The Student Room Group

There is no evidence for God

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pride
With respect, all I'm doing is quoting the bible as much as I can. If you disagree, you're disagreeing with what it says. You were joking about heresy earlier. But what do you expect if you just follow your own ideas because the truths in the bible are tough to swallow? You know, truths like, we're sinners, destined for destruction; wide is the path that leads to destruction, and many pass along it, as Jesus said. God loves us, but not because we deserve it.

As for why God made the universe, I recognise what you're saying, but I do think that's a very man-centric view of things, when the bible clearly talks about God creating things for himself (Colossians 1:16 and elsewhere). This includes doing it for his own glory, demonstrating his attributes. What you say also sounds very close to God depending on man, whereas it is the other way around. You may want to google this concept called "the aseity of God" - it's about how God relies on nothing outside of himself. He does not need us, he does not need our love, he does not owe anything to anybody.
On one hand, you're right, God wants people to love him, and to be in his presence. He wants people to recognise who he is, and he's the greatest thing in existence, so that's quite a gift he's offering to mankind. We take pleasure from our relationship with God, yet, he takes pleasure from us taking pleasure (and vice-versa perhaps... such is the nature of relationship).
On the other hand, he knew about sin, death and suffering before he even made the universe (I recognise the word 'before' doesn't really work when we're talking about a knowledge outside of space-time, but who can fathom that?). God knew that Jesus would have to become a man and suffer the way he did. Therefore it must have all been a part of his plan. He did it ultimately for his own pleasure.

Well the bible says "the wages of sin is death". It says that before we know Christ, we are dead in our sins. Now, the specific details of death/hell (whether it's eternal conscious torment, or something else) are not clear, but what is clear is that the bible claims that we do deserve it.

We avoid death, not because of our own good deeds (Romans 3:10 says "nobody is good, no not one, no one seeks after God":wink:, but because we believe in Jesus. Our sin is imputed to Christ, his righteousness imputed to us. Our salvation is a gift, not something deserved. In heaven, nobody will be able to say to God "thanks for giving your son, but I earned my place here..."
No you didn't. God provided so that you could be there. Otherwise you would not be in the presence of a truly holy God.

"But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."
"This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins."

God bless you.
Original post by davidoriakhi
You had to believe in the big bang theory?
Oh well that explains a lot...

You do realize the Big Bang Theory was proposed by a priest, ie a believer, right?

There's no necessary contradiction between that and God.
Original post by inhuman
And by your logic it is fine to be racist as long as you don't act out.

It is fine to be racist if you don't act based on it. Everyone is allowed to have their own opinions.

Original post by inhuman
It is a perfectly legitimate belief according to you.

There are no "illegitimate" beliefs.
Original post by Little Toy Gun
You do realize the Big Bang Theory was proposed by a priest, ie a believer, right?

There's no necessary contradiction between that and God.

Well you learn something everyday...
Well you learn something everyday...

Yes. Hopefully one day you will learn that your personal God probably doesn't exist.
Original post by Little Toy Gun
Yes. Hopefully one day you will learn that your personal God probably doesn't exist.

There is no hope required in believing that my personal God dosen't exist, HE DOES, he has always existed and will forever exist.
What you need is the grace and faith to worship Him and glorify Him for who He is and all the things He has done in your life...
Original post by da_nolo
Appeal to ignorance.
If a person has provided evidence, then would it not be proper for said person to ask a skeptic why they are skeptical?

In which case the skeptic could explain why they say, "I do not believe your claim."

Otherwise, can you prove to me that you nor I are experiencing a world that does not exist due to stimulation of the brain?

It's not an appeal to ignorance, it's the burden of proof. Yes, sceptics do say that because none of the so-called evidence theists provide is convincing in the slightest.
Reply 507
Original post by will.devries.9
That is to say, one cannot prove or disprove the existence of God by use of empirical evidence (the evidence which I presume you are referring to).
This is not true when it comes to revelatory religions.
Once definitive and infallible statements have been made about the nature of a particular god and his actions, and the nature of the universe he created, we can demonstrate, by experiment and observation, that the idea of such a god is untenable.

By this method, the gods of the Bible and Quran have been disproved.
The only gods that cannot be disproved are ones about which no claims have been made.
Reply 508
Oh yeah by the way, God exists...
Oh yeah by the way, God doesn't exist...

See how easy that was?

Now, as you are the one claiming the existence of something that cannot be detected, nor its physical influence on anything else - it is up to you to provide some evidence.

