The Student Room Group

grades to get into a course like mathematics A level

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by lightwoXd
Depends on the college as they'll all have different requirements (mine asked for a B at GCSE for example). Contact them and explain the situation and see what they say - if you were only 1 mark off a B it might sway things in your favour.

i hope they let me off i have an interview for college tomorrow
Original post by jtk101
i hope they let me off i have an interview for college tomorrow

That's definitely a good opportunity to talk about it - it's a lot easier to make a case for yourself face to face.
Do you know what the college would want you to get to do A level maths normally?
Reply 42
I dont think so. Even people withs B grades usually struggle and cant keep up the pace. If you are determined enough though Im sure you can make the grades
Reply 43
Original post by Starlight2000
My school would let you - yes they'd ask you whether you're sure you could handle it but they'd let you i mean if you were a high performing student overall who seemed to be facing such circumstances then they'd help you too
I got a C in bio and i guess being an internal student made it easier for me to still do it - I wasn't even persuaded to not take instead just put down for extra bio classes with minimal hesitation :smile: ask ur sixth form I'm sure they'd help you

Sadly my school refused me again and again I went to another and they said no ....They don't seem to give a f*** about my circumstance so I might just have to self teach myself
Reply 44
Original post by SargentZenj2
I dont think so. Even people withs B grades usually struggle and cant keep up the pace. If you are determined enough though Im sure you can make the grades

I know I can but the colleges don't seem to believe it gosh I told them to monitor me for a month bu they said they're too busy:3
Reply 45
That's definitely a good opportunity to talk about it - it's a lot easier to make a case for yourself face to face.
Do you know what the college would want you to get to do A level maths normally?

I failed :frown: my life is over I'm meant to get a B but I had a C one mark of a B. Maybe I should self teach
Reply 46
Depends on the college as they'll all have different requirements (mine asked for a B at GCSE for example). Contact them and explain the situation and see what they say - if you were only 1 mark off a B it might sway things in your favour.

Well I went to the interview and they didn't seem to care ...i mean I'm getting cured now soo there should be no issue right ....and they were like sorry ...ihate life.
Reply 47
Original post by Naruke
Getting a full A level in Maths would cost £97 and you'd have to arrange a price to actually sit the exams at a local school or centre.

https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/Support/Centre%20administration/Edexcel-Quals-Pricelist-2015-2016.pdf

does that mean I could do it in college
Original post by jtk101
Sadly my school refused me again and again I went to another and they said no ....They don't seem to give a f*** about my circumstance so I might just have to self teach myself

I'd say go and find yourself some tutors if u want to self teach or you could maybe take up an apprenticeship or even go to college ( I know college sounds bad but hey colleges r there to help after all :smile: I'm sure if you go you won't regret it as it would give you a sort of second chance but remember and rest assured that everything happens for a reason:smile:
Original post by jtk101
Well I went to the interview and they didn't seem to care ...i mean I'm getting cured now soo there should be no issue right ....and they were like sorry ...ihate life.

They won't let you do it even though you were only 1 mark off? Seems a bit tight - is this the college you'll definitely go to or do you have multiple interviews?
Reply 50
They won't let you do it even though you were only 1 mark off? Seems a bit tight - is this the college you'll definitely go to or do you have multiple interviews?

Lol I've realised I might as well self teach mathematics instead gosh colleges are soooo useless
The requirement would usually be a B. But of course theres a way round it, speak to the school explaining it and see what they say.
Reply 52
Original post by jtk101
Lol I've realised I might as well self teach mathematics instead gosh colleges are soooo useless

Where are you?
Original post by jtk101

That's ridiculous. That or I must've gone to a very lenient college haha (the requirement to study A level Physics was a B in both physics and maths GCSE, but when we started there were people who'd got into it with only a C in maths).
Reply 54
Original post by Kholmes1
The requirement would usually be a B. But of course theres a way round it, speak to the school explaining it and see what they say.

Basically a Plain no I've explained everything too. Then I asked them about me self teaching myself
Mathematics a level and they said no what the flip is wrong with my life
Reply 55
Original post by Naruke
Where are you?

UK London ...college called westminister kkingsway Iit was the easiest to enrol in such a short time:3
Reply 56

B grade I was one mark of it
Reply 57
Original post by Naruke
Where are you?

I'm somewhere xd and I still can't get into mathematics and self teaching would just be too independent of a thing to do I give up

Quick Reply

Latest