The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alow
You're taking this all much too seriously.

Putz
Original post by fefssdf
Overrated : LSE ( extremely poor student satisfaction )
Underrated : Loughborough, UEA ( very good student satisfaction )

Wait are you going Loughborough for Maths? I think I maybe confusing with someone else on TSR.
Original post by Dynamic_Vicz
Wait are you going Loughborough for Maths? I think I maybe confusing with someone else on TSR.

Hey I'm going to Nottingham to do maths :smile:
Original post by fefssdf
Overrated : LSE ( extremely poor student satisfaction )
Underrated : Loughborough, UEA ( very good student satisfaction )

At-least i'm not the only person who thinks that LSE is overrated
Overrated - Warrick
Underrated - University of Law
Original post by Vividly clear
At-least i'm not the only person who thinks that LSE is overrated

I was looking at league tables based on student satisfaction and LSE was right down at the very very bottom which rases alarm bells if you ask me and personally I don't think prestige = good uni
Your knowledge is obviously very minute and limited then.

Only calling a spade a spade. Its teaching quality is average, as reflected by many league tables across the board. It is a strong research university, its academics are well paid and their projects are well funded.

You can't join a discussion and expect nothing but praise for KCL.
Original post by fefssdf
Hey I'm going to Nottingham to do maths :smile:
Omg congratulations :biggrin:. I'm considering Nottingham for Maths for undergraduate 2017 entry. Did you do STEP? (I know it's rare for it to be part of an offer).

My current choices are:
Manchester
Nottingham
Southampton
Surrey
[Undecided] Bath/Warwick/Loughborough/Sheffield.

What were your choices when you were applying for uni? :smile:
Reply 228
Original post by UWS
Underrated: My university that I got in to

Overrated: The universities that I couldn't get in to

Your societies on TSR=all the societies you really need
Omg congratulations :biggrin:. I'm considering Nottingham for Maths for undergraduate 2017 entry. Did you do STEP? (I know it's rare for it to be part of an offer).

My current choices are:
Manchester
Nottingham
Southampton
Surrey
[Undecided] Bath/Warwick/Loughborough/Sheffield.

What were your choices when you were applying for uni? :smile:

Hey I didn't do step cause I'm not smart and I would've had zero help from my school as well as my school is just a regular state school that doesn't even teach further maths meaning I only did AS further maths looool

Nottingham is a very good choice and obviously I'm biased but I know from the group chat I'm in that lots of Warwick rejects who did step and achieved amazing grades in maths and further maths end up coming to Notts so the standard of applicants is high but then again not everyone will have done STEP and it's only in your offer if you did it :smile:

If you're doing further maths A2 you're offer will be AAA/A*AB and if you're offering further maths AS then your offer will be AAA with an A in AS further maths as was the case with me but I'd done further maths AS in year 12 thankfully. Just a note I actually got A*(psychology)AB and they still accepted me even thought I didn't get AAA so bare in mind they do accept equivalent grades !!

I applied to

Nottingham
Manchester
UEA
Lancaster
York

I picked Nottingham as my firm choice because they have
1) lovely green campus
2) dedicated maths department ( York's department was kinda joined into the physics department ), and Manchester have an incredible maths department ( google Alan Turing building ! ) so if nice buildings is what you want then pick Manchester or Nottingham.
3) dedicated teaching officer for first years who you can go to for any issues
4) free choice of modules from pretty much every department during second and third year which can count towards a 1/6 of your degree so if you want to do something other than maths then this is someonthing to consider
5) good employability, yet this can be said for pretty much all maths courses so don't take employability stats into too much consideration

If I were you I would consider applying to
Warwick
Bath
Manchester
Nottingham
Southampton

Warwick give out a TONNE of offers so if you are offering step and further maths then it's worth applying as you never know you could get in and then your insurance choice could be somewhere like bath or Nottingham or Manchester or Southampton but consider what it is you want from a uni, acamedic reputation or a fun experience.

I wish you luck !
Probably one of the worst threads I've ever read.

But whilst I'm here, big up Liverpool. underrated as faaaak, best nightlife in the uk and probably the world, 420/420 would recommend.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by fefssdf
Hey I didn't do step cause I'm not smart and I would've had zero help from my school as well as my school is just a regular state school that doesn't even teach further maths meaning I only did AS further maths looool

Nottingham is a very good choice and obviously I'm biased but I know from the group chat I'm in that lots of Warwick rejects who did step and achieved amazing grades in maths and further maths end up coming to Notts so the standard of applicants is high but then again not everyone will have done STEP and it's only in your offer if you did it :smile:

If you're doing further maths A2 you're offer will be AAA/A*AB and if you're offering further maths AS then your offer will be AAA with an A in AS further maths as was the case with me but I'd done further maths AS in year 12 thankfully. Just a note I actually got A*(psychology)AB and they still accepted me even thought I didn't get AAA so bare in mind they do accept equivalent grades !!