If something cannot be detected or percieved in any measurable way, and has no detectable influence on anything - how is that different to "nothing"?
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
It's not an appeal to ignorance, it's the burden of proof. Yes, sceptics do say that because none of the so-called evidence theists provide is convincing in the slightest.
That is your opinion. You have a claim. Any person to have said or to say they are athiest is saying "there is no God." to have come to that decision because a lack of "evidence" it is an appeal to ignorance.

If this is not true than no one would claim themselves to being an atheist when just being skeptical. you would just be agnostic. To have no claim. to admit you can not say God exists or does not exist.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by QE2
Oh yeah by the way, God doesn't exist...

You have made claim, may you provide your support?
Reply 511
Original post by da_nolo
That is your opinion. You have a claim. Any person to have said or to say they are athiest is saying "there is no God." to have come to that decision because a lack of "evidence" it is an appeal to ignorance..
You seem to misunderstand the concepts here. Atheists claim that, because there is no evidence to suggest the existence of a god, then there is no reason to believe that there is.

"Argument from ignorance" only applies when making a positive claim, ie. you cannot claim god's existence because there is no evidence of his non-existence.

The atheist is merely saying that if something is not there, it is reasonable to assume that it is not there until there is some evidence that it is there. It would be ridiculous to expect us to accept every spurious and unsupported claim until it has been proved untrue!

If this is not true than no one would claim themselves to being an atheist when just being skeptical. you would just be agnostic. To have no claim. to admit you can not say God exists or does not exist
Atheism and agnosticism are two separate concepts. They are not different points on the same scale. One is a qualifier of the other. Don't worry, it is a very common mistake, even amongst atheists!
Personally, I am a gnostic atheist, but an agnostic adeist.
You sound like a gnostic theist.
Reply 512
Original post by da_nolo
You have made claim, may you provide your support?
Try reading things in context. I was parodying the baseless certainty of other poster's comment.

However, it can reasonably argued that the gods of the Quran and Bible do not exist because certain claims made within those books are demonstrably untrue.
Original post by da_nolo
That is your opinion. You have a claim. Any person to have said or to say they are athiest is saying "there is no God." to have come to that decision because a lack of "evidence" it is an appeal to ignorance.

If this is not true than no one would claim themselves to being an atheist when just being skeptical. you would just be agnostic. To have no claim. to admit you can not say God exists or does not exist.

Not so. Atheists by and large do not make the positive claim that no god exists, rather that they lack a belief in God due to lack of evidence. Most atheists readily admit that they would convert if presented with sufficient and convincing evidence.
Original post by da_nolo

I can't provide evidence that there is a massive undetectable BBC on your forehead.

But can you provide me evidence that there isn't a massive undetectable BBC on your forehead.

If neither can provide evidence who is right?

If it is to be established that there is a God, then we have to have good grounds for believing that this is indeed so. Until and unless some such grounds are produced we have literally no reason at all for believing; and in that situation the only reasonable posture must be that of either the negative atheist or the agnostic. So the onus of proof has to rest on the proposition. It must be up to them: first, to give whatever sense they choose to the word 'God', meeting any objection that so defined it would relate only to an incoherent pseudo-concept; and, second, to bring forward sufficient reasons to warrant their claim that, in their present sense of the word 'God', there is a God.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Not so. Atheists by and large do not make the positive claim that no god exists, rather that they lack a belief in God due to lack of evidence. Most atheists readily admit that they would convert if presented with sufficient and convincing evidence.

Is this not the definition?
Atheism is, in a broad sense, the rejection of belief in the existence of deities. In a narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities. Most inclusively, atheism is the absence of belief that any deities exist. Atheism is contrasted with theism, which, in its most general form, is the belief that at least one deity exists.

What is the difference between agnostic or atheist if both just lack belief? There would have to be some assertion.

If anyone were to be open to the existence of a thing (in this case deity) then they would be neutral. Atheism has never been neutral.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by QE2
Try reading things in context. I was parodying the baseless certainty of other poster's comment.

However, it can reasonably argued that the gods of the Quran and Bible do not exist because certain claims made within those books are demonstrably untrue.

I would love to go over them. However, would characteristics of a man dispute that man's existence?

Original post by QE2
You seem to misunderstand the concepts here. Atheists claim that, because there is no evidence to suggest the existence of a god, then there is no reason to believe that there is.

1. I never heard an atheist say that. Even among the ones responding (which includes you) I have only seen or heard the claim "God does not exist."

Still, disbelief does not go straight to no belief. Just because a person has a hard time accepting the evidence for God or any deity does not mean they should or would automatically jump to a conclusion of, "do not exist."

"Argument from ignorance" only applies when making a positive claim, ie. you cannot claim god's existence because there is no evidence of his non-existence.
Argument from ignorance, also known as appeal to ignorance (in which ignorance represents "a lack of contrary evidence"), is a fallacy in informal logic. It asserts that a proposition is true because it has not yet been proven false (or vice versa)

http://grammar.about.com/od/ab/g/appealignorterm.htm
http://philosophy.lander.edu/scireas/ignorance.html
"B. If one argues that God or telepathy, ghosts, or UFO's do not exist because their existence has not been proven beyond a shadow of doubt, then this fallacy occurs."

http://www.txstate.edu/philosophy/resources/fallacy-definitions/Appeal-to-Ignorance.html
This fallacy occurs when you argue that your conclusion must be true, because there is no evidence against it. This fallacy wrongly shifts the burden of proof away from the one making the claim.

The evidence suggests one does not need to make a "positive" claim in order to adhere to appeal to ignorance. HM...I guess I'll go with the evidence.

The atheist is merely saying that if something is not there, it is reasonable to assume that it is not there until there is some evidence that it is there. It would be ridiculous to expect us to accept every spurious and unsupported claim until it has been proved untrue!
Being neutral makes logical sense. Except neutral is not to say or assume that something is not present. Even assuming something is asserting a claim.

Atheism and agnosticism are two separate concepts. They are not different points on the same scale. One is a qualifier of the other. Don't worry, it is a very common mistake, even among atheists!
Personally, I am a gnostic atheist, but an agnostic adeist.
You sound like a gnostic theist.
How ?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by davidguettafan
So why do people still believe in God?

Original post by Retropattern
there is no evidence that god does not exist.
This.
Original post by AshEntropy
There is also no evidence that a flying spaghetti monster doesn't exist.
Which is why we respect you for believing in such a thing.

I would strongly recommend the film:
God's not dead
whichever side you're on, it examines both arguments.
Original post by Proxenus
I can't provide evidence that there is a massive undetectable BBC on your forehead.

But can you provide me evidence that there isn't a massive undetectable BBC on your forehead.

If neither can provide evidence who is right?
Good concept, but the basis in comparison would be "if neither can provide evidence, what stance should I take?

If you said this BBC is on my forehead and I said it is not, but neither could provide evidence to support either claim - then TED from left field would be unable to take your side or my side. It would be illogical for him to take your side just as it would be to take my side since TED would be unable to answer the question, "is there BBC on nolo's forehead?"

So what stance would he take? NEUTRAL - he would not take any side. Atheism takes a side of "no God" and is not NEUTRAL.

If it is to be established that there is a God, then we have to have good grounds for believing that this is indeed so. Until and unless some such grounds are produced we have literally no reason at all for believing; and in that situation the only reasonable posture must be that of either the negative atheist or the agnostic. So the onus of proof has to rest on the proposition. It must be up to them: first, to give whatever sense they choose to the word 'God', meeting any objection that so defined it would relate only to an incoherent pseudo-concept; and, second, to bring forward sufficient reasons to warrant their claim that, in their present sense of the word 'God', there is a God.

Again, same as above. If you do not think there is enough evidence to believe in a claim then you do not automatically believe in the opposite. there has to be evidence for the opposite in order to believe in that as well.

For example: John is in court for murder. Is John guilty or innocent?
In civil law, if a case is dismissed - it means there is not enough evidence to judge a person as guilty. This does not mean they are innocent!!!!

There is only three stances to take.
1John is guilty.
2John is innocent.
3Neutral (not enough evidence to claim either)

Of coarse, humans will respond emotionally.

So, God may or may not exist is not the same as God does not exist. the position of being agnostic or an atheist falls back to the concept as to whether or not BBC is on my forehead. what stance should be taken?
Original post by da_nolo
Is this not the definition?
Atheism is, in a broad sense, the rejection of belief in the existence of deities. In a narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities. Most inclusively, atheism is the absence of belief that any deities exist. Atheism is contrasted with theism, which, in its most general form, is the belief that at least one deity exists.

What is the difference between agnostic or atheist if both just lack belief? There would have to be some assertion.

If anyone were to be open to the existence of a thing (in this case deity) then they would be neutral. Atheism has never been neutral.

Agnosticism and atheism are not mutually exclusive, the former is a descriptor or qualifier. Most atheists are in fact agnostic atheists.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending