The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Vividly clear
If what you're saying is true then my opinion of the school is definitely lowered but at the same time, it still doesn't mean that they aren't a top institution with amazing world class facilities and massive funding.

And you said I'm calling KCL a top uni because of International rankings, well what am I supposed to use, national rankings where they factor in crap like student satisfaction and teacher staff ratio, computers available and NUS ranking and the other irrelevant nonsense like feedback quality, LOL.

King's is top 7 for research quality in the UK and top 5 for funding, and they are a part of the Golden triangle making them an elite university, along with LSE, who might be better than KCL, but definitely not by a wide margin because KCL is lenient.

I mean Southampton is probably the most lenient RG University and they are still a top Uni

The Golden Triangle is unofficial, and none of the universities talk about it at the level of the Russell Group
Original post by Twinpeaks
Cardiff is underrated because as others have even mentioned on here, simply because it's in Wales. For my course (Psychology) it's ranked 49th in the world, is consistently in the UK top 5 for research excellence, and has the largest research neuroimaging centre in the UK, with Europe's most powerful brain MRI scanner to which there is only one other in the World- Harvard University.

People talking down Cardiff simply because it's a Welsh uni, see guys, this is why the Welsh often hate the English. :nope:

I think the Welsh hate the English because the English oppressed them for more than 4 centuries. The Welsh didn't even get their own laws until the past couple decades!
Original post by thatapanydude
After reading the bs above about KCL, my views are that is neither overrated or underrated and it’s also not in the same tier as UCL, LSE etc as some have suggested. It’s probably at the same level with Manchester, Birmingham, St Andrews when you compare the whole package. Though King’s being in London does give it an advantage with jobs, internships, research etc. The interesting thing though is if you put unis the likes of Manchester, Birmingham, Nottingham etc in London and say Kings was in the middle of nowhere like St Andrews most would say including myself that the likes of Manchester, Birmingham, Nottingham etc are better. The point I’m trying to get across is that KCL is well rated but being in London, part of the golden triangle just gives it a sense of prestige compared to Manchester etc which is not.

So much yes!
Overrated:

UCL
KCL
LSE
University of the Arts, London
London Metropolitan

With the exception UAL and Met, all of the above are fantastic universities. The problem is that they aren't as good as people think they are. There is so much snobbery surrounding those first three its insane. People focus so much on "im gonna be a big lawyer with my degree from UCL." Drives me up the wall so damn much because they never for a second think that any data that says otherwise might be correct.

Underrated:

Robert Gordon
QUB
Dundee
Swansea
Falmouth
Original post by Twinpeaks
Cardiff is underrated because as others have even mentioned on here, simply because it's in Wales. For my course (Psychology) it's ranked 49th in the world, is consistently in the UK top 5 for research excellence, and has the largest research neuroimaging centre in the UK, with Europe's most powerful brain MRI scanner to which there is only one other in the World- Harvard University.

People talking down Cardiff simply because it's a Welsh uni, see guys, this is why the Welsh often hate the English. :nope:

Agree 100%. Cardiff beat KCL, UCL, and a whole host of other "top" universities in the REF. Serves as a testament to the commitment the university has. They even topped Imperial in Civil Engineering research.

It is such *******s when people say its one of the weakest RGs. They consistently excell in a wide range of subjects and have a good track record in student satisfaction and job prospects. I mean they placed about 80-100 places above the London unis in the latest annual THE Student Experience Survey (12th i think).

No one will have it held against them if they get a good honours out of Cardiff.
Some people value the privilege that it is to be able to go to university at all. Stop trying to make people feel *****y for going ahead with their education in a considered 'less than prestigious' university.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by asmuse123
The Golden Triangle is unofficial, and none of the universities talk about it at the level of the Russell Group

You sir/madam totally get it :awesome:
Original post by KardasDragon
Agree 100%. Cardiff beat KCL, UCL, and a whole host of other "top" universities in the REF. Serves as a testament to the commitment the university has. They even topped Imperial in Civil Engineering research.

It is such *******s when people say its one of the weakest RGs. They consistently excell in a wide range of subjects and have a good track record in student satisfaction and job prospects. I mean they placed about 80-100 places above the London unis in the latest annual THE Student Experience Survey (12th i think).

No one will have it held against them if they get a good honours out of Cardiff.

No it didn't, so stop lying and giving out false information on my thread.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/ng-interactive/2014/dec/18/university-research-excellence-framework-2014-full-rankings

KCL IS 7th, Cardiff is 17th, not even in the top 15
Reply 208

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/ng-interactive/2014/dec/18/university-research-excellence-framework-2014-full-rankings

Do you just stick around in your troll cave, and wait for me to post?

The person isn't lying tho ... https://www.timeshighereducation.com/news/ref-2014-results-table-of-excellence/2017590.article

Spoiler

Reply 211
Do you just stick around in your troll cave, and wait for me to post?

KCL was my insurance choice and it is definitely overrated imo.

I remember attending their offer holder's day and being constantly told about how 'prestigious' the university is by the admissions tutor. It almost sounded desperate.

To my knowledge, KCL is an average education institution. Its true strength lies in research by its academics (not students). It is one of the oldest universities in the UK and benefits from its large library of research papers which tends to be favored by world ranking. I think its domestic ranking reflects its teaching quality well.

I wasn't talking about Manchester
Reply 215

You're going to get high blood pressure if you stay this salty over your university.

Your university isn't great. It's also not bad.

Get that chip off your shoulder.
Original post by CherishFreedom
KCL was my insurance choice and it is definitely overrated imo.

I remember attending their offer holder's day and being constantly told about how 'prestigious' the university is by the admissions tutor. It almost sounded desperate.

To my knowledge, KCL is an average education institution. Its true strength lies in research by its academics (not students). It is one of the oldest universities in the UK and benefits from its large library of research papers which tends to be favored by world ranking. I think its domestic ranking reflects its teaching quality well.

Your knowledge is obviously very minute and limited then.
Original post by alow
You're going to get high blood pressure if you stay this salty over your university.

Your university isn't great. It's also not bad.

Get that chip off your shoulder.

Are you like drunk?

You were the one who waited 2 days for me to respond to upload to dumb picture, not me.

You are the one always starting the arguments, not me.

And lastly, you're the troll here, NOT ME.
Overrated : LSE ( extremely poor student satisfaction )
Underrated : Loughborough, UEA ( very good student satisfaction )
Reply 219
Are you like drunk?

You were the one who waited 2 days for me to respond to upload to dumb picture, not me.

You are the one always starting the arguments, not me.

And lastly, you're the troll here, NOT ME.

You're taking this all much too seriously.

Latest

Trending

Trending