I applied to

Nottingham
Manchester
UEA
Lancaster
York

I picked Nottingham as my firm choice because they have
1) lovely green campus
2) dedicated maths department ( York's department was kinda joined into the physics department ), and Manchester have an incredible maths department ( google Alan Turing building ! ) so if nice buildings is what you want then pick Manchester or Nottingham.
3) dedicated teaching officer for first years who you can go to for any issues
4) free choice of modules from pretty much every department during second and third year which can count towards a 1/6 of your degree so if you want to do something other than maths then this is someonthing to consider
5) good employability, yet this can be said for pretty much all maths courses so don't take employability stats into too much consideration

If I were you I would consider applying to
Warwick
Bath
Manchester
Nottingham
Southampton

Warwick give out a TONNE of offers so if you are offering step and further maths then it's worth applying as you never know you could get in and then your insurance choice could be somewhere like bath or Nottingham or Manchester or Southampton but consider what it is you want from a uni, acamedic reputation or a fun experience.

I wish you luck !
Hey don't say that. You are smart, you got into Nottingham. Yeah I am doing Further Maths for A2 so I am hoping to get A*AB offers from my uni choices (don't think i'll be able to get the A grade for Chemistry so the B grade offer would be reasonable). Wow you applied to Manchester as well! Too much similarities. Warwick may not be an option for me as I've heared their Maths degree is up to Cambridge's level. Tbh I want to go to a Uni that is well balanced so that I can have a great experience i.e Nighlife, Good reputation, Good research facilities, inside Top 100 unis in the world etc. That's why it's difficult for me if I find myself in the situation where Nottingham and Manchester both give me offers :s-smilie:. Anyways enough of my problems I hope you have a wonderful time at Nottingham and that you achieve that all important 2:1, or 1st :h:
Hey don't say that. You are smart, you got into Nottingham. Yeah I am doing Further Maths for A2 so I am hoping to get A*AB offers from my uni choices (don't think i'll be able to get the A grade for Chemistry so the B grade offer would be reasonable). Wow you applied to Manchester as well! Too much similarities. Warwick may not be an option for me as I've heared their Maths degree is up to Cambridge's level. Tbh I want to go to a Uni that is well balanced so that I can have a great experience i.e Nighlife, Good reputation, Good research facilities, inside Top 100 unis in the world etc. That's why it's difficult for me if I find myself in the situation where Nottingham and Manchester both give me offers :s-smilie:. Anyways enough of my problems I hope you have a wonderful time at Nottingham and that you achieve that all important 2:1, or 1st :h:

To pick between Nottingham and Manchester you need to decided whether you want to be on a green campus on in a massive city. That was the deal breaker for me and made me pick Notts despite Manchester's excellent reputation. Also have a look at uni stats as things like ' feedback on my work was prompt ' and the associated stats tell you a lot about the uni :smile:
Manchester's offer for me was A*AB if that helps :smile:
Original post by BirdIsWord
How is Queen Mary overrated? Nobody has ever said its that great.

1) LOL ur profile pic is tyler1 kek top banter i quite like it

2)QM is quite good i like it and this opinion is from personal experience

3) Some of these comments are just pure cancer
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by fefssdf
To pick between Nottingham and Manchester you need to decided whether you want to be on a green campus on in a massive city. That was the deal breaker for me and made me pick Notts despite Manchester's excellent reputation. Also have a look at uni stats as things like ' feedback on my work was prompt ' and the associated stats tell you a lot about the uni :smile:
Manchester's offer for me was A*AB if that helps :smile:

Thanks for the information. Hopefully I make the right decision when it comes to picking my firm or insurance. :smile:. You were really helpful!
Original post by C_Richards99
Oh sh*t, sorry I meant to quote Princepieman rather than you LOL.

This is not fair. To go from his grades at school to his A*AA predictions is incredible and shows that hard work goes a long way - it's nothing to be mocked. I personally hope he enjoys his year at Warwick and that it doesn't inflate his ego any more.

The only thing to criticise him about is how he is so judgemental about universities.

Which would be great if he got into Warwick, but will actually attend Swansea instead, and I think we can agree they're not quite on the same level. So overall a lot of talk, and not much to show for after resitting his exams... but hey, TSR rep points will be handy right? :smile:
Original post by -Miracle
Which would be great if he got into Warwick, but will actually attend Swansea instead, and I think we can agree they're not quite on the same level. So overall a lot of talk, and not much to show for after resitting his exams... but hey, TSR rep points will be handy right? :smile:

True, could always exchange them for free food you know.

Anyway, respect for not being an a-hole about breaking the news. Hope you're still well mate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by -Miracle

The funniest part is that he still calls himself "The IB Dude"

LOL
The funniest part is that he still calls himself "The IB Dude"

LOL

He kinda is the IB dude lol. He answers pretty much every query on the IB&Consultancy section of TSR.
Original post by Trapz99
He kinda is the IB dude lol. He answers pretty much every query on the IB&Consultancy section of TSR.

And I guess you're like his assistant since I always see you answer with him or for him.

Latest