The Student Room Group

Pokemon GO! Official Thread - now officially released in the UK!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tomtjl
I stopped playing it for a couple of weeks around 2 weeks ago, just starting playing again yesterday and I'm enjoying it still :smile:.

Yeah I might get one of those, you never know :smile:
Original post by _missjade
Anyone else Team Instinct :smile:

Team Instinct For Lyfe!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yep I'm Team Instinct too. Been quite good recently as a lot of gyms near me have been taken over by Team Instinct.
Guys, am I the only one who chose Instinct because one of the two following reasons:

1. Was the least popular team and so wanted a challenge.
2. The copious amounts of water pokemon in gyms will be easy to beat?
Original post by Scienceisgood
Guys, am I the only one who chose Instinct because one of the two following reasons:

1. Was the least popular team and so wanted a challenge.
2. The copious amounts of water pokemon in gyms will be easy to beat?

1. Probably just you
2. Not sure how relevant?

I picked Instinct just because I wanted a Zapdos (in case team was in any way linked to legendary birds).
Original post by Zerforax
On Snorlax - http://www.pokemongodb.net/2016/05/snorlax.html
This has Body Slam as having a higher DPS? I do think Snorlax with any combination of moves is strong enough really.

I think the fact that pokemon only have one fast move and one charge move really hurts duel-type pokemon. In the normal games, the 4 moves gave you enough scope to take advantage of duel types but with Pokemon Go, I feel like if you are picking a pokemon based on type then you just need to take the full benefit by focusing on one type to give you STAB and type advantage. So if I'm using Gyarados to take out a fire type, what use is bite to me? Especially considering how many speed moves you'd click during a battle.

I think you are better to use Exeggutor as an out and out pyschic type? Although not many fighting or poison types around so perhaps don't need to? Maybe Venusaur is a better option where you can have two grass attacks with vine whip/solar beam to tackle water types? I guess the only reason I was learning more towards the electric types is since they don't have the weakness to ice attacks and a lot of water types do often have ice attacks.

I guess if legendary pokemon are released then Zapdos is the one you really want where thunder shock/thunder will be a brutal combination along with Zapdos' attack stats.

Anyway it's all a bit fanciful since I'll probably never get around to assembling this team :colondollar:

After a bit of research, I've found a few sources all saying different things with regards to DPS. Could be HB/BS/Cross Chop at the top, but other lists I've seen have Blizzard/Solarbeam at the top. Eh, **** knows, I guess.

The issue with electric types is that they suck though. Exeggutor is one of the strongest Pokemon in the game (top 5/10) and it's the only grass Pokemon there, whereas there isn't an electric Pokemon in the top 20 really. This is because most electric Pokemon rely on their speed stat in the main games, and this is essentially redundant in POGO (hence Jolteon's uselessness - it has one of the highest speed stats in the games, making it very useful but here it has nearly no effect).

There's no reason why you won't make this team, I've got all of the Pokemon mentioned in your first post. It just takes a damn long time!

Also caught a 2150CP Exeggutor earlier today and it had Solarbeam as its 2nd move and had 71% IVs, was pretty damn happy :biggrin:.
Same here but I wouldn't mind an aerodactyl too...
Right now have a load of 2k eggs to hatch and I am planning on walking the long walk tomorrow in Windsor... Hopefully no rain...

So, hoping for a few starters (specifically squirtle and Charmander because I haven't seen a Charmander and all the squirtles I have have really crap IVs...)

Am going back to Bristol on Monday and would like to see what's there. =)
Want some Gastlies really badly... They seem to run away from me all the time. Hell, I have a better chance of catching an Abra than a Gastly...

Did manage to catch a 605CP Machop yesterday. Has good IVs but not sure if I should evolve it or wait?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Screenshot_2016-09-06-23-01-18.png
You should visit London some time =P
Original post by _missjade
Anyone else Team Instinct :smile:

Team instinct!!!!!!

Only level 18, rocking a Dragonite though.
Original post by tomtjl
After a bit of research, I've found a few sources all saying different things with regards to DPS. Could be HB/BS/Cross Chop at the top, but other lists I've seen have Blizzard/Solarbeam at the top. Eh, **** knows, I guess.

The issue with electric types is that they suck though. Exeggutor is one of the strongest Pokemon in the game (top 5/10) and it's the only grass Pokemon there, whereas there isn't an electric Pokemon in the top 20 really. This is because most electric Pokemon rely on their speed stat in the main games, and this is essentially redundant in POGO (hence Jolteon's uselessness - it has one of the highest speed stats in the games, making it very useful but here it has nearly no effect).

There's no reason why you won't make this team, I've got all of the Pokemon mentioned in your first post. It just takes a damn long time!

Also caught a 2150CP Exeggutor earlier today and it had Solarbeam as its 2nd move and had 71% IVs, was pretty damn happy :biggrin:.

Yea I guess no one has fully worked out what is the best. I guess you have to factor in the damage it does, the time it takes to do that damage, the charge time etc?

I guess from my view point, I want half of those: Dragonite/Snorlax/Arcanine/Exeggutor as strong pokemon which you put into gyms
And the others: Electric or grass?/Vaporeon/Lapras/Machamp as those you use in gym battles for type advantage and STAB to take down those which are typically put into gyms.

Maybe I'll go for a Venusaur which is pretty strong and can have both grass attacks.. although you go back to having weakness to certain water types which have ice or psychic moves.. I'll have a think about it :colondollar:

Haha time to wander is the one thing I don't have!
Original post by Hōseki
Screenshot_2016-09-06-23-01-18.png
You should visit London some time =P

390 charmander candy and a Charizard! :eek:

I've still yet to see or hatch a single charmander.. :frown:
390 charmander candy and a Charizard! :eek:

I've still yet to see or hatch a single charmander.. :frown:

Same boat, one bulbasaur, no charmanders, and loads of squirtles. Just can't seem to find starter nests. Nearly level 28 :/

It's also really annoying that the starter you pick comes with awful IVs as well.
How many pokemon do people have in their Pokedex now?
So far, registered 88 and seen 91. =l

Missed a Seaking, Scyther and a Slowbro. =(

Caught 103, seen 106 (ekans, porygon, dragonite)

Seen 135, caught 135 :colondollar:
Original post by tomtjl
Seen 135, caught 135 :colondollar:

Only 7 left? Which ones are you missing?
Only 7 left? Which ones are you missing?

I'm currently missing: Vileplume, Golem, Victreebel, Raichu, Muk, Marowak, Hitmonchan and Omastar. I'm up to 135 because I caught a Tauros (thanks to one of my friends in the USA :tongue:).

I have enough candies to get Golem and I only need 1 more Oddish and 4 more Bellsprout (something like that, anyways) to get their evolutions. Raichu and Marowak should be fairly easy to get due to their nests, but Muk, Hitmonchan and Omastar might take a while.
Original post by tomtjl
I'm currently missing: Vileplume, Golem, Victreebel, Raichu, Muk, Marowak, Hitmonchan and Omastar. I'm up to 135 because I caught a Tauros (thanks to one of my friends in the USA :tongue:).

I have enough candies to get Golem and I only need 1 more Oddish and 4 more Bellsprout (something like that, anyways) to get their evolutions. Raichu and Marowak should be fairly easy to get due to their nests, but Muk, Hitmonchan and Omastar might take a while.

How'd you get Farfetched?
Also, cheaters never win... 😩

Posted from TSR Mobile
How'd you get Farfetched?
Also, cheaters never win... 😩

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't have Farfetch'd. The 142 number excludes all region specific Pokemon (bar the 1 in your region). Hence he thought I needed 7 more.

And how exactly have I cheated?
Original post by tomtjl
I don't have Farfetch'd. The 142 number excludes all region specific Pokemon (bar the 1 in your region). Hence he thought I needed 7 more.

And how exactly have I cheated?

I assume when you said you caught a Taurus thanks to a mate in America, I thought you have them your login details to help you get it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tomtjl

Ooh very nice! Sounds like you've gotten most of the hard ones out of the way. I've caught a wild Omanyte before. I guess you just need to hatch as many 10k eggs as possible to try and get Hitmonchan and Omanytes from eggs?

Quick Reply