

i haven't a clue man.. everything is pretty competitive, i don't think it would matter as to how much more competitive given the stats are already quite unfavourable

no, banks aren't a charity, they will only allocate based on business needs
Reply 94
Anyone know whats going on with Barclays App? Is there somewhere you upload a CV or CL in initial stages? Ive somehow submitted but not provided my CV or anything really.
Original post by Hobes1
Anyone know whats going on with Barclays App? Is there somewhere you upload a CV or CL in initial stages? Ive somehow submitted but not provided my CV or anything really.

Read the summer thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hobes1

Also:
http://joinus.barclays.com/emea/application-and-selection/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey peeps,
I'm a student at Warwick University and I'm getting paid by a company to headhunt for students who are smart, to put it bluntly.
If you think you go to a good university and have a good CV, you'll most likely get a few interviews.
Some of the companies you will be headhunted for are:
-The Big 4
-Baillie Gifford
-Schroders
-Reckitt Benckiser
-M&G Investments
-L-3 TRL
If you're interested to get internship/graduate placement, or to generally kick start your career, drop me a message for any questions you may have regarding it.
If you're feeling particularly brave and you are confident with yourself/your university's stature, sign up http://bit.ly/2aaPEXVwith the referral code: WAR MARA.
I get paid when you sign up and you get a job (as long as you're at a decent uni) so I think thats a win-win.

Cheers, and happy hunting!
Original post by Moddapukka
Hey peeps,
I'm a student at Warwick University and I'm getting paid by a company to headhunt for students who are smart, to put it bluntly.
If you think you go to a good university and have a good CV, you'll most likely get a few interviews.
-The Big 4
-Baillie Gifford
-Schroders
-Reckitt Benckiser
-M&G Investments
-L-3 TRL
If you're interested to get internship/graduate placement, or to generally kick start your career, drop me a message for any questions you may have regarding it.
If you're feeling particularly brave and you are confident with yourself/your university's stature, sign up http://bit.ly/2aaPEXVwith the referral code: WAR MARA.
I get paid when you sign up and you get a job (as long as you're at a decent uni) so I think thats a win-win.

no
Original post by Moddapukka
Hey peeps,
-The Big 4
-Baillie Gifford
-Schroders
-Reckitt Benckiser
-M&G Investments
-L-3 TRL

If its not Goldman Stanley im not interested

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending