The Student Room Group

Should I cut contact with this girl?

We'd known each other over half a year and I'd say our friendship is at a good casual level, because I met her when she came back to my Uni to a six-week postgrad degree and ever since she finished that our contact has been restricted to just voice notes on WhatsApp.

What bugs me is that in recent months it's taken her days to reply back to my messages (it even took her a month to reply the last message I sent her and she's apologised for that and said a lot of stuff went down during the month and "forgot" to get back to me). I understand she's got a full-time job with a business and that can leave a person with not much free time to play with and I've been busy myself with temp jobs before going back to Uni and generally trying to keep myself busy to avoid being stressed out by things like this but I know she's a bit active on snapchat and a month seems way too long in terms of texting someone back. Is it worth keeping in contact with her? Or do I just accept it as a hardship of adulthood and keep things going? Hope to get some constructive opinions on this :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
We'd known each other over half a year and I'd say our friendship is at a good casual level, because I met her when she came back to my Uni to a six-week postgrad degree and ever since she finished that our contact has been restricted to just voice notes on WhatsApp.

What bugs me is that in recent months it's taken her days to reply back to my messages (it even took her a month to reply the last message I sent her and she's apologised for that and said a lot of stuff went down during the month and "forgot" to get back to me). I understand she's got a full-time job with a business and that can leave a person with not much free time to play with and I've been busy myself with temp jobs before going back to Uni and generally trying to keep myself busy to avoid being stressed out by things like this but I know she's a bit active on snapchat and a month seems way too long in terms of texting someone back. Is it worth keeping in contact with her? Or do I just accept it as a hardship of adulthood and keep things going? Hope to get some constructive opinions on this :smile:

Maybe that was a particularly difficult month and she didn't really want to talk to anyone for a bit, but if she's always very slow with replies then don't pin your hopes on her. You don't have to cut her off completely, but I wouldn't expect much from her either. It's up to you if you want to keep talking to her, but if you're expecting more than she's giving you then it might be easier
I was in a similar situation quite recently and since it took her a week to reply every time I messaged her I decided to stop bothering myself and leave the initiative to her. If she writes to me then I'll keep going, if not then adieu. And since she didn't I just gave up on it and moved on. I don't regret it in the slightest.
Reply 3
ring the person or meet up with them (dont text), towards the end tell them they always seem to be busy so instead of bothering them at busy times, tell them to call you when they're free. With this you're switching the situation and you'll get to see the true intentions (if they want to keep in touch or not)
Reply 4
Original post by chelseadagg3r
Maybe that was a particularly difficult month and she didn't really want to talk to anyone for a bit, but if she's always very slow with replies then don't pin your hopes on her. You don't have to cut her off completely, but I wouldn't expect much from her either. It's up to you if you want to keep talking to her, but if you're expecting more than she's giving you then it might be easier

Well I've learned not to expect a worldie of a reply in terms of replying instantly or even on the same day and ive just been going with the flow so if she takes days to reply I'll do the same . In some ways it makes the pressure of replying to a person after every minute less
Reply 5
Original post by skkrrr
ring the person or meet up with them (dont text), towards the end tell them they always seem to be busy so instead of bothering them at busy times, tell them to call you when they're free. With this you're switching the situation and you'll get to see the true intentions (if they want to keep in touch or not)

That sounds like a good idea, will try and arrange something with her and mention it. Afterwards the ball will fully be in her court
Short answer is yes.

The long answer however would have to be carefully contemplated on for a full two seconds before coming to the immediate conclusion that it is just a very long winded and obviously trolling way of just repeating the former answer as it is also the latter answer which corresponds to the long answer which is yes.
It doesn't sound to me as though she really wants to be friends. I mean if I was friends with someone, I wouldn't take that long to reply. It doesn't take that long to reply.
Reply 8
Think of it like this.

Imagine your text scenario being played out in real life.

You're there...you say hi.

She's in front of you ...and you both wait a month...just standing there ...then she replies.

I find it rude imo, if she can't find 5 minutes to reply then she isn't worth spending your time on.

There's 7 Billion+ people - meet some new ones!
Reply 9
If you're just casual friends then there's no reason for her to prioritise you.
I go months without talking to some friends and think nothing of it.

Does she ever message you first or is it always you waiting on her? If it's that one sided, she probably isn't interested in keeping the friendship going and so you should stop putting in the effort.
Reply 10
That sounds like a good idea, will try and arrange something with her and mention it. Afterwards the ball will fully be in her court

Do tell us how it goes, also one other thing when you text the person what do you usually say? (open questions or closed questions). I'm asking this because sometimes people ask me stuff that i dont even know how to reply to so i wait till the next day or longer to figure out a reply.
Original post by sh9
If you're just casual friends then there's no reason for her to prioritise you.
I go months without talking to some friends and think nothing of it.

Does she ever message you first or is it always you waiting on her? If it's that one sided, she probably isn't interested in keeping the friendship going and so you should stop putting in the effort.

There was a period of a few months where we didnt speak and then she messaged me out of the blue asking for my number so that we could chat on Whatsapp, because it had been a while and Facebook was giving her troubles. She invited me to her birthday dinner but I couldnt go because of work ironically.
Original post by Tiger Rag
It doesn't sound to me as though she really wants to be friends. I mean if I was friends with someone, I wouldn't take that long to reply. It doesn't take that long to reply.

Yeah it is ridiculous tbh, she isnt the only one to do this recently. My mate from Sixth Form took a week to get back to me and restart a convo but he's a bit socially awkward and has only done this once so I give him the benefit of the doubt
Original post by Results
Think of it like this.

Imagine your text scenario being played out in real life.

You're there...you say hi.

She's in front of you ...and you both wait a month...just standing there ...then she replies.

I find it rude imo, if she can't find 5 minutes to reply then she isn't worth spending your time on.

There's 7 Billion+ people - meet some new ones!

Yeah she doesnt seem to be serious, even with a full time job people are always on their phones during breaks or the first instance they finish work. It doesnt affect me on a large scale emotionally I just want to know what other people would do in my position
Reply 14
There was a period of a few months where we didnt speak and then she messaged me out of the blue asking for my number so that we could chat on Whatsapp, because it had been a while and Facebook was giving her troubles. She invited me to her birthday dinner but I couldnt go because of work ironically.

I had a friend like this. They were my favourite friend. Someone who had so much charisma and depth and I really adored speaking to them.
I knew them for over 4 years and our friendship was based on being super close for some time and then completely drifting and not speaking for months. Then we'd reconnect for a day at the most, like..an evening where they'd randomly message me about scrolling through our old messages/how long it's been. It'd mean so much to me to hear from them, but we just weren't in that zone of speaking to each other every day as we weren't in each others lives.
Then it'd be anything from 6 months to a year until the next time.

We ended up getting super close last summer, talking all day every day until the beginning of this year. Sadly our friendship turned toxic and I cut this person off.

So as for your situation, I totally get you. I don't think you necessarily need to cut contact, perhaps you just aren't in each others lives the way you'd like to be. You have to find your place in her world and if she doesn't let you in, then you just gotta leave it and occupy yourself with other friends.

Also, some people are just like that..it's okay for them to not talk frequently as they don't get attached, which is what I'm like and the reason I was able to drop that person and leave their life, though I'd never ignore/take weeks/months to reply to someone's message.
Original post by sh9
I had a friend like this. They were my favourite friend. Someone who had so much charisma and depth and I really adored speaking to them.
I knew them for over 4 years and our friendship was based on being super close for some time and then completely drifting and not speaking for months. Then we'd reconnect for a day at the most, like..an evening where they'd randomly message me about scrolling through our old messages/how long it's been. It'd mean so much to me to hear from them, but we just weren't in that zone of speaking to each other every day as we weren't in each others lives.
Then it'd be anything from 6 months to a year until the next time.

We ended up getting super close last summer, talking all day every day until the beginning of this year. Sadly our friendship turned toxic and I cut this person off.

So as for your situation, I totally get you. I don't think you necessarily need to cut contact, perhaps you just aren't in each others lives the way you'd like to be. You have to find your place in her world and if she doesn't let you in, then you just gotta leave it and occupy yourself with other friends.

Also, some people are just like that..it's okay for them to not talk frequently as they don't get attached, which is what I'm like and the reason I was able to drop that person and leave their life, though I'd never ignore/take weeks/months to reply to someone's message.

Seems as though you had a rollercoaster of a friendship with this person. I probably wouldve been gutted if I was in your shoes and had a really meaningful friendship that was always disrupted by something, sadly it's always the best things that end up not lasting. Sorry it ended the way it did :frown:

Like I told another person in this thread, I'll try meet up with her before going back to Uni and make sure she's the one with a decision to make. I have a feeling I wont be regretting my future actions though.
Original post by skkrrr
Do tell us how it goes, also one other thing when you text the person what do you usually say? (open questions or closed questions). I'm asking this because sometimes people ask me stuff that i dont even know how to reply to so i wait till the next day or longer to figure out a reply.

So I've asked her to meet up with me this coming Saturday and surprise surprise, she said Saturday she might be a bit busy for her but she'll let me know, it was last Thursday when I asked her and its now Wednesday and she hasnt got back to me on it yet :frown:

Recently its been questions like how did the work at the business summit go? How was her birthday dinner (she invited me to it but I couldnt go because of work)? And general small talk on those topics.
Reply 17
So I've asked her to meet up with me this coming Saturday and surprise surprise, she said Saturday she might be a bit busy for her but she'll let me know, it was last Thursday when I asked her and its now Wednesday and she hasnt got back to me on it yet :frown:

Recently its been questions like how did the work at the business summit go? How was her birthday dinner (she invited me to it but I couldnt go because of work)? And general small talk on those topics.

idk man but as i said above just do that "you seem busy so you tell me when you want to meet up" thing over text instead, in my opinion she doesnt care
Original post by skkrrr
idk man but as i said above just do that "you seem busy so you tell me when you want to meet up" thing over text instead, in my opinion she doesnt care

skrrrrr!!
I get dug into for not replying back after 20 mins O__O

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending