The Student Room Group

Do you buy CDs?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JavaScriptMaster

for me to go on the internet and download an epic mix like that illegally it would take hours. I'd rather just pay for a CD

YouTube? It's pretty much instant.
Original post by catinsomehat

128kbps? No thanks.
Original post by catinsomehat

I don't trust YouTube.... or anything with 'You' in the name
thats why the vinyl is coming back. the whole collecting aspect to it
I just use Spotify
Original post by hellodave5
thats why the vinyl is coming back. the whole collecting aspect to it
I just use Spotify

I think it's coming back for other reasons, too. People want to support artists and the profit on vinyls has the potential to be quite high as they're high value items. Less volume is sold, but more money per sale for the band selling them.

Also, there's a definite 'ritual' with playing them. You don't just click a button on iTunes or even a CD player. You have to take it out of the sleeve, place it on the player, clean it, drop the needle, drop the cover on the player and listen. Then repeat some of the steps half way through to turn it over, then reverse the process to put it away again. This ritual (combined with the finite number of listens you get per record) forces you to appreciate what you're doing and really listen to the music rather than have it as background.

Thirdly, it's "cool" to be into vintage stuff at the moment.

Finally, some people reckon it sounds better. My opinion on it is that - if it does sound better - you will only notice it on high end systems. I have a record player and it's awful. I don't even use it any more as it isn't capable of doing the records justice (I bought it as it had USB capability, it clips/distorts on the treble too badly to use it and there's almost no bass). My dad's setup, on the other hand, is very good. But would cost a few thousand pounds to get similar specifications today.

For the record (pun intended), I do also collect vinyl and tape, but nowhere near as much as CDs.
Yes, far too much. I am starting to run out of space for them in my CD cabinet.
i buy them from pawnbrokers it great frugality
i get 10 for £10 rather than 1 brand new
but i'll buy new if i really want one
Reply 27
Yes. Spotify is great for discovering new music - but I have found that sometimes they take things off. I like to have a hard copy of albums that I really enjoy.
My dad has around 5,000-->10,000. He bought about 5 in the past month. He has OCD though so CDs are how he "Gets his Fix" on obsession? I don't know XD
Reply 29
I buy cd's but mostly secondhand. I normally pick them up at Boot sales, charity shops and Amazon. I then rip them to iTunes so I can put them on my Ipod. Personally I find this much cheaper than buying digital music as you can pick up a second-hand cd (yeah so it is not going to be the newest albumn) for about £1-£2 rather than a download which is probably £4 . Also then you can arrange swaps with friends too!
Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad
128kbps? No thanks.

192kbps is better, which is what I have all of my MP3s at on my laptop.

I do buy CD's, but I always then rip the CDs to my laptop as 192kbps MP3s, and they sound fine.

If I just stuck to CDs, i.e. no ripping, I'd have to mess about with swapping CDs. Oh yeah, not to mention that my 10 year old "Hi-Fi" system (a Bush MN-013) is not very good and a waste of time - it's sometimes lucky to play CD-R's, there is no AUX, the FM radio and aerial is crap, and the speakers are only about 9W if you're lucky. Whereas, my laptop has 500GB of storage, plus a 2TB external drive (so no need to switch various CDs, just find the song in windows media player and play it) - plenty of space for all my media - and that goes via a 3.5mm cable to my Logitech Z5500 surround speakers (set up in dual stereo mode) at 500W total. If I wanted to use surround, I can use either virtual surround, or use a USB sound card to get actual surround sound (via 3x 3.5mm cables) as my laptop's sound card only supports stereo.

Sorted. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
I only buy CDs when I buy Big Finish Doctor Who audio plays, although I only buy the CD if it is a special release, as you can download them.
Yesss, i don't trust itunes i always feel like if i pay for an album on itunes one day it will tell me that i didn't buy it in the first place when i clearly did. Plus actually going out to buy the CD, opening the packaging and looking through the little book has its own charm which things like spotify can't provide.
Never have.. Probably never will.

Don't listen to music that much. If I do, I'll just go on YouTube or listen to it on
Spotify. If I'm washing up I'll put on the Radio.

I did have an MP3 Player a few years ago at one point but as I have a short commute now it's just not
worth it.

I do still have a few old Cassette Tapes lying around though :O
(edited 7 years ago)
yeah bought a few CDs recently, they have nice quality and are just more fun to use :smile: oh and of course i like owning the music physically.. I do still rip them to my pc though
I rarely ever buy CDs and when I do it's usually only from my absolute favourite group or their members who have solo albums.
Original post by spotify95
192kbps is better, which is what I have all of my MP3s at on my laptop.

smh
>319kbps or go home.
Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad
smh
>319kbps or go home.

320kbps would be nice, and if I adjusted my windows media player settings, I could import everything as 320kbps, but that will take up almost double the storage space and on devices such as phones, MP3 players etc, the slightly lower bit rate does make a big difference.

Now when they have 64GB or 128GB storage as standard on phones, then yeah, 320kbps will be viable, but not right now when 16GB phones are still out there!
Original post by spotify95
320kbps would be nice, and if I adjusted my windows media player settings, I could import everything as 320kbps, but that will take up almost double the storage space and on devices such as phones, MP3 players etc, the slightly lower bit rate does make a big difference.

Now when they have 64GB or 128GB storage as standard on phones, then yeah, 320kbps will be viable, but not right now when 16GB phones are still out there!

Of course it's viable. I have 237 albums on my phone right now, all 320s.
I just don't see why anyone who loves music would compromise, especially when storage is dirt cheap these days.

Edit: Sorry, that 237 album figure is misleading; 1650 tracks is more accurate.
(edited 7 years ago)
Yes. I still buy CDs (and vinyl, and even cassettes!) because I love the collecting aspect. According to Discogs, my collection is 635 CDs, records and tapes, and then there's a pile of 9 sitting next to me I haven't catalogued yet (most of them need adding to the Discogs database and that's a pain in the arse): https://www.discogs.com/user/TheDefiniteArticle/collection?sort=artist&sort_order=asc

Quick Reply

Latest