The Student Room Group

Family is stopping me from having sex before marriage

I wish my parents and family weren't so backwards, they cannot be reasoned with and they'll get me married off to a guy who has similar thinking to them I feel so bleak about my life My mum regardless of what you tell her believes the hymen breaks during sex, she says it did for all her sisters and her but j tried to tell her that was probably a tear to the vaginal wall because the guy was being forceful. I don't want to wait until marriage but they've instilled such a fear in me that I can't bring myself to have sex outside marriage now even if I wanted to. My mum denies that my bedsheets will be shown around to prove I am a virgin but that my future husband will see it and he won't trust me and think i wasn't a virgin if he doesn't see blood. For this reason she won't let me use a tampon, she had such a go at me when I asked if I could use one :/

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
There would be something wrong if they were advocating anything else.
She's a weirdo, no offence. To control her daughters sexuality to that extent is psychotic.
Reply 3
Original post by lulucoco98
She's a weirdo, no offence. To control her daughters sexuality to that extent is psychotic.

It's because my family is muslim
Original post by Anonymous
It's because my family is muslim

If you firmly believe in something then believe it. If you think it's the right thing then follow what your mum says. I don't know any advice anyone could give you apart from move out when your 18+
Reply 5
Original post by lulucoco98
If you firmly believe in something then believe it. If you think it's the right thing then follow what your mum says. I don't know any advice anyone could give you apart from move out when your 18+

I'm nearly 20 years old
omg my mum has never even mentioned the word tampon, i think it must be for this reason
Reply 7
I'm nearly 20 years old

So next year potentially you will graduate and by then parents will be seeking a marital partner - whats the problem?
Original post by SlavsOut
There would be something wrong if they were advocating anything else.

boo.
Reply 9
I don't want them to find a martial partner for me. I want to find my own relationship at uni and fall in love by myself, however the guys i have liked in the past would not wait until marriage and sex is such a large part of a relationship that in the end i bet because i will have no other option, I will just end up having to marry someone my parents want me to :frown:
So next year potentially you will graduate and by then parents will be seeking a marital partner - whats the problem?
Can someone actually give me advice on what to do instead of advocating that I should sign my life away to the fate my parents want for me with some random guy they hold in high esteem
u have a boyfriend?
I wish my parents and family weren't so backwards, they cannot be reasoned with and they'll get me married off to a guy who has similar thinking to them I feel so bleak about my life My mum regardless of what you tell her believes the hymen breaks during sex, she says it did for all her sisters and her but j tried to tell her that was probably a tear to the vaginal wall because the guy was being forceful. I don't want to wait until marriage but they've instilled such a fear in me that I can't bring myself to have sex outside marriage now even if I wanted to. My mum denies that my bedsheets will be shown around to prove I am a virgin but that my future husband will see it and he won't trust me and think i wasn't a virgin if he doesn't see blood. For this reason she won't let me use a tampon, she had such a go at me when I asked if I could use one :/

I am in a similar situation to you, my mum wants me to wait until marriage. I am nearly 20 and I believe that this is the right path for me as guys nowadays are d*ckheads who will only sleep with you so that they can have something to talk about to their friends. Also I don't want to get pregnant before i'm ready and abstinence is 100% effective. Celibacy is not easy but in the end it will be worth it.

Additionally, never use a tampon; have you heard of Toxic Shock Syndrome (a model lost a leg because of it). Moreover, I think tampons are unhygienic.
Reply 13
Can someone actually give me advice on what to do instead of advocating that I should sign my life away to the fate my parents want for me with some random guy they hold in high esteem

Find a job far away from where they live (in another city) and move there.
I am in a similar situation to you, my mum wants me to wait until marriage. I am nearly 20 and I believe that this is the right path for me as guys nowadays are d*ckheads who will only sleep with you so that they can have something to talk about to their friends. Also I don't want to get pregnant before i'm ready and abstinence is 100% effective. Celibacy is not easy but in the end it will be worth it.

Additionally, never use a tampon; have you heard of Toxic Shock Syndrome (a model lost a leg because of it). Moreover, I think tampons are unhygienic.

How do you find a guy who's willing to wait till marriage? :frown:
Reply 15
I don't want them to find a martial partner for me. I want to find my own relationship at uni and fall in love by myself, however the guys i have liked in the past would not wait until marriage and sex is such a large part of a relationship that in the end i bet because i will have no other option, I will just end up having to marry someone my parents want me to :frown:

Well this why your parents are correct because these guys do not have any integrity

Force marriage is illegal in the UK, if you don't want to marry the person your family presents to you then don't marry them. As you're an adult, your family has no legal control over you or your body. There are many places you can go to seek advice, such as Citizens Advice Bureau, but if they're talking about forcing you to marry (or travel to another country against your will) then this is a matter for the police. Stand up to them and be your own person. Their attitudes, or the attitudes of other families, will not change unless people challenge them.
Well this why your parents are correct because these guys do not have any integrity

What if i was in a relationship with a guy, I'm not talking about one night stands.
Original post by Manitude
Force marriage is illegal in the UK, if you don't want to marry the person your family presents to you then don't marry them. As you're an adult, your family has no legal control over you or your body. There are many places you can go to seek advice, such as Citizens Advice Bureau, but if they're talking about forcing you to marry (or travel to another country against your will) then this is a matter for the police. Stand up to them and be your own person. Their attitudes, or the attitudes of other families, will not change unless people challenge them.

They're really clever about it, they'd never insinuate that its forced. My mum especially, shed just say so and so's son is single and has a good degree and is well off, what do you think of him? then a couple of days later shed be like have you thought anymore about it? and if i keep saying no and lets say he marries someone else shed be like i told you he was available, he wouldve married you, you've just let this opportunity go blah blah.
basically she'll do it in a really sly way and coerce me into a marriage
Reply 19
What if i was in a relationship with a guy, I'm not talking about one night stands.

They should be waiting also. Assuming they are at uni aswell, education and physical relationships do not mix. Marital reproduction is absolutely paramount.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